stairway solo a composite?

jsj

in the latest classic rock edition with the feature on the 4th album, one of the engineers suggests that the solo was constructed from the 3 takes that jimmy did being edited together. i've never read this before, it's always been said that jimmy did 3 takes and chose the best one

any views?

I have read in Jimmy Page interviews that the solo was adlib; (no preparation) and that the solo on the record is all one take. I believe he also said that made only recorded a couple of takes and chose the best one. My ears tell me that the solo is made of two different takes edited together.

Jimmy has indeed always said that he played three mostly improvised solos and then chose the best one. Andy Johns was the engineer, and he would have been there when this happened. So what does he have to say about it? Essentially that it was a bit of a struggle for Jimmy, and they were both getting a little nervous, but then, this happened: "And then bang, he did the solo that we kept and it was spectacular - and it was just off the top of his head." (Total Guitar, June 2011) Which is exactly what Jimmy has said.

If it isn't Andy saying that the solo was an edit of three takes, how would that person even know what happened? To me it sounds like somebody who read an interview with Jimmy years ago and doesn't really remember what he said other than that he played three solos. ;)

I seriously doubt that especially coming from a guy like Jimmy. Not only that but with the recording gear of the day it would be hard to splice so perfectly, even today I've seen people try it with modern recording software and it never comes off right. However there are two separate guitar tracks at the end of the solo kind of doing a call and response thing. I could see where within the solo it could have happened for sure but I just don't think Jimmy would have done it like that, people just didn't do that kind of thing then. I've also heard Andy Johns say that they just went through some takes and before too long they had one that was it.

I seriously doubt that especially coming from a guy like Jimmy. Not only that but with the recording gear of the day it would be hard to splice so perfectly, even today I've seen people try it with modern recording software and it never comes off right. However there are two separate guitar tracks at the end of the solo kind of doing a call and response thing. I could see where within the solo it could have happened for sure but I just don't think Jimmy would have done it like that, people just didn't do that kind of thing then. I've also heard Andy Johns say that they just went through some takes and before too long they had one that was it.

It would be no problem to splice it perfectly. People were pros at stuff like that back then. Add to the fact that he prolly cut the 3 solos at around the same time, same room, same gear, same mood.....Don't think it would be hard to splice it seamlessly.

I know it was 7 or 8 years later, but the Comfortably Numb solo was done with faders. Why couldn't they do that with Stairway if that's how they chose to attack it.

Everything I've read is he had the opening phrase and a few other little ideas and just went for it, did 3 takes, used the 1st.

Jimmy has indeed always said that he played three mostly improvised solos and then chose the best one. Andy Johns was the engineer, and he would have been there when this happened. So what does he have to say about it? Essentially that it was a bit of a struggle for Jimmy, and they were both getting a little nervous, but then, this happened: "And then bang, he did the solo that we kept and it was spectacular - and it was just off the top of his head." (Total Guitar, June 2011) Which is exactly what Jimmy has said.

If it isn't Andy saying that the solo was an edit of three takes, how would that person even know what happened? To me it sounds like somebody who read an interview with Jimmy years ago and doesn't really remember what he said other than that he played three solos. ;)

the fella that said this was Digby Smith an engineer assistant at the studio; who said

"we did three takes of lead guitar and comped the solo from those three takes. I was audacious enough, even as a 19 year old, to point out that one of Andy's (Johns) switches didn't quite work and that there was an alternative solution that might"

i'm not saying i agree with his statement, just reporting what's said in the feature. as it's never been mentioned anywhere before by Johns or anyone else i'm inclined to thinks he's mistaken

The Beatles Sgt. Pepper has edits all over it including instruments and sound effects. That was back in 1967 with 4 track. I don't think there was a problem with edits in 1971.

the fella that said this was Digby Smith an engineer assistant at the studio; who said

"we did three takes of lead guitar and comped the solo from those three takes. I was audacious enough, even as a 19 year old, to point out that one of Andy's (Johns) switches didn't quite work and that there was an alternative solution that might"

i'm not saying i agree with his statement, just reporting what's said in the feature. as it's never been mentioned anywhere before by Johns or anyone else i'm inclined to thinks he's mistaken

OK, I see, thanks. :) I haven't changed my opinion though. There really is absolutely no reason whatsoever to dispute what Jimmy has said about this, with perfect consistency over all these years, let alone when Andy Johns says the same thing - and let's not forget either that these two have indeed given different accounts of some other things.

Jimmy at the time had a lot of experience working in the studio of course, and he had indeed worked as a producer for years before Led Zeppelin was formed, so he will have known a great deal about different available options and possibilities working in the studio. But the main thing is that as a former session player, he had developed real discipline as a player in the studio - he had been a busy session guitarist for years in the 1960s not least because he was really effective.

Speculating about what The Beatles may have done is purely irrelevant here, and the simple fact is that in these years the expected thing with "progressive groups", as they liked to call themselves at the time, was to more or less just wing the solo and then use the best version. Just very recently, somewhere else on this forum, there was a thread about how Jimmy Page was present when Martin Barre played the solo for Aqualung that actually was used on the album. That's another classic solo for you recorded at about the same time, and in much the same way too.

Archived