'Nevermind' 20th anniversary

The Pagemeister

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It's been 20 years since the release of Nirvana's "Nevermind." The album, which included cultural anthems like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are," marked the beginning of the alt-rock movement of the 1990s and transformed drummer Dave Grohl, bassist Krist Novoselic and singer-guitarist Kurt Cobain into the poster boys of Generation X, until Cobain's tragic suicide in 1994.

On a recent afternoon inside 606 Studio, the sprawling headquarters for Grohl's band Foo Fighters, Grohl and Novoselic, while slumped on a couch near the same soundboard that they used to record "Nevermind," reminisced with producer Butch Vig about how they made the album that forever changed their lives and what impact it had on the world.

To commemorate the 20th anniversary of "Nevermind," which has sold more than 30 million copies worldwide, Universal is re-issuing the remastered album Sept. 27 with various special editions. Bonus material includes obscure B-sides, alternate mixes, live recordings and video of the band's 1991 Halloween concert at Seattle's Paramount Theatre.

A limited super deluxe edition features rehearsal recordings captured on a boombox ("It was in the bottom of a box of stuff that was gonna get thrown out," Novoselic recalls) and the original unused "Nevermind" mixes that Vig hoarded until the group began planning for the album's anniversary last year.

GO To Interview

Believe it or not, I listened to "Nevermind" for the first time last weekend. I have just about begun exploring the Nirvana catalogue. It is pretty fascinating! B) I remember listening to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time when I was in the second grade. Eventhough, I could barely understand what Kurt Cobain was saying and what the song meant and stuff, I did like that tune (a lot!). The vid for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" used to air about 3 to 5 times per day on MTV when I was a kid and I never got tired of it. Besides, what with me already listening to bands like Queen and The Jimi Hendrix Experience, I had an early love for rock music in general B) But strangely, I never actually explored Nirvana's catalogue. I guess that tune has been at the back of my head for many years but I was never really interested in the band or the catalogue. Then last Friday on MTV Classic, they aired the vid for "Smells LIke Teen Spirit" on a show called "karoke" and it all came back to me! I hadn't seen that vid in over 15 years and it was like a trip down memory lane. Then on Saturday, I ran out and purchased "Nevermind" and I can tell you that I am so fuckin' glad I did! :) That album is a classic!!! :)

Archived