LZ 75 S Davis

henrybonzo

been reading this book, always enjoy a zep book but the one thing i liked was when Davis was staying at the Hyatt in a room underneath Bonzo whilst he is playing along to Alphonso Mouzon and Davis said he recored the drumming, has this recording ever surfaced? would be great to hear a "neighbours" perspective of the greatest drummer jamming along to his favourite tracks...we've all done it! :)

been reading this book, always enjoy a zep book but the one thing i liked was when Davis was staying at the Hyatt in a room underneath Bonzo whilst he is playing along to Alphonso Mouzon and Davis said he recored the drumming, has this recording ever surfaced? would be great to hear a "neighbours" perspective of the greatest drummer jamming along to his favourite tracks...we've all done it! :)

Man, that's a pretty cool excerpt your posted here. I am reluctant to by the book for the sole reason that Steven Davis is the author. Back in the day "Hammer of the Gods" was one of the only written testaments to the Zeppelin legacy (besides your monthly magazines). At first , like many - I believed alot of it, but realized later on that some or most of it was bullshit -far fetched exaggerations of stories, told by Davis. I still have my copy of that too, but it just claims a nice spot in my Zeppelin memorabilia/collection room. I'm sure this book is an interesting read, but not sure if I would buy it. How is it so far from what you've read?

Thanks for that bit of info!

ive pretty much finished it,its a good read and nice to know the innocent origins of the Golden God balcony photo!! Plant comes across as a bit of a piss taker, Bonzos always hammered or sleeping, Jones doesnt get much of a look in and Page is Page, candles red curtains n all! seems like this was the start of the original Heroin diaries, another interestingbit was that Jones was annoyed about not being interveiwed as much as Plant or Page, Bonzo wouldnt really give anyone the time of day, but jones wanted a bit more limelight on stage but the lighting guys were under strict instructions by Jimmy that JPJ and JB not be lit up, only P&P, true or not it seems that way from the DVD! this was the start of JPJ's extended piano jams in No Quarter, stickin to Jimmy haha

i dont really think a lot of this book is made up like HOTG, as he was on tour with them for the first 5 weeks of the US 75 tour so maybe a pinch of salt is needed but he said he has transcribed it from notes he made at the time so who knows, its not a massive book so you could get through it in a day, not like K Richards Life which seems to take me forever to get through! ;)

When Giants walked wasnt half bad either

There is another thread...or two...about the LZ 75 book by Stephen Davis around here.

Considering his track record, I have doubts about half the stuff he writes in the book. He comes across as an idiot most of the time, and though the book was marketed as being a tour diary, it turns out he was actually AT very few shows.

I already posted a rant about this book in one of the other threads, so I am not going to rehash all that. Suffice to say that there IS, or COULD BE, a great book to be written about one of Led Zeppelin's mythic tours. Alas, LZ 75 is not it.

So far, Led Zeppelin doesn't have an equivalent to Robert Greenfield's "STP: A Journey Through America".

Man, that's a pretty cool excerpt your posted here. I am reluctant to by the book for the sole reason that Steven Davis is the author. Back in the day "Hammer of the Gods" was one of the only written testaments to the Zeppelin legacy (besides your monthly magazines). At first , like many - I believed alot of it, but realized later on that some or most of it was bullshit -far fetched exaggerations of stories, told by Davis. I still have my copy of that too, but it just claims a nice spot in my Zeppelin memorabilia/collection room. I'm sure this book is an interesting read, but not sure if I would buy it. How is it so far from what you've read?

Thanks for that bit of info!

It's a much better book than "Hammer Of The Gods" because it makes no pretense that it's not Led Zeppelins story but Davis's himself through his own observationsof the band & even things that were going on in his life at the time. It's more like Davis's private journal which just happens to involve Led Zeppelin. Thankfully he also didn't write it in the style of a bad Danielle Steele novel which has always been my major complaint against "Hammer Of The Gods", basically building LZ up to tear them down at the end as some sort of analogy for what was "wrong" with the 70's. Just stick to the facts & lose the Paganini comparisons & Satan at the crossroads nonsense, it's hack writing at it's worst.