Sensational Space Shifters Coming to Birmingham, AL

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/06/robert_plant_and_sensational_s.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Robert Plant will bring his latest music project, the Sensational Space Shifters, to Birmingham's Alabama Theatre on Aug. 12.

Promoter Red Mountain Entertainment announced the show today. Tickets go on sale June 22, priced at $35-$59.50 through Ticketmaster.

Singer-songwriter Patty Griffin, who performed with Plant in his Band of Joy, also is on the bill.

Plant, 63, a legendary singer in rock music, made his fame with Led Zeppelin in the late 1960s and '70s. With that band, he is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and UK Music Hall of Fame. Led Zeppelin also received a Grammy Award for lifetime achievement.

Plant's had a successful solo career since Zeppelin's breakup, and he teamed with bluegrass-folk artist Alison Krauss in 2007 for a top-selling album, "Raising Sand," produced by T Bone Burnett. (Plant and Krauss performed in April 2008 at the BJCC Arena, backed by a band that included Burnett on guitar.)

With the Band of Joy, Plant appeared at Mobile's Saenger Theatre in July 2010. More recently, he teamed with Lucinda Williams for a Fats Domino cover on Lil' Band O' Gold's next record, "Plays Fats."

The Sensational Space Shifters lineup features Plant on lead vocals and harmonica, with support from Juldeh Camara and Justin Adams -- founders of the band JuJu, which combines African, jazz and rock music -- as well as John Baggott, Liam "Skin" Tyson, Dave Smith and Billy Fuller.

• Administrators

Here's the press release:

Robert Plant Presents The Sensational Space Shifters

Live in Birmingham, Alabama 8-12-12

rp_sss_logo.gif

ONE OF ONLY TWO NORTH AMERICAN SHOWS THIS SUMMER

PERFORMING AT BIRMINGHAM’S HISTORIC ALABAMA THEATRE

SUNDAY, AUGUST 12TH

BIRMINGHAM, AL (6.15.12) – Red Mountain Entertainment announced today that Robert Plant will perform one of only two North American shows this summer at Birmingham’s Historic Alabama Theatre on Sunday, August 12th. The performance will feature Plant’s latest project, The Sensational Space Shifters. Robert is joined for this special show (from Austin, TX) Miss Patty Griffin who brings her beautiful songs and very special voice. Since Patty’s Grammy winning album “Downtown Church” in 2010 she has collaborated with Plant in the very successful Band of Joy project.

The Sensational Space Shifters are:

Robert Plant – vocals, harmonica

Juldeh Camara of JuJu – ritti (one-stringed African Violin), kologo (African Banjo), talking drum, vocals.

Justin Adams of JuJu, Jah Wobble – guitar, bendir, vocals

John Baggott of Massive Attack, Portishead – keyboards

Liam “Skin” Tyson of Cast – guitar, vocals

Dave Smith of JuJu, Outhouse Ruhabi – drums and percussion

Billy Fuller of JuJu, Beak – bass guitar, vocals

Tickets for the very special engagement will go on sale Friday, June 22nd at 10am through Ticketmaster and are priced at $59.50, $45.00 and $35.00, plus applicable service charge.

http://www.robertpla...labama-8-12-12/

Lucky you ... I am also going to see him in Kentish Town, London .. about five miles from MY house ...

But I'd so love to see him in Birmingham, Alabama !

Lucky you ... I am also going to see him in Kentish Town, London .. about five miles from MY house ...

But I'd so love to see him in Birmingham, Alabama !

Well, come to Birmingham, and see Robert, truth and beauty! It would be great to have you here!

My wife secured our tickets on Friday, shortly after they went on sale. Row R, main level left, facing the stage.

After a mapquest search, I see we live a bit over 3.5 miles from the Alabama Theatre. Closer than I realized.

I'm still blown away that Robert Plant would play Birmingham, as only one of two North American dates. (at this time)

The Alabama Theatre is an elegant relic of a bygone era, just an excellent venue to experience a concert.

I hope more LZ forum members will be attending...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived