Gay Marriage, Freedom of Speech and Chicken Sandwiches

DAS

And I am just sorry to say that you are too stubborn to accept salvation from Jesus. I am sorry to hear that you switched from Catholic to "atheist"

I don't need salvation from Jesus. I don't care that you believe in God, but I do care that you think I should too. I don't think you should be an atheist, all I ask is that you recognize I exist, and that I'm allowed to differ from you on the matter. Don't be sorry; I'm happy with the way my life is, the same as I'm sure you're happy your life is the way it is.

Well stated on the definitions. I am a bit surprised to learn you are an atheist and so open about it. I wonder if your parents accept this? I mean, many would not lets face it. Your choice. I always wonder why when I learn someone is though,. I expect no answer and that is fine. But I am surprised

My parents don't care that I'm an atheist. The same as they don't care my sister is. As long as we're happy, healthy, not doing drugs or in prison, they don't care. They leave us to our consciences, and how we choose to use them. While they are religious and conservative, they understand it's not for everyone, and people should be free to believe, or not believe, as they see fit.

I don't need salvation from Jesus. I don't care that you believe in God, but I do care that you think I should too. I don't think you should be an atheist, all I ask is that you recognize I exist, and that I'm allowed to differ from you on the matter. Don't be sorry; I'm happy with the way my life is, the same as I'm sure you're happy your life is the way it is.

My parents don't care that I'm an atheist. The same as they don't care my sister is. As long as we're happy, healthy, not doing drugs or in prison, they don't care. They leave us to our consciences, and how we choose to use them. While they are religious and conservative, they understand it's not for everyone, and people should be free to believe, or not believe, as they see fit.

I agree with you totally. I just cannot imagine living my life as an atheist. And I do love Xmas and think it brings people together. I am a believer for many many reasons. You are entitled to your choices, I guess I just feel a little sad about that choice.

Alright, I am sorry that you think that you do not need salvation. Everyone does...I guess salvation wasn't stressed as much in your family as it is in mine. You will see soon that your life isn't as happy as you wish it could be.

I can prove there is a God! Is that what you want me to do? GO outside and tell me how the stars stay where they are. Tell me why the plants grow up. Tell me how we have souls and animals don't. And while we are at it, let's start on the complexity of the brain. How did we get rational and animals never got the privilege of it? Why not all the synapses and the connections and the white ,after and the dark matter and the nerves and the eyes and they ventricles and the glands in the brain. Why are we all so complex? Is there life after death? IS there a purpose to life?

If there is no purpose to life than there is not use to be living right now. So why not abort our babies? Why not suck there brains out or rip their limbs apart or burn their skin with concentrated salt? It's not like their life matters anyhow.

These are all philosophical questions, and philosophy by default, has no right or wrong answer. It's not like asking someone to add 2 and 2 together. Is there life after death? The dead go on living in the memories of those who mourn and grieve for them, but that's not the same as thinking you're going to be walking around on the clouds with angels. Is there a purpose to life? What do you want to do with your life? That's your purpose.

These are all philosophical questions, and philosophy by default, has no right or wrong answer. It's not like asking someone to add 2 and 2 together. Is there life after death? The dead go on living in the memories of those who mourn and grieve for them, but that's not the same as thinking you're going to be walking around on the clouds with angels. Is there a purpose to life? What do you want to do with your life? That's your purpose.

But there are answers to those questions...

Slightly off topic here:

Friend of mine worked at Chick-fil-a for several years. Shortly before he quit, there was an incident in his store.

A homeless man came in and ordered a drink and sandwich. After he was finished he asked my friend to use the telephone so he could call a friend to pick him up. He let him. He then went outside and grabbed a newspaper, came back in and began to read it. Somewhere between this time his managers phone the police to have this harmless homeless man removed from the store, without even asking the man. Police come and walk up to the man telling him he's got to go. Real Christian, ay!?

My friend, the good person that he is, ordered and payed for another meal for the homeless man to eat so he didn't have to stand outside in record heat. This really pissed off the managers and the police. By the time the police had left, the homeless man's ride was waiting outside.

I can prove there is a God! Is that what you want me to do? GO outside and tell me how the stars stay where they are. Tell me why the plants grow up. Tell me how we have souls and animals don't. And while we are at it, let's start on the complexity of the brain. How did we get rational and animals never got the privilege of it? Why not all the synapses and the connections and the white ,after and the dark matter and the nerves and the eyes and they ventricles and the glands in the brain. Why are we all so complex? Is there life after death? IS there a purpose to life?

If there is no purpose to life than there is not use to be living right now. So why not abort our babies? Why not suck there brains out or rip their limbs apart or burn their skin with concentrated salt? It's not like their life matters anyhow.

There does not have to be a supreme being for us to act moral and do the right things in life. You cannot argue that because there is no God its an excuse to go out and murder and steal, etc. I am a believer, but if I were not I would not be immoral. The scientific questions can be answered to a point. And if you believe in the big bang, which I personally find many flaws with, you still had to have something. How do you get something from nothing? You cant. I am very well schooled in Astronomy and physics and do believe in God.

Slightly off topic here:

Friend of mine worked at Chick-fil-a for several years. Shortly before he quit, there was an incident in his store.

A homeless man came in and ordered a drink and sandwich. After he was finished he asked my friend to use the telephone so he could call a friend to pick him up. He let him. He then went outside and grabbed a newspaper, came back in and began to read it. Somewhere between this time his managers phone the police to have this harmless homeless man removed from the store, without even asking the man. Police come and walk up to the man telling him he's got to go. Real Christian, ay!?

My friend, the good person that he is, ordered and payed for another meal for the homeless man to eat so he didn't have to stand outside in record heat. This really pissed off the managers and the police. By the time the police had left, the homeless man's ride was waiting outside.

i can't believe that happened!! I would have quit as well! That should not have happened at all! How are you sure that the owner called the police, could it have been somebody else in the restaurant?

I agree with you totally. I just cannot imagine living my life as an atheist. And I do love Xmas and think it brings people together. I am a believer for many many reasons. You are entitled to your choices, I guess I just feel a little sad about that choice.

You'd be surprised to find out that Christmas was co-opted from the Pagans and the Romans. Read up on Saturnalia and Yule. Both were end of the year winter festivities that the Christians basically stole to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Both Yule and Saturnalia far pre-date Christianity. Same with Samhein pre-dating the celebration of Halloween.

I'm not sure why you think life as an atheist is any different than life as anyone else. I don't look any different than a Christian, I don't act any different, I don't feel any different. We're the same, except when it comes to the belief in God. That's it. I also don't know why you're "sad." I'm not missing anything, and I don't believe my life is of a lesser quality than yours, simply because we don't see eye to eye on this issue. I don't feel sad that you or Victoria are Christians, so why feel sad because I'm not? That makes no sense.

And I do love Xmas and think it brings people together.

I love the spirit of Christmas, but unfortunately Christmas has become less love your neighbor and those who have not and is now more be a good consuming lab-rat. But that's my opinion.

There does not have to be a supreme being for us to act moral and do the right things in life. You cannot argue that because there is no God its an excuse to go out and murder and steal, etc. I am a believer, but if I were not I would not be immoral. The scientific questions can be answered to a point. And if you believe in the big bang, which I personally find many flaws with, you still had to have something. How do you get something from nothing? You cant. I am very well schooled in Astronomy and physics and do believe in God.

I do believe in God but what you are saying is that your religion doesn't apply to other people. See, if you really believe in Catholicism/Christianity than you would believe that it also applies to other people as well, because that is what it teaches us.

You'd be surprised to find out that Christmas was co-opted from the Pagans and the Romans. Read up on Saturnalia and Yule. Both were end of the year winter festivities that the Christians basically stole to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Both Yule and Saturnalia far pre-date Christianity. Same with Samhein pre-dating the celebration of Halloween.

I'm not sure why you think life as an atheist is any different than life as anyone else. I don't look any different than a Christian, I don't act any different, I don't feel any different. We're the same, except when it comes to the belief in God. That's it. I also don't know why you're "sad." I'm not missing anything, and I don't believe my life is of a lesser quality than yours, simply because we don't see eye to eye on this issue. I don't feel sad that you or Victoria are Christians, so why feel sad because I'm not? That makes no sense.

I already know that many of the traditions have effected Christmas, sadly. It is the same way with Easter. The name even comes from the goddess Ishtar which is the goddess of fertility.

If you were a Christian than you would understand why we are sad. I am brokenhearted over everyone who doesn't believe that they need to be saved. We understand what happens to those who "don't need salvation".

i can't believe that happened!! I would have quit as well! That should not have happened at all! How are you sure that the owner called the police, could it have been somebody else in the restaurant?

It was management who called the police. That's not the only "non-christian" behavior that goes on at Chick-fil-a.

If you were a Christian than you would understand why we are sad. I am brokenhearted over everyone who doesn't believe that they need to be saved. We understand what happens to those who "don't need salvation".

Nothing's going to happen to me. I'm going to die, as all living things do, and I'm going in the ground, and those that love me will mourn me. That's it. No hell, no fire and brimstone, no eternal damnation. Just the quiet contentment of a peaceful grave, one hopes.

Nothing's going to happen to me. I'm going to die, as all living things do, and I'm going in the ground, and those that love me will mourn me. That's it. No hell, no fire and brimstone, no eternal damnation. Just the quiet contentment of a peaceful grave, one hopes.

That's what people want, but not everything will be handed to them on a silver platter.

I already know that many of the traditions have effected Christmas, sadly. It is the same way with Easter. The name even comes from the goddess Ishtar which is the goddess of fertility.

You don't need church or religion to find salvation, IMO. Did Christ gather people in a church or did he gather them outside?

Even jews celebrate Christmas. They like the presents. < not kidding, true fact.

Some Jews celebrate Christmas as a social holiday...good friends and family. No gifts needed.

I do want to say that I appreciate the intellect and effort that Electrophile is giving to this thread. I would not be so patient.

As the very close friend of a very Jewish guy, they don't celebrate Christmas, so much as they celebrate the more secular aspects of the winter holidays. They put up a tree, they sing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, they decorate their houses with lights and candy canes, but they're not celebrating Christmas. Celebrating Christmas entails celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, and Jews don't celebrate the birth of a person they don't think has existed yet.

I do want to say that I appreciate the intellect and effort that Electrophile is giving to this thread. I would not be so patient.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

You don't need church or religion to find salvation, IMO. Did Christ gather people in a church or did he gather them outside?

See, church is not the building but the people that gather. No, you do not need church but I am not sure about religion. I think that if you look to your religion to find your salvation but I haven't though that through too much.

That's what people want, but not everything will be handed to them on a silver platter.

Not quite sure what this means. Are you saying I won't have the quiet contentment of a peaceful grave? I should hope there won't be riots and melees around my tombstone. I don't think my surviving friends and family would appreciate that.

Not quite sure what this means. Are you saying I won't have the quiet contentment of a peaceful grave? I should hope there won't be riots and melees around my tombstone. I don't think my surviving friends and family would appreciate that.

No, it's not the physical I am talking about it is the spiritual. Your body may be peaceful but your spirit will not.

Archived