Gay Marriage, Freedom of Speech and Chicken Sandwiches

DAS

Chick-support-300x280.jpg

In a very strange turn of events and in a case of very poor reporting via the Guardian Express Newspaper website, the images of KFC and McDonald's signs that have been making the rounds on the internet purporting that they support Chick Fil-A are being reported as fact when they aren't even real. They were created using the Fast Food Sign Generator page, as was recently debunked by Snopes.com. Goes to show that this newspaper didn't even check their facts before publishing this story.

My dad mentioned this to me earlier, and I think there's a ring of truth to it. All these images of people lined up around the block to get Chick-fil-A.....you'd never see that many people lined up outside a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter to volunteer, and Jesus actually commanded his followers to help the poor and destitute. That's what really pisses me off about all this. Jesus never uttered a word about gays, but he sure said a whole lot about helping people who are in need, like the poor, the hungry, and the indigent. Didn't he also say, "That which you do to the least of us, you do unto me" or something to that effect?

This also reminds me of why there should be no religion in politics and vice-versa. Ever since the Republican party climbed into bed with Jerry Falwell and the "Moral Majority", there has been little to no delineation between Republican party platforms and Christian conservative ideology. That's how shit like this happens. This has all been a political stunt, organized by the far-right, with the ultimate goal of using their faith like a cudgel against people they disagree with. It's boorish.

My dad mentioned this to me earlier, and I think there's a ring of truth to it. All these images of people lined up around the block to get Chick-fil-A.....you'd never see that many people lined up outside a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter to volunteer, and Jesus actually commanded his followers to help the poor and destitute. That's what really pisses me off about all this. Jesus never uttered a word about gays, but he sure said a whole lot about helping people who are in need, like the poor, the hungry, and the indigent. Didn't he also say, "That which you do to the least of us, you do unto me" or something to that effect?

This also reminds me of why there should be no religion in politics and vice-versa. Ever since the Republican party climbed into bed with Jerry Falwell and the "Moral Majority", there has been little to no delineation between Republican party platforms and Christian conservative ideology. That's how shit like this happens. This has all been a political stunt, organized by the far-right, with the ultimate goal of using their faith like a cudgel against people they disagree with. It's boorish.

^^^

Very well stated. The religious right in the US is easily the most hypocritical thing I have ever seen.

There are actually a lot of places that will not accept Christians to volunteer form them. Even some adoption places will not allow Christians to adopt. I have tried to volunteer for this one soup kitchen in my city and they wouldn't accept me and I later found out that it was because of my religion. I know that doesn't make up for everybody who doesn't help the poor and needy but I still think it is wrong.

The first half I agree with for the most part. It isn't exclusive to Christian people though. Personally I judge everyone by their own standard they hold up. So a Christian should be judged pretty harshly for hypocrisy but so should members of other religions and the average moralistic atheist who is always insisting what a great guy he is. I do think it's worth noting that a lot charitable organizations do not accept volunteers so a line at the soup kitchen is not realistic. I've tried to volunteer before and most places just ask for a check. I do agree though that it is not right to claim you follow any particular religion and then pick and choose your ethics from it.

The second part I don't agree with so much. I agree politics should not effect religion but politics deals with moral dilemmas regularly and it isn't fair to say that only people without a religion can influence policy. I don't favor passing an official religion but it's not even realistic to try and keep religion out of politics, unless by that you mean a church control state which is equivalent to an official religion.

This has all been a political stunt, organized by the far-right, with the ultimate goal of using their faith like a cudgel against people they disagree with. It's boorish.

Seriously?

Dan Cathey responds to a question back in June regarding his personal opinion on same-sex marriage knowing supporters of same-sex marriage would explode and call for boycotts, thus triggering a backlash of support for his company whereby they would experience record single-day sales and confirm that not nearly as many people dislike their company as the media and far-left would suggest; rather, that quite a large number would line up for hours in order to demonstrate their support?

Seems legit.

There would have been no "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" had Mike Huckabee not opened his big, fat mouth about it. Hence my comment that this was a political stunt. Not Dan Cathy's original comments, yesterday's clusterfuck.

Also, it should be noted, there is a difference between "no religion in politics" and "no religious people in politics." President Obama is a Christian, but you don't see him using his religious beliefs as a means to create or influence law in this country. I don't think that in order to run for or be elected to, public office, you have to be an atheist or otherwise non-religious. I think you should keep your religious beliefs separate from your job performance. I don't care if you're a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Hindu, or whatever other flavor is out there. Jews don't believe in eating pork or shellfish, but you don't see Rahm Emanuel trying to make bacon illegal in the city of Chicago.

My dad mentioned this to me earlier, and I think there's a ring of truth to it. All these images of people lined up around the block to get Chick-fil-A.....you'd never see that many people lined up outside a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter to volunteer, and Jesus actually commanded his followers to help the poor and destitute.

Actually our church volunteers every 3rd Saturday at a local kitchen,

And they can only take a dozen or so.

Any more and people are stumbling over each other.

Why only the 3rd Saturday each month?

Because all the other Saturdays are taken by other churches, so that they have to take turns.

And when you watch footage of disaster clean-ups, watch for the inevitable sea of yellow t-shirts and vests.

That's LDS volunteers - yep, Mitt Romney's Mormons - traveling hundreds of miles and camping out in tents on the local church's lawn in order to help clean up.

Here's a few photos from where I went last year to Jasper, Alabama with my 2 sons to help with the clean-up and recovery from the April 27, 2011 tornadoes.

e478aca9.jpg

a87253e0.jpg

82624a22.jpg

3e8ad48c.jpg

20bf5baf.jpg

56e4f260.jpg

Also, it should be noted, there is a difference between "no religion in politics" and "no religious people in politics." President Obama is a Christian, but you don't see him using his religious beliefs as a means to create or influence law in this country. I don't think that in order to run for or be elected to, public office, you have to be an atheist or otherwise non-religious. I think you should keep your religious beliefs separate from your job performance. I don't care if you're a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Hindu, or whatever other flavor is out there. Jews don't believe in eating pork or shellfish, but you don't see Rahm Emanuel trying to make bacon illegal in the city of Chicago.

What I'm saying is that people who are a particular religion will without a doubt have their decision making shaped by their religious beliefs. Therefor keeping religion, any religion, out is not possible. Just as a side note by definition Obama is not a Christian. He has never even made an orthodox profession of faith. He adopts a form of the popular religion of the country to gain votes just like 99% of all other politicians.

There would have been no "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" had Mike Huckabee not opened his big, fat mouth about it. Hence my comment that this was a political stunt. Not Dan Cathy's original comments, yesterday's clusterfuck.

Mike Huckabee should be president if he can get this many people in action. Obama and Romney combined couldn't have gotten that kind of result.

Actually our church volunteers every 3rd Saturday at a local kitchen,

And they can only take a dozen or so.

Any more and people are stumbling over each other.

Why only the 3rd Saturday each month?

Because all the other Saturdays are taken by other churches, so that they have to take turns.

And when you watch footage of disaster clean-ups, watch for the inevitable sea of yellow t-shirts and vests.

That's LDS volunteers - yep, Mitt Romney's Mormons - traveling hundreds of miles and camping out in tents on the local church's lawn in order to help clean up.

Here's a few photos from where I went last year to Jasper, Alabama with my 2 sons to help with the clean-up and recovery from the April 27, 2011 tornadoes.

e478aca9.jpg

a87253e0.jpg

82624a22.jpg

3e8ad48c.jpg

20bf5baf.jpg

56e4f260.jpg

That's great. It's hard to find places you can volunteer (especially ones where you get to play with a chainsaw!) and it does seem like they are usually booked full if you do.

Can't help but wonder if this was a publicity stunt. Anybody know about this company? Never heard of 'em til now, but then again, I don't eat very much fast food. Can't remember when I was last in a McD's, BK, Wendy's, etc. I don't even know if they are the same?

Really, Mumbles Menino? So, using your logic for keeping those who oppose gay marriage out of Boston, when, Mr Mayor are you going to cut ties with and ask the Arch Diocese to vacate your city?

HMMMMMM???

What a joke this must look like to the rest of the world.

Of course the reason the Chick-Fil-A boycott failed was because the whole thing was a diabolically evil plan orchestrated by the Cathy family to make a profit.

Of course the reason the Chick-Fil-A boycott failed was because the whole thing was a diabolically evil plan orchestrated by the Cathy family to make a profit.

Oohh, temper temper.

I don't know the Cathy family, but apparently you do?

Business is a tough world. BTW, can I also ask why this Mr Cathy was in front of a microphone to begin with?

Come to this forum to remind yourself that your life is good and there are always sad people much worse off than yourself.

Over 4 thousand posts until you realized that?

Sorry, couldn't resist sister.

Peace.

Archived