Things you didn't know about Elvis

Mudbugclub

On 16th August 1977, Elvis Presley was found dead lying on the floor in his bathroom by his girlfriend Ginger Alden, he had been seated on the toilet reading 'The Scientific Search For Jesus'. He died of heart failure at the age of 42. His first record for RCA, ‘Heartbreak Hotel’, was also his first US No.1. He starred in 31 films. Elvis holds the record for the most entries on the US Hot 100 chart with 154.

Things you didn't know about Elvis: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/elvis_facts

He was heavily influenced by gospel music as he worked at the downtown music theater in Memphis that showcased gospel choirs every weekend. That is where he was introduced to his future stage presence and style of clothes he would purchase at Lanksy's clothing store. What he made popular came from those gospel choirs.

^^^

Add my affirmations to all of the above...redhairqueen's, Miss Melanie's, Steve's, everybody.

Damn straight he was inspired by gospel and was a helluva gospel singer himself. Not my favourite vocalist of all-time but he's definitely in the Top 10...possibly even Top 5.

Forget the 1974-77 era Elvis that the majority of comedians and lazy entertainment media like to focus on. Go back to the source...the Rosetta Stone that are the original Sun Studios sessions with Sam Phillips.

Then continue on thru the early RCA rock and roll records, and the multiple gospel and country songs he recorded thru the 50s and 60s. Then there's that fantabulous 1968 Comeback, the "From Elvis in Memphis" album, the live performances.

Frankly, just about everything he did from 1953 to 1972 is worth checking out. There's even some good stuff on some of those movie soundtracks: Viva Las Vegas!

Oddly enough, I think it was more Elvis' movies than his music that served as my introduction to him. I educated myself in his music in later years, especially the early Sun Records era stuff. As for his movies, I love the Elvis movie marathons TBS used to have (and maybe still does). Lots of lighthearted fun and very fond memories there.

Life ain't nothing but a blending up of all the ups and downs

Dammit Elvis, don't you know

You made your Mama so proud

Before you ever made that record, before there ever was a Sun

Before you ever lost that Cadillac that Carl Perkins won

Mr. Phillips found old Johnny Cash and he was high

High before he ever took those pills and he's still too proud to die

Mr. Phillips never said anything behind nobody's back

Like "Dammit Elvis, don't he know, he ain't no Johnny Cash"

Drive-By Truckers "Carl Perkins' Cadillac"

My first exposure to Elvis was from a library. I was a teenager and had heard all about "The King of Rock N Roll" but never heard anything so I went down to the local library, applied for a library card and checked out 30 #1 Hits. By the time I got all the way through the CD I was a big Elvis fan which has recently climaxed with me going to Graceland and Sun Studios on the way to see Robert Plant at the Sunflower Blues and Gospel Festival. I honestly like his music more every time I hear it.

On a side note, I'd like to read the book the King was reading when he passed but unfortunately all the copies I see on amazon right now are $80. I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I go book shopping from now on.

Elvis, Bob Dylan, and The Doors all shared the same bass player - Jerry Scheff (that's him on "Riders of the Storm"). Elvis' first bass player, Bill Black, from the Sun Records era, clowned it up so much at shows that Elvis felt he was distracting the audience from his performance.

On the tour they said Elvis paid $100,000 for Graceland. I've heard it's worth around $100,000,000 today and personally I think if it was ever sold they could get a lot more.

I thought the same thing when I was there. I was also surprised it wasn't gated in. Someone could get a great deal on the house if it weren't for all the history that took place there. Of course it's going to be a museum for the rest of time so they sellers wouldn't have to worry about that.

I hope the Presley family keeps it forever. I'd hate to see someone else in control of it.

I was really pleased with Graceland because I'm such a big Elvis fan. In terms of the house itself I loved the land it was on and the outside decorations and the house was very nice from the outside. Inside I really like the use of mirrors around the fireplaces and on the staircase and basement ceiling. I thought the clothe walls and ceiling in the one room was pretty cool put I wasn't a fan of the colors. Actually quite a few of the rooms were not decorated to my tastes but the house itself was great. And I LOVED the waterfall in the jungle room. Was also blown away by all the gold and platinum records hung all over the buildings out back. I also didn't know he was buried there until I saw the grave so I got quite the surprise. Definitely worth the $36 ticket (I paid the extra $4 to see the classic car museum and airplanes).

If Albert Goldman is to be believed...

I don't think some of Goldman's sources are to be believed and I take exception to his penchant for portraying dead rock icons as infantile, impotent men.

My Elvis is the Elvis of Peter Guralnick's 'Last Train to Memphis'.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Train-Memphis-Peter-Guralnick/dp/0349106517

I hope the Presley family keeps it forever. I'd hate to see someone else in control of it.

I was really pleased with Graceland because I'm such a big Elvis fan. In terms of the house itself I loved the land it was on and the outside decorations and the house was very nice from the outside. Inside I really like the use of mirrors around the fireplaces and on the staircase and basement ceiling. I thought the clothe walls and ceiling in the one room was pretty cool put I wasn't a fan of the colors. Actually quite a few of the rooms were not decorated to my tastes but the house itself was great. And I LOVED the waterfall in the jungle room. Was also blown away by all the gold and platinum records hung all over the buildings out back. I also didn't know he was buried there until I saw the grave so I got quite the surprise. Definitely worth the $36 ticket (I paid the extra $4 to see the classic car museum and airplanes).

I took my two boys when they were 8 and 5 so they were not impressed but I really enjoyed seeing the inside of the house. It was an interesting experience since the house is a time capsule, unchanged from the moment of his death in 77. I think that is why most people don't like the interior since it is the product of it's time. My younger son loved teddy bears at the time and I was worried he would try to pick up one of the many lying around the house. I just knew I could never financially replace any of them and would have to sell my son into servitude to Priscilla Presley.

The car collection was very cool and enjoyed seeing the bullet hole in the steering wheel of one of his sports cars. He was pissed about something and shot at the car.

I loved the pool table room only because I really wanted to rub my hands across the fabric walls a la Russell Brand in "Get Him to the Greek". ;-))

Damn! I forgot how expensive it is to go on the tour. My husband and I were just in Memphis last week but he was not interested in visiting Graceland so I am glad we toured other places such as Sun Studio and Stax Museum.

My younger son loved teddy bears at the time and I was worried he would try to pick up one of the many lying around the house. I just knew I could never financially replace any of them and would have to sell my son into servitude to Priscilla Presley.

:hysterical:

Archived