Dancing days live

tazulike88

Hello !! my fellow zeppelin-ed up guys ... i was wondering if the concert that was featured in how the west was one, was caught on film ... i know there's a great buzz around the '73 shows and how they were a milestone for the band ... and they were featured in the Led Zeppelin DVD ... but i don't seem to find Dancing days any where ... it's on the album ... but was that song even caught live ???

^ Actually DD was one of the first songs to drew me towards LZ. The incredibly different riff that Jimmy wrote made me pay attention, the first time I heard it! Especially living where there are long, bad winters the song really captures the summertime vibe, IMO.

Edited by Walter

definitely one of their most unappreciated songs ... just as good as the rover and sick again ... even those are underrated ... all the new-comers are attracted to STH or Kashmir a ALS ... a lot of people are too lazy to dig in deep in the zeppelin catalogue .. i was one of those, until i heard the swan song somewhere, that's when i realized that zeppelin has more buried jewels than anybody else ... DD is one of their most optimistic tunes .. and the riff is so radical and refreshing .... it just shows what Page and bonzo were able to do together ... the riff is so powerful and reinforced by bonzo's stiff drumming ...it really shows that this alcohol consuming machine what a lot more than a mad man drumming with tree trunks ... he was so fucking accurate and crisp on this song that the whole thing give me goosebumps everytime i hear it.

One of my favourite Zeppelin tunes. And one I wished they had kept in the setlist longer. When they first played DD in 1972, nobody knew what it was since the album hadn't been released yet, so it was hard to properly appreciate hearing the song in concert.

They should have kept DD in the set for the 1973 U.S. tour...and for 1975, for that matter. When they played it in 1977, it was a nice surprise, but since it was done acoustically, the song lost much of its power.

As for video, isn't there footage from 1972 Japan that includes part of DD?

They obviously loved it themselves as much as we do - apart from the story of them dancing around on the lawn listening to the playback, there was also the show in 72 (Seattle I think) where they played it twice, lol.

It was Seattle, June 19, 1972.

^^^

Ummm...for those that might want a little more information than beetleron provided, the bootleg pictured in beetleron's post, "One More Daze" is a hodgepodge of various live performances from various venues: Long Beach, Hampton, etc.

The "Dancing Days" that beetleron raves about comes from the July 13, 1973 concert at Detroit's legendary Cobo Hall. This was the only performance of DD on the 1973 U.S. tour!!!

They obviously loved it themselves as much as we do - apart from the story of them dancing around on the lawn listening to the playback, there was also the show in 72 (Seattle I think) where they played it twice, lol.

If I might play devil's advocate, if the band loved DD so much, wouldn't they have played it more often in concert? Why write a nice, snappy, summer-y tune and then drop it from the set just as you're about to begin a spring/summer U.S. Tour?

Just askin'...

^ IMO, it didn't fit with the darker, moody mystique/vibe they began creating with their '73 set list and continued with in '75. I think it would've fit perfectly between OTHAFA and MMH/SIBLY in '73.

Or as an encore song along with "The Ocean", another crisp, crunchy rocker they abandoned too soon.