THIS IS CINERAMA!: CINERAMA TURNS 60!

Strider

September 30, 1952 was the debut of "This Is Cinerama", a movie shot in "Cinerama": a three-strip extra-wide film format that Hollywood created to lure Americans from their new-fangled television sets. Projected thru three film projectors simultaneously, it proved a success with more holiday travelogues and movies like "How the West Was Won" and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".

Cinerama theatres were built all over the world, even in Tehran. Nowadays, there are only three remaining Cinerama theatres that are still equipped to project the three-strip Cinerama process, the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood being one. I'm not sure if the Seattle Cinerama is still operational.

To celebrate Cinerama's 60th anniversary, the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood is having a Cinerama Film Festival starting today and running thru October 4. All the holiday travelogues and films like "How the West Was Won" and "2001: A Space Odyssey" will be screened.

Here's more about it...

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2012/cinerama_dome/index.htm

Edited by Strider

In Liverpool there was one called "The Abbey Cinerama" in Wavertree. I saw quite a few fims there but I wasn't very impressed.

You weren't impressed by the films or by the format? Your post leaves it unclear. I admit not all the Cinerama films were classics but no matter what, I always loved the total immersion in the image that Cinerama provided.

There are a couple Cinerama films I have never seen before and I am excited to finally get a chance this week at the Dome: "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" and "Cinerama's Russian Adventure" with Bing Crosby.

Joe, I was curious about your Cinerama theatre in Wavertree and dcided to try and find some information on it; if it was a true Cinerama theatre, etc. I found this interesting article about its history:

http://widescreenmovies.org/WSM03/abbey.htm

You weren't impressed by the films or by the format? Your post leaves it unclear. I admit not all the Cinerama films were classics but no matter what, I always loved the total immersion in the image that Cinerama provided.

There are a couple Cinerama films I have never seen before and I am excited to finally get a chance this week at the Dome: "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" and "Cinerama's Russian Adventure" with Bing Crosby.

Joe, I was curious about your Cinerama theatre in Wavertree and dcided to try and find some information on it; if it was a true Cinerama theatre, etc. I found this interesting article about its history:

http://widescreenmov...WSM03/abbey.htm

It must have been the film, the format was fascinating to me, it filled the entire wall. But I was only 7 or 8 at the time so I can't remember what the film was, but I was in awe at the sheer size of the picture.before that we used to go to the Regal in Norris Green on a Saturday afternoon. I don't think it's there anymore. Happy days !! Edited by joe (Liverpool)