Riffs that JPJ wrote

ToxxicaL

When John Entwistle died , Robert Plant eulogised about important he was to The Who. I thought maybe he should realise John Paul Jones was just as important to Led Zeppelin when he decided to go out as Page & Plant ,Let’s hope the 02 gig changed his mind if only for a day

When John Entwistle died , Robert Plant eulogised about important he was to The Who. I thought maybe he should realise John Paul Jones was just as important to Led Zeppelin when he decided to go out as Page & Plant ,Let’s hope the 02 gig changed his mind if only for a day

Well on the 1995-1996 Page/Plant tour it took two full orchestras, 1 bass player and a keyboard player and a hurdy gurdy player to replace JPJ's haha

I believe that if JPJ is in the credits and there's no keyboards, he most likely wrote the riff..

Good Times Bad Times

How Many More Times

Heartbreaker

Moby Dick

Celebration Day

Black Dog

Misty Mountain Hop - Keys

The Crunge

The Ocean

Trampled Underfoot - keys

Royal Orleans

Well on the 1995-1996 Page/Plant tour it took two full orchestras, 1 bass player and a keyboard player and a hurdy gurdy player to replace JPJ's haha

Although Page and Plant had two full orchestras (American and Egyptian), 1 bass player (Charlie Jones - Robert Plant's son in-law) and 1 keyboard player (Edward Shearmur) and a hurdy-gurdy player (Nigel Eaton), this does not mean that all of those/them were to "replace" John Paul Jones. Only a bass player and the keyboard player could try and replace Jonesy since John Paul played both instruments, par excellence. As far as I know, the hurdy gurdy was never played on any Led Zeppelin song. And Jonesy never played in one, much less two orchestras. John Paul Jones may have arranged and/or directed an orchestra for "Kashmir" but he never played in one during Led Zeppelin's reign.

Page and Plant had the two orchestras to add a different feel and texture to the songs that required them. Not to say that They needed them to replace or replicate the sound of Mr. John Baldwin. Although I will admit that I think that Jonesy did and could play the part of 2 orchestras just as good with two hands and two feet on His mellotron.

By the way, what was with the "haha" at the end of your post? What was that supposed to signify?

In The Light is another one that JPJ was a big part of the writing.

If you compare the early versions of In The Morning to the finished In the Light there are places that originally had keyboard sections that contain the bare bones of the guitar/bass riffs that replaced them in the final arrangement. By transporting the keyboard line to the stringed instruments they came up with riffs that are more unusual than if they had been writen on guitar/bass.

anyone else think JPJ had a large part in writing and arranging HHWCID? Lots going on there...

Not really. The whole song flows really smoothly with logical cord progressions like a Page-written song. It's probably the earliest example of Page's Guitar Army, IMO, with the layers of guitar and mandolin. Obviously, JPJ was given freedom on the bass part, and I think that he also played the mandolin on the outro section. Page just isn't that GOOD of a mandolin player to pull that off.

Archived