Led Zeppelin Meet and Greet

TypeO

Had an unusual and interesting dream last night, and it made me start thinking about this subject.

First, I am the primary photographer at my job, and we frequently host concerts by various musical groups, some more recognizable than others.

Some are up and coming at the time we host them, such as Miranda Lambert, who's gotten pretty well-known since she was at our base in 2005 or so along with Montgomery Gentry (both country acts).

Last year we had American Idol Runner-Up Bo Bice, who has become a fairly successful Southern Rock Artist.

The shows are almost always free, yet the turnout is usually pretty pathetic, and there are more children dancing around in front of the stage than anything else.

Anyway, as photographer, I have the opportunity to shoot lots of great shots of the performers, and they usually do a Meet and Greet with a number of the big shots and often with the Warrior Transition Battalion (Wounded Warriors).

So I shoot tons of pictures, and eventually, after everyone has been photographed, I get the opportunity to get a photo and speak briefly to the artist(s).

It's a lot of fun and usually fairly interesting.

Now on to my dream.

So last night I dreamed Led Zeppelin performed at our base under the same conditions - poor turnout, easy access / visibility as they performed.

The last thing I remembered before I woke up was waiting for the Meet and Greet line to go down so I could go up and get a photo and speak with them.

I never actually got to them, but I do remember thinking about what I'd want to say to them given the opportunity under those kind of circumstances, i.e., maybe 30 seconds to a minute to speak to them, say Hi, whatever.

Not really a long, in-depth conversation, just some comments.

Which brings me - finally - to the point of this thread.

Given the opportunity I just described (attending a Meet and Greet photo op with Led Zeppelin, where you had maybe 30-60 seconds to speak to them), what would you say or ask the fellows as you took a second to get your photo snapped with them?

Here's mine, mostly thought of in my dream, but expanded since I've woken up and thought about it.

First, for my photo I imagined a quick, hand-written message to hold up in the photo with a shout-out to the forum - TypeO and the LedZeppelin.com Forum say HI!

(And yes, I seriously thought of that in the dream - anticipating the posting of my photo here, LOL)

Then, as quickly as possible, I'd say the following -

Can't even begin to express how much your music has influenced me and my life.

I was at Tampa, June 3rd, 1977 for the rain-out show, and I'll never forget the 3 greatest songs I've ever seen performed live!

I'll never forget how I felt when I heard the news of Bonzo's death, and then the news that Zeppelin was finished.

Presence is the greatest album ever, and I'm proud to have been the standard-bearer for Presence after it was released, insisting on playing it for my friends when they wouldn't break away from listening to all the older albums.

Jimmy, the solo from Achilles' Last Stand is the greatest guitar solo ever recorded, and it is literally seared into my synapses - lick for lick - to this day.

Robert, your vocals consistently stirred more emotion and were more compelling than any other band I've ever known.

Jonesie, The Butthole Surfers' Independent Worm Saloon and your recent work with TCV have helped me to realize what a powerful influence you were within the group, even if I wasn't able to recognize it at the time.

Lastly, I'm proud to say that my 18 year-old son, who mainly listens to dubstep and electronic music, still counts Presence as his favorite album, and Achilles' Last Stand as his favorite song due in no small part to it being mandatory listening on ALL road trips we took.

Thank you all for following your dreams and creating the greatest band to ever exist!

Kinda goofy, maybe, but I would get immense satisfaction from being able to actually say those things to them.

So, what about you all?

Had an unusual and interesting dream last night, and it made me start thinking about this subject.

First, I am the primary photographer at my job, and we frequently host concerts by various musical groups, some more recognizable than others.

Some are up and coming at the time we host them, such as Miranda Lambert, who's gotten pretty well-known since she was at our base in 2005 or so along with Montgomery Gentry (both country acts).

Last year we had American Idol Runner-Up Bo Bice, who has become a fairly successful Southern Rock Artist.

The shows are almost always free, yet the turnout is usually pretty pathetic, and there are more children dancing around in front of the stage than anything else.

Anyway, as photographer, I have the opportunity to shoot lots of great shots of the performers, and they usually do a Meet and Greet with a number of the big shots and often with the Warrior Transition Battalion (Wounded Warriors).

So I shoot tons of pictures, and eventually, after everyone has been photographed, I get the opportunity to get a photo and speak briefly to the artist(s).

It's a lot of fun and usually fairly interesting.

Now on to my dream.

So last night I dreamed Led Zeppelin performed at our base under the same conditions - poor turnout, easy access / visibility as they performed.

The last thing I remembered before I woke up was waiting for the Meet and Greet line to go down so I could go up and get a photo and speak with them.

I never actually got to them, but I do remember thinking about what I'd want to say to them given the opportunity under those kind of circumstances, i.e., maybe 30 seconds to a minute to speak to them, say Hi, whatever.

Not really a long, in-depth conversation, just some comments.

Which brings me - finally - to the point of this thread.

Given the opportunity I just described (attending a Meet and Greet photo op with Led Zeppelin, where you had maybe 30-60 seconds to speak to them), what would you say or ask the fellows as you took a second to get your photo snapped with them?

Here's mine, mostly thought of in my dream, but expanded since I've woken up and thought about it.

First, for my photo I imagined a quick, hand-written message to hold up in the photo with a shout-out to the forum - TypeO and the LedZeppelin.com Forum say HI!

(And yes, I seriously thought of that in the dream - anticipating the posting of my photo here, LOL)

Then, as quickly as possible, I'd say the following -

Can't even begin to express how much your music has influenced me and my life.

I was at Tampa, June 3rd, 1977 for the rain-out show, and I'll never forget the 3 greatest songs I've ever seen performed live!

I'll never forget how I felt when I heard the news of Bonzo's death, and then the news that Zeppelin was finished.

Presence is the greatest album ever, and I'm proud to have been the standard-bearer for Presence after it was released, insisting on playing it for my friends when they wouldn't break away from listening to all the older albums.

Jimmy, the solo from Achilles' Last Stand is the greatest guitar solo ever recorded, and it is literally seared into my synapses - lick for lick - to this day.

Robert, your vocals consistently stirred more emotion and were more compelling than any other band I've ever known.

Jonesie, The Butthole Surfers' Independent Worm Saloon and your recent work with TCV have helped me to realize what a powerful influence you were within the group, even if I wasn't able to recognize it at the time.

Lastly, I'm proud to say that my 18 year-old son, who mainly listens to dubstep and electronic music, still counts Presence as his favorite album, and Achilles' Last Stand as his favorite song due in no small part to it being mandatory listening on ALL road trips we took.

Thank you all for following your dreams and creating the greatest band to ever exist!

Kinda goofy, maybe, but I would get immense satisfaction from being able to actually say those things to them.

So, what about you all?

good thoughts,I would probaly just touch him ad stare!! LOL

That's a lot to say in a minute or less. Hope you have the chance to come up for air?

StarTrekFacePalm.gif

There must be something in the way I phrase things that just invites people to take my comments the wrong way.

The thread isn't about timing your comments down to the second.

It's about what you might say given just a short period vs. an actual sit-down conversation where time wasn't an issue.

And BTW, if it can be read in a minute or less (it can, easily) then it can probably be spoken in a minute or less.

StarTrekFacePalm.gif

There must be something in the way I phrase things that just invites people to take my comments the wrong way.

The thread isn't about timing your comments down to the second.

It's about what you might say given just a short period vs. an actual sit-down conversation where time wasn't an issue.

And BTW, if it can be read in a minute or less (it can, easily) then it can probably be spoken in a minute or less.

It just seemed to me it would be a lot to say in a short time. Your nerves would be shot and who knows if you could get all this out, considering the circumstances. Would just have to relax. I was just kidding about coming up for air. Just having some fun!

I would probably just thank them all for the wonderful music each one has given us throughout the years. Boring, of course- but I don't think my nerves could handle any more than that face to face.

I've met you personally SGT and I'm sure you'd do just fine!

To be perfectly honest, I don’t think much of musicians who take part in ‘Meet n Greets’, charging fans money to say ‘hi’ or ‘thanks for writing that song it means something to me’ or ‘can you explain that guitar bit’?

If Led Zeppelin were to do that, I don’t think I could enjoy the music at the same level of enjoyment.

And I even think less of fans who go along with it and pay the money in the first place, because it creates the false impression that musicians are entitled to charge a fan money for saying hello.

Got your point Charles and agree with you. Some of them charge a bit, some are off the chart depending on the artist and what's included. They're a big rip off IMHO! Even Jason Bonham has done them, but his aren't terribly inflated, but still costly. Perhaps, just part of the business these days unfortunately. But it's your choice and economics. Never had a desire to do one of these, but I did consider Jason's as it wasn't too pricey, but never wound up doing it!

Nah I don't think I could ever talk, I mean I've pictured myself meeting them and everytime I do it, I start getting all nervous and my mind goes blank.

And I'm miles and miles away from them, how the hell could I ever make a coherent sentence with them being just a few meters from me? I'm hopeless

To be perfectly honest, I don’t think much of musicians who take part in ‘Meet n Greets’, charging fans money to say ‘hi’ or ‘thanks for writing that song it means something to me’ or ‘can you explain that guitar bit’?

If Led Zeppelin were to do that, I don’t think I could enjoy the music at the same level of enjoyment.

And I even think less of fans who go along with it and pay the money in the first place, because it creates the false impression that musicians are entitled to charge a fan money for saying hello.

Got your point Charles and agree with you. Some of them charge a bit, some are off the chart depending on the artist and what's included. They're a big rip off IMHO! Even Jason Bonham has done them, but his aren't terribly inflated, but still costly. Perhaps, just part of the business these days unfortunately. But it's your choice and economics. Never had a desire to do one of these, but I did consider Jason's as it wasn't too pricey, but never wound up doing it!

Didn't really intend for people to take the peripheral details so seriously.

And FWIW, all the bands I was referring to at the Army base I work at were free, not some extra charge for the privilege.

And the lesser bands did it simply as a goodwill act, staying to take photos until the last fans were done.

The only point of this thread is what, if anything, you'd like to say in the described fantasy situation.

Kinda surprised people are taking the whole premise so literally.

It's simply an exercise in imagination, folks.

As for bands that DO charge for VIP / Meet and Greets, I agree with SuperDave's remark about it being individual choice and economics.

And I'm not sure "charging fans to say hello" is such a crime, in that they aren't obligated to do anything other than play, and offering more (even for a price) seems like striking a balance between some access and none.

I don't think I harbor resentment towards bands who offer that opportunity, and I even checked the prices recently when I learned Yes was offering VIP packages that included a Meet and Greet.

It just seemed like a cool opportunity if I thought I could swing the increased price.

Anyway, quite a tangent from the original intent of the thread.

Hey Type-O, I know I have had a few dreams where the fellas were in it over the years. I think in most of them I am there and they are getting ready to play but never do and I wake up kinda pissed off lol......anyway, If I were to have met them, I think I would have just liked to sit in the corner and listen to them tak to each other and get that dynamic. I'd most likely be tongue tied and was in just meeting Plant for real.......ciao

P.S.- hoping they will play one day in one of those dreams, and when they do, i hope I have good seats

Type0 since this is a thread representing a dream..which in my opinion if they are good dreams..keeps dreaming:-)

For me, I would never approach them. And if JPJ, Jimmy , Robert and possibly Jason were all together and I was by chance in front of them and they looked my way all I could say/do: Reach my hand to shake theirs and tell them I have loved their music since I was 9 and how very proud I am of each of them.

If I met them individually..not telling ;)

Hey Type-O, I know I have had a few dreams where the fellas were in it over the years. I think in most of them I am there and they are getting ready to play but never do and I wake up kinda pissed off lol......anyway, If I were to have met them, I think I would have just liked to sit in the corner and listen to them tak to each other and get that dynamic. I'd most likely be tongue tied and was in just meeting Plant for real.......ciao

P.S.- hoping they will play one day in one of those dreams, and when they do, i hope I have good seats

Yeah, it was one of those odd ways dreams are - the dream dictated that they were playing, I remember having great access to see them, but I don't recall seeing them and hearing them specifically.

THAT would be the ultimate dream.

I've never thought about it. I don't think I'd go to a meet and greet, and if I happened to see them out in public I wouldn't want to bother them. (Honestly, I probably wouldn't even recognize them out of context, in the grocery store or wherever).

Archived