Instrument Reversal...

kingzoso

Having been together for about 12 years, is there any proof (or even speculation) that the members of Led Zeppelin ever taught the others the Ways of Their craft?

What I mean is this: does anyone know or think that Jimmy ever showed Robert or Bonzo how Jimmy came up with His riffs and solos? Tried to "teach" Them how to play the guitar?

Same goes for Bonzo. Do you think (or know) if Bonzo ever showed Jimmy, Robert or Jonesy how he played the drums on every Led Zeppelin song?

I know and realize that Led Zeppelin were a tight knit group when it came to recordings songs for Their albums so, obviously, They saw and recorded Their Music the way We all know and Love to this day.

Having said that, for example, does anyone think that Robert could have played drums on, say, "Sick Again" and Bonzo could have sang?

Hence the title of "Instrument Reversal".

Robert Plant has been playing guitar since before he met Jimmy Page. He was also good enough to have played in the band had he wanted to but chose to leave it exclusively to Page. There are some videos out there of Plant playing guitar if you can find one. The only time he has played on stage that I recall is at the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame induction. Also, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones could sing. Page sang before joining Led Zeppelin. He put out a single "She Just Satisfies" in which he sings. John Paul Jones sang on his album "The Thunderthief." I know he sang some unimpressive backups for "Battle Of Evermore" live but that was not a good representation of his singing. He isn't amazing still but he was usually better than that.

Robert played guitar with the Priory of Brion. I have a DVD and he plays lead guitar on Donovan's Season of the Witch.

Robert Plant has been playing guitar since before he met Jimmy Page. He was also good enough to have played in the band had he wanted to but chose to leave it exclusively to Page. There are some videos out there of Plant playing guitar if you can find one. The only time he has played on stage that I recall is at the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame induction. Also, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones could sing. Page sang before joining Led Zeppelin. He put out a single "She Just Satisfies" in which he sings. John Paul Jones sang on his album "The Thunderthief." I know he sang some unimpressive backups for "Battle Of Evermore" live but that was not a good representation of his singing. He isn't amazing still but he was usually better than that.

To be fair, I doubt that Robert "chose" not to play guitar in Zeppelin. Pretty sure Page would have made that choice for him!

Weren't Mr. Page and Mr. Jones kind of swapping instruments in some acoustic sets of the later 70s ?

i think JPJ played a Fender electric Mandolin i.e. at Earls Court while JP was on his Martin 6 string.

Now i seem to remember JP playing Mandolin at some later - 77 (?) gigs while JPJ sported his then new triple neck thing.

To be fair, I doubt that Robert "chose" not to play guitar in Zeppelin. Pretty sure Page would have made that choice for him!

He said he was able to play but it was just something you don't do in a band with one of the greatest guitar players of the generation. I also doubt Jimmy Page was interested in recruiting a backup guitar. Basically, he had the ability but for several reasons it didn't happen.

Robert played guitar with the Priory of Brion. I have a DVD and he plays lead guitar on Donovan's Season of the Witch.

That is a cool video. I'd never seen that one.

Jimmy once said in an interview (link: http://www.iem.ac.ru/zeppelin/docs/interviews/page_93.gw , search for 'Babe' ) that the book Stairway to heaven by Richard Cole is full of lies and that one of them is that Robert played the arrangement fo Babe I'm gonna leave you to Jimmy! Jimmy said Robert didn't even play the guitar at the time!

Archived