Heartbreaker 3-7-70

pujols05

Thanks to a local "independent" radio station that plays eclectic and obscure tracks, I now realize that Jimmy's funky intro to Heartbreaker on 3-7-70 in Montreaux was an homage to Jeff Beck's "Rice Pudding."

In "The Concert File," Dave Lewis doesn't seem to have realized what it was, describing it as a "'Walter's Walk'-style introduction."

Probably more than a few of you knew already.

Does there really have to be an argument for everything?

Heartbreaker from 3/7/1970 is a great version. To accompany it, the audience recording from that show is fantastic.

No one is arguing. I wasjust asking a question, ledzepfilm.

agree, bonham is a beast. the recording for the 3/7 show seems to make it more popular than the flat-ish sbd from 3/21. both are good though! my favorite would probably be the mudslide one, but I listen to 3/7 more due to the recording qualities.

• 3 weeks later...

Always found 3/7/70 overrated, honestly. The playing is fine, just kind of stiff. Not the classic "loose" Zep sound.

Better shows from that tour, I think. 3/12/70 is a really loose one, for example.

I may be the minority, but I did a rough matrix of a few tunes of the audience and sbd, and this could be an officially released product. IF it was done with the best equipment available these days. Seriously, it was great. I always wonder if that is why both were recorded. One from the stage or center, and one rough line recording (sbd). For a possible mix.

Archived