Genesis thread

DoubleNecker

Ok, here is the Genesis thread. Discuss an awesome band....minus the 80s and 90s. :P

I seriously love Gabriel-era Genesis a lot. Foxtrot is my favorite of that era. I mean, it's just amazing...and I have to say that Phil wasn't that damn bad for the rest of the 70s. I mean, I love A Trick of The Tail. I think it works nicely, despite what others say. I think I'll get the rest of the 70s stuff with Phil, but the pop I'm not touching.

Ok, here is the Genesis thread. Discuss an awesome band....minus the 80s and 90s. :P

I seriously love Gabriel-era Genesis a lot. Foxtrot is my favorite of that era. I mean, it's just amazing...and I have to say that Phil wasn't that damn bad for the rest of the 70s. I mean, I love A Trick of The Tail. I think it works nicely, despite what others say. I think I'll get the rest of the 70s stuff with Phil, but the pop I'm not touching.

The 'pop' albums really aren't that bad, although Abacab has some pretty bad moments (Whodunnit is pure torture).

Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance have some quality stuff besides the inferior 'hits' and 1983's self-titled one is kinda okay, bit patchy. Dunno much about the Ray Wilson-album.

Anything up to (and including) Duke is top-shelf stuff, with And Then There Were Three being slightly inferior. I don't like their disowned debut-album, though. It's totally not their thing at all.

Phil's solo stuff is fucking terrible. icon_shutup.gif

My dad said it's pretty good too. I asked him what was his stance some time ago and he's a bigger Peter fan than Phil. But sometime when I can get the damn thing out, I'll listen to it. I know a certain "someone" who keeps urging me to listen to "We Can't Dance" and "Invisible Touch"....I think you know who.

Peter Gabriel era Genesis is untouchable. I can't believe the big issue when they were together was that the stage show was overshadowing the music [the implication being that the music blew and the elaborate show was for hiding it]. Genesis in KISS territory? pffft...

Peter Gabriel era Genesis is untouchable. I can't believe the big issue when they were together was that the stage show was overshadowing the music [the implication being that the music blew and the elaborate show was for hiding it]. Genesis in KISS territory? pffft...

Amen.

I saw the "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" concert with Gabriel. It was incredible - and, no, the stage show did not overshadow the music - it enhanced it (esp. the whole story of Rael). I still get chills and a lump in my throat when I hear "Carpet Crawlers."

I seriously love Gabriel-era Genesis a lot. Foxtrot is my favorite of that era. I mean, it's just amazing...and I have to say that Phil wasn't that damn bad for the rest of the 70s. I mean, I love A Trick of The Tail. I think it works nicely, despite what others say.

Trick of the Tail is my fave Genesis album............even after nearly 30 years 'Ripples' still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :D

I recently discovered the Phil era somewhat more and I think it's unjustly maligned by many. People keep whining about 'hits' while the album cuts are often quite strong. About their hits: These are their weakest songs, but any one of those is still lightyears better than any Collins solo cut!

Of the Phil era only Abacab comes close to 'being not very good' as it contains too many average (and one truly fucking horrible) songs with Dodo/Lurker and the title track being obvious stand-outs. And then there's the likes of Wind & Wuthering, Duke, Trick Of The Tail... albums that are easily on a par with anything from the Gabriel-era, imo.

I first saw Genesis in 1972 as the support to another UK band, Lindisfarne.

It was easy to be transfixed by Gabriel dressing up.

Especially when "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" concert was performed two blocks from Broadway and most of the audience seemed to be under the influence of something "herbal".

Archived