Home Audio System

Charles J. White

All of us of a certain age has a home audio system. Let's hear what you have:

- I still have 2 Nakamichi Dragon cassette decks boxed away in an attic which I discovered when I changed employers and was cleaning the house

- White Kenwood marble turntable, and one 1 Akai AP206

- NAD amp

- Harmon Kardon CD player

- Camber speakers

I also have an 8-Track player in a box somewhere in the attic which I'm going to look for this weekend

I have a Technics SL-D2 Direct Drive turntable with an Ortofon OMPro cartridge and Stylus, Kenwood KRV-7040 Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound Amplifier/Receiver, Technics RS-BX 501 Cassette deck, Kenwood GE-450 Graphic Equaliser, Technics SL-PG 420A Compact disc Player, Sony CDP-XE 200 Compact Disc player, a pair of Sansui SP-Z9-II 5 way-6-speaker system Speakers for the main speakers,pair of Wharfedale Glendale 3XP speakers for the rear, and a Wharfedale Denton 2XP for the Centre Speaker.

That is in the Living Room. I have two other systems in the house,JVC amp, Akai cassette deck and JVC speakers to play the Freeview through, and a compact system which I do not use 'cos it's shit (My Wife bought it for herself)

I don't have a stereo system so thanks for posting this. I'd like to get ideas for future purchases. I want to be able to play LPs and to plug in an iPod.

If you live in the UK & you want a system with a turntable , amp, cd player? And speakers (small floor standing are a good idea) try Richer Sounds or Sevenoaks Hi Fi . If you want a really good sound including the turntable set aside £1000. Good turntables are Rega, Project or second hand technics 1210. Good Amp makes Rotel,Denon,Marantz,Yamaha,Cambridge Audio. Good speaker makes B&W,Monitor Audio,Kef,Q Accoustics. Go to Ikea for an equipment table & make sure in yr room your speakers are ear height level & roughly 7 foot away from your armchair . Silly as it may sound if you clap yr hands in yr room and it echoes a lot , get a few cushions or a rug on the floor. If £1000 is too expensive, you want something easy & no fuss you do not bother with a turntable why not get a sound dock for your I Pod. Good makes are Bose & B&W. B&W make a sound dock called a Zeppelin!!!!!! It sounds good . Good luck any questions just ask

Nice to hear some nice hifi systems listed. Over the years I have bought separates & I worked hard , drunk less , stayed in to get what I got . My system as follows. Turntable Michell Gyrodec, Tecno Tonearm , Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge, Martin Bastin power supply. Cd players Meridian 507 & Denon 1510. A Denon PMA 1510 (Which I now use as a Pre Amp) and my power amps are Vincent SP991 plus mono blocs . My speakers are B&W 703 and I use Chord cables. I made a decision 10 years ago not to bother to watch live bands regularly anymore besides I am not a fan of 21st Century Rock & instead try to invest in the most realistic sound I can afford so I can hear Led Zep at it's best. I would rather go cinema,comedy clubs ,eat out.

I have speakers and a reciever, a computer, bose desktop speakers and an ipod. Not anything like what I was raised around. I have always wanted to buy one of those turntables with the usb port so I could transfer the music to my computer. But I hear the ones that will transfer in good quality will cost a lot of money. So I'd be satisifed with something that just spins at this point. :lol:

Archived