* Jimmy Page Onstage (circa) 1958 *

SteveAJones

The photographs above were donated to the Bourne Hill Museum about 15 years ago by the mother of the bassist depicted in the pictures.

Photographs seem to be of the same group of local boys who performed with Jimmy on the All Your Own telecast (Sunday, April 4, 1958). Many sources cite 1957 as the date for that show but Jimmy said 1958 and as I recall the BBC broadcast master tape is labelled April 4, 1958, which was a Sunday. Can anyone help to confirm if All Your Own aired on Fridays or Sundays in 1958?

• Administrators

* Previously uncirculated photographs *

Jimmy Page onstage (circa 1958)

at Christchurch Hall in West Hill, Epsom

With special thanks and much appreciation to David Brooks of the Bourne Hill Museum.

--Steve A. Jones

They've actually been on the 'net for a long time and at least one of them posted here on the forum in 2009:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/7695-rare-zeppelin-pics/page-7

Also, I recall they were considered for use in It Might Get Loud.

The photographs above were donated to the Bourne Hill Museum about 15 years ago by the mother of the bassist depicted in the pictures.

Photographs seem to be of the same group of local boys who performed with Jimmy on the All Your Own telecast (Sunday, April 4, 1958). Many sources cite 1957 as the date for that show but Jimmy said 1958 and as I recall the BBC broadcast master tape is labelled April 4, 1958, which was a Sunday. Can anyone help to confirm if All Your Own aired on Fridays or Sundays in 1958?

IIRC Page sing backing vocals during this performance.

Many sources cite 1957 as the date for that show but Jimmy said 1958 and as I recall the BBC broadcast master tape is labelled April 4, 1958, which was a Sunday. Can anyone help to confirm if All Your Own aired on Fridays or Sundays in 1958?

I don't know which day it was broadcast but I can also confirm the master tape says April 4 1958

Many sources cite 1957 as the date for that show but Jimmy said 1958 and as I recall the BBC broadcast master tape is labelled April 4, 1958, which was a Sunday. Can anyone help to confirm if All Your Own aired on Fridays or Sundays in 1958?

The BBC says the show's debut episode was on a Sunday, and this link indicates that the show aired on Sundays. It does seem like 1957 was a more logical airdate (considering how young Jimmy looks, and considering the fact that "Mama Don't Allow" had been a hit song in the spring of 1957), but I guess time moved more slowly back then.

* Previously uncirculated photographs *

Jimmy Page onstage (circa 1958)

at Christchurch Hall in West Hill, Epsom

With special thanks and much appreciation to David Brooks of the Bourne Hill Museum.

--Steve A. Jones

ChristchurchHallinWestHillEpsom002_zps29

I see two drum kits or drum setups in the first picture. Is there another drummer on the kit with the bass drum, behind the Buddy Holly semi wannabe/lookalike?

I have no idea who the other players or what their names are, but can you imagine if this was the musicians that the future and older Jimmy Page contacted when he was forming the New Yardbirds just 10 years later?

Imagine that for a minute. With Jimmy Page at the helm of these other musicians that would eventually call themselves Led Zeppelin, how would the whole history, dynamic, and a whole lotta of etc..'s, be so different from the rock and roll that we all know and Love and Hate. Just something to abstract think about.

Somehow I messed up the original post. My post begins with, "I see two drum kits..."

They've actually been on the 'net for a long time and at least one of them posted here on the forum in 2009:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/7695-rare-zeppelin-pics/page-7

Also, I recall they were considered for use in It Might Get Loud.

Thanks for the clarification, Sam. Glad to hear they were at least considered for the film.

I don't know which day it was broadcast but I can also confirm the master tape says April 4 1958

Thank you!

The BBC says the show's debut episode was on a Sunday, and this link indicates that the show aired on Sundays. It does seem like 1957 was a more logical airdate (considering how young Jimmy looks, and considering the fact that "Mama Don't Allow" had been a hit song in the spring of 1957), but I guess time moved more slowly back then.

Thanks as always, swandown. I'm partial to it being 1958 based on the date of the master tape and the Sunday airing but I do see your logic.

Somehow I messed up the original post. My post begins with, "I see two drum kits..."

The drummer at the far right is Jimmy's friend David Haskell. Haskell said although he and Jimmy eventually fell out of touch, their paths did cross in an airport a few years ago and they recognized each other and very briefly exchanged pleasantries. Unsure if there was a second drummer onstage when the photo was taken.

Archived