2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

Angels @ Dodgers. My final birthday treat of the week. Rasmus for the Angels going up against new Dodger acquisition Matt Latos. It's baking today but scored perfect seats in the shade. Margaritas...peanuts...game program. Play ball! Go Angels!!!

attachicon.gif20150802_120444.jpg

attachicon.gif20150802_113048.jpg

attachicon.gif20150802_112121.jpg

Wish I were there! Have a blast Sean! Great matchup. My boys stunk out the joint and are now heading West with the A's up first. Buck needs to take them out to the wood shed. Enjoy the game. It should be a good one. The Dodgers are favored for what its worth. And so much for Samardzjia. Getting rocked by the Yankees.

Paul must be chewing his knuckles? Tillman has a sprained ankle I just learned. Sucks. so they are calling up Wright from AAA to start in Oakland tomorrow night. What is shocking is that the Orioles are heavy favorites in Vegas in this game. You consider jet lag, its on the Coast, and we just got beat. I think its more disrespect for the A's. We need to beat them. I did not plan on not having Tillman for this game. Our bats must break out tomorrrow

I know it's just August, but that was a big-time series for my Mets--now, the only thing that concerns me is coming off a sweep like that, the Mets have to hit the road, where they have been less than stellar this season. I would not be surprised at all if they were a little flat against the Miami fish.

Wish I were there! Have a blast Sean! Great matchup. My boys stunk out the joint and are now heading West with the A's up first. Buck needs to take them out to the wood shed. Enjoy the game. It should be a good one. The Dodgers are favored for what its worth. And so much for Samardzjia. Getting rocked by the Yankees.

Have you ever been to Dodger Stadium, Rick? I told ebk she and I have a standing date at Dodger Stadium if she ever comes out West.

What a disastrous week for the Angels...I'm in a black mood after that game yesterday. When last week began the Angels had a 2 game lead over the Astros. Thanks to back-to-back sweeps by the Astros and Dodgers, the Angels finished the week 4 games behind the Astros.

I have no confidence in their playoff chances now that they have shown they don't have what it takes against good teams such as Houston and the Dodgers. It's the same old thing...no pitching depth and zero clutch hitting. Which is why I was bewildered why they kept adding outfielders and didn't go after any pitching.

Oh well, at least I had fun at the ball park...even though the Angels lost it was a close game that went into extra innings (free baseball!!!) and Dodger Stadium is a marvelous place to watch baseball. The crisp white uniforms of the Dodgers against the vibrant green and blue hues of the ballpark and the sky coalesce into a visual poem that says "Summer".

A few visual trinkets from my day at the ballgame.

post-1470-0-58397800-1438635113_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-44127200-1438635207_thumb.jp

Tennis star Caroline Woszniacki threw out the ceremonial First Pitch...and it was a good one!

post-1470-0-63921100-1438635398_thumb.jp

The actual first pitch of the game...Mat Latos throws a strike.

post-1470-0-21531100-1438635581_thumb.jp

Mike Trout's first at bat...

post-1470-0-78682300-1438636491_thumb.jp

Anyone for cotton-candy?

post-1470-0-99814800-1438636693_thumb.jp

After Howie Kendrick's HR put the Dodgers up 2-0, I went for reinforcements...carne asada tacos and frozen blue margaritas.

post-1470-0-32939900-1438636957_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-23555200-1438637019_thumb.jp

Shane Victorino scoring the tying run for the Angels in the 9th inning...this made it 3-3. I had so much hope after that. Unfortunately, it was the last run the Angels would score.

post-1470-0-33950400-1438637426_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-32817400-1438637493_thumb.jp

Edited by Strider

^ I haven't even been to Citi Field, yet. Most of the times I went to Shea Stadium, it was free or very cheap. I remember one time getting free tickets, packing up a cooler and heros for pre-game hanging out - and all my Met fan friends bailed on me. Time to start making phone calls and laying on the guilt...

Orioles up 6-1 in Oakland. Worst Oakland team I have seen in years. Wilson up from the farms to pitch for Tillman who has sprained ankle but is expected to pitch at the Angels. Pitching lights out and his reward will be a 3000 mile flight back to Norfolk.

Mets in first for first time since 2008. But way too soon to give them the division IMO. The Twins recent woes and the Angels also have given us a far better wild card shot if we do not catch NY but we have lots of time and games to still do that. I believe they have to come to Baltimore next? So they are in for a fight

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Yes, it's only the beginning of August, so I won't throw a parade for the Mets yet--although, if this trend continues with the offense waking up, to go with our starting pitching; all I can say is, watch out....

That with the fact the Nats have been a bit of a disappointment equals a big shot for your Mets. That pitching staff is the real deal. Could they build a staff as good as those Braves of the 90s? Remains to be seen. No wonder the Yankees had it so good playing Oakland. They look like a little league team. If we do not sweep them it will be Miguel Gonzalez's fault. And we miss Gray. Angels have been reeling so we have caught all of the wild card contenders. Minnesota also has been losing. The Orioles and Jays are both set to make a run at the Yankees. But I doubt the Red Sox will be of help. Getting Parra will be huge for us. The guy can do it all. Chris Davis is on fire. He has a shot at the RBI and HR title. Go Birds!!!

Well this Owen kid is highly touted and may be a nightmare for the Yankees tonight. If all goes right we cut it to 4.5 tonight and I know Tillman is going to mow the A's down tomorrow night regardless of tonight's outcome. If our starting pitching is decent we are going to kick some major ass. Why not call up this kid Wright again? I mean, he pitched 8 great innings last night. Pitch count was at 88 in the 8th inning. Norris is gone, and Buck always makes the right decision. Sometimes he waits longer than I like, because I think he is the kind of guy that does not want to hurt anyone's feelings and I get that totally. Caleb Joseph may be the best number 9 hitter in the game. On a hot streak and hitting for power, I am a bit scared they may not pony up the bucks for Matt Wieters, and that scares me to death. Not because I will be stuck with another jersey of a former player, but because I do believe he is something special. They are going easy on him coming off Tommy John surgery, and I get that. But DO NOT FUCKING LET HIM GET AWAY ANGELOS YOU PRICK!!!!!

MLB is liking Mets and Nats to both get in. I will stick with the Cubbies making it Could it be San Diego is coming to life?

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Hey Strider, great pics of Dodgers Stadium !

Here's a few more I took at the Rangers game on Saturday, and one I took from a tower at Six Flags, looking over several of their roller coasters with the Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium lined up behind.

post-841-0-95485500-1438737768_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-88167300-1438737799_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-94594400-1438737828_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-11657200-1438737856_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-78528400-1438737885_thumb.jpg

Not that the division race in the AL East is over, but I would have to think as time wears on, the O's might be setting their sights on the 2nd Wild Card. As it stands now, Baltimore is 1 game back & they would have to leapfrog the Twins and Toronto to get it.

But again, the division race is far from over--who knows, maybe the Yanks will have a bad stretch before it's over. And, I'll say it again, who has done a better job as manager than Joe Girardi--maybe Ned Yost or the Twins new skipper; can't forget the Astros manager too....

Don't count out Toronto just yet Paul.

I've said it for 3 years now - Girardi makes chicken salad out of chicken sh!t every season.

It's crazy how differently the Yankees operate anymore. If there was a major signing to be had in free agency, in the past, they'd be the front runner. Not anymore. If there was a great player to be traded for at the trading deadline, even if it meant giving up top prospects, the Yankees would be first in line - but not anymore. Strange, but reassuring that they trust their scouting department and farm system. Makes for better long term success, like back in the mid-90's and 70's. This is the time of the year I stop following just the standings and start watching the games. It will be an interesting last 2 months of the season!

Hey Strider, great pics of Dodgers Stadium !

Here's a few more I took at the Rangers game on Saturday, and one I took from a tower at Six Flags, looking over several of their roller coasters with the Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium lined up behind.

Thanks. Yours look cool as hell, zepscoda. Did you use a special filter? Thanks for beating the Astros tonight!

Don't count out Toronto just yet Paul.

I've said it for 3 years now - Girardi makes chicken salad out of chicken sh!t every season.

It's crazy how differently the Yankees operate anymore. If there was a major signing to be had in free agency, in the past, they'd be the front runner. Not anymore. If there was a great player to be traded for at the trading deadline, even if it meant giving up top prospects, the Yankees would be first in line - but not anymore. Strange, but reassuring that they trust their scouting department and farm system. Makes for better long term success, like back in the mid-90's and 70's. This is the time of the year I stop following just the standings and start watching the games. It will be an interesting last 2 months of the season!

I give the Yankees a lot of credit...and like St. Louis, I generally consider them a contender most every year and have no problem picking them in my baseball pools. But this season I really thought they had too many negatives and I thought A-Rod would be an albatross weighing them down even further. That is why I did not pick them in any of my pools, not even as a wild card. Boy, was I wrong.

Toronto and Baltimore have underperformed (the Red Sox were expected to suck, I think) while the Yankees have been one of the surprises, along with the Astros, of the AL. And you are right, Walter, about the change in culture at Yankee Stadium. Under Steinbrenner, is there any doubt that the Yankees would have ended up with Hamels and/or Cueto? Joe Girardi is doing more with less than any previous Yankee skipper.

Edited by Strider

Not that the division race in the AL East is over, but I would have to think as time wears on, the O's might be setting their sights on the 2nd Wild Card. As it stands now, Baltimore is 1 game back & they would have to leapfrog the Twins and Toronto to get it.

But again, the division race is far from over--who knows, maybe the Yanks will have a bad stretch before it's over. And, I'll say it again, who has done a better job as manager than Joe Girardi--maybe Ned Yost or the Twins new skipper; can't forget the Astros manager too....

Davis's grand slam was a big lift for this team. He leads the AL in RBI's and HR's. The Blue Jays and Yankees must play each other 13 times. Let them beat each other up. Split or close to it. We can move up and the Yankees must come back to Baltimore I know next. 5 games is nothing. And we are right there for that second and first wild card also.

I see a 3 game series with the Rays is up next for the Metropolitans--I would not expect a sweep in that series, not with the Rays pitching staff....

They are both gonna be Melba toast. Fat ass Sabathia gets the ball tonight vs that great young prospect we traded to Boston last year. I see the Red Sox winning tonight. We need to beat the Angels two of three. Oakland coming to Camden for 4 next week and a chance to make a big move