Origin of Kashmir traced to Memphis gig 04/70?

RIP-IT-UP

Happened to be reading" LZ Live" (Final Ed) by Luis Rey; on page 92 he states that during Jimmy's BWS solo, he plays the 1st direct reference (riff) to Kashmir ever recorded. While I don't have a copy of this boot, it does seem plausible as the DADGAD tuning was employed for both songs . If this is true, this was quite a few years before it was recorded in 1974! Can anyone with the boot verify this claim? Thanks. I also wonder if Jimmy just hit upon the riff "on the spot", or if it was floating around in his head and he tried it out at this concert?

ICBW but I've listened to WS/BMS from the april 17th 1970 Memphis show 3 times now and I do not hear any references to Kashmir.

Its a good version too, full of offshoots and runs that take it different places but for all the tangents I do hear, I cannot hear anything that even remotely resembles Kashmir.

That's interesting. I guess Luis heard something...at least in his mind...but, hey I was the guy who started a thread about the live version of D&C in TSRTS having what I thought was an overdubbed laugh in one of the verses. The consensus is that it's just a live guitar effect! I really was convinced for 38 years of listening that it was an overdubbed joke!

Happened to be reading" LZ Live" (Final Ed) by Luis Rey; on page 92 he states that during Jimmy's BWS solo, he plays the 1st direct reference (riff) to Kashmir ever recorded. While I don't have a copy of this boot, it does seem plausible as the DADGAD tuning was employed for both songs . If this is true, this was quite a few years before it was recorded in 1974! Can anyone with the boot verify this claim? Thanks. I also wonder if Jimmy just hit upon the riff "on the spot", or if it was floating around in his head and he tried it out at this concert?

RIP-IT-UP,there's somewhat of an explanation in this vid with Jimmy saying that the riff came from the end of "Swan Song".JPP also says that he and John Bonham worked on "Kashmir" at Headley Grange but does not give the year.

Not that I'm disputing Luis Rey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyePzUi4EQg

I don't think any bit of what we would recognize as Kashmir appears in any WS/BMS. I would guess Rey is talking about what Page refers to in the video clip Ross62 has provided above. I know there are later versions of WS/BMS from '77 that clearly include little bits of "Swan Song," which was part of the larger guitar composition that included the beginnings of Kashmir.

So while I haven't come across it myself, I wouldn't be surprised if some live WS/BMS from the early 1970s does have a little snippet of some bits of Swan Song in it.

^^ Page mentions Swan Song as a origin of the song as says - Bonzo was there, doesn't know where the other guys are and says... "and the tape runs out" - that's what I want on my companion discs! Where's that stuff!

I have all the booted versions of the Swan Song ( the basis for The Firm's Midnight Moonlight) and there is not one take where the end sounds like Kashmir. That does not mean it doesn't exist, I am merely suggesting that from what's been booted there is no way to tell, although I do hear some strains of Lucifer Rising in there. it seems Page was using the same synth for SS that he used for LR.

I also have a boot titled Led Zeppelin Swan Songs in which two tracks are listed as being Swan Song one and two and they are but one is double listed in the text file as the intro for kashmir but its all Midnight Moonlight.

Archived