Sales of New Releases

pmarsh22

Given the options you have with the new release's, is there anywhere to find out the sales of each, mainly interested in the Super Deluxe versions, but interested to see the overall impact on global sales of this program.

Not sure any cd's sell in great quantity anymore I have to breakdown and give in to itunes I believe the industry will stop producing cd's in next 3 years and I think the mini vinyl resurgence wont last...hanging on for physical format as long as I can but ...our Best Buy is eliminating dvd and cd sections completely...i bought an iPod w/160 gb right b4 they stopped making them my question is what will replace that I have 400 cd's-have used it hardly at all ....it would take a whole lotta nano pods to hold what I have in the long run. r we all to surrender to "the cloud'? On Topic: the local Newbury comics got in 1 of each super deluxe They are still sitting over there untouched 1-5th albums...they sold a couple cd's and no deluxe sets in 6 months....

I'm old school and I would hate to see cds and dvd go.I had thousands of vinyl too but i let them go(stupidity,an ex wife nagged me in to selling them)I would love to have the box sets but I can't afford them.There is a few of them collecting dust at the store and the cds as well.

• 2 months later...

This article I cannot see posted thus far....

Heavy metal midlife crisis? Led Zeppelin’s ‘Physical Graffiti’ turns 40 in the digital age

February 24, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

http://fortune.com/2015/02/24/led-zep-physical-graffiti-digital-age/

Is the plan to re-launch the band’s entire catalog in the digital age a little dicey?

Tuesday marks the 40th anniversary of Led Zeppelin’s “Physical Graffiti” album. When it was released in 1975, vinyl records ruled supreme, and this particular one would eventually reach platinum sales status sixteen times over.

Oh, but how times have changed. Artists who are almost entirely guitar-free top the Billboard charts now, and downloading and streaming seem to be the dominant methods of music consumption. Vinyl did see an increase in sales of more than 50% in 2014, but overall album sales fell by 11% that year, including digital album sales. It all adds up to bad news for a guitar-slinging band that embodies the vinyl era.

Despite this daunting fact, the Led Zeppelin back catalog is in the middle of a deluxe reissue campaign that began in June 2014. All of its albums are in the process of being re-released on vinyl, compact disc and digital download configurations, and so far the group’s first five albums have made their way to music store shelves. Today, “Physical Graffiti” gets its turn at bat, and then only two more studio albums remain before the hoards run dry.

The decision to embark on an extensive reissue campaign comes at a time when compact disc sales declined 15 percent in the past year, according to Billboard. Starbucks SBUX -0.34% , one of the remaining vestiges of compact disc sales in the U.S., recently announced that it will stop selling them entirely at all of its 21,000 locations in March.

Doesn’t this mean the decision to relaunch the entire catalog is a little dicey?

As it turns out, no. The group’s 1971 album Led Zeppelin IV was reissued in October 2014 and re-entered the Billboard charts at number seven, just a handful of slots away from Taylor Swift. Clearly, there is still a market out there for this music, and it’s big enough to justify a physical release at a time in history that’s not exactly favorable to that sort of thing.

Those wishing to keep it simple can just buy the remastered album, or they can pay a little extra and get the “deluxe” edition, supplemented with seven bonus tracks. But for those for whom money is no object, or who simply like to show off, there’s the “Super Deluxe Edition” boxed set.

A true test of what the market will bear, it contains the album and bonus tracks on compact disc, vinyl and a high-resolution download accessible via a code found on the inside. It also includes a 96-page, LP-sized hardcover book. Altogether, the whole shebang costs approximately $120 and weighs approximately ten pounds, so don’t drop it on your foot.

Who, exactly, is going to buy this thing? Jon Lambert, general manager of the legendary Princeton Record Exchange in Princeton, N.J., told Fortune that based on what he’s observed since the campaign began last year, the super deluxe box sets are indeed selling, albeit in “drips and drabs.”

“The main demographic for the big, boxed items is men between the ages of 30 and 50,” he said. “You have to be a little well-heeled to buy the box set.”

He said that while Super Deluxe Editions of “Physical Graffiti” sell somewhat lackadaisically, the mid-priced, single-format configurations have been moving steadily and at a brisk pace. He also added an interesting side note — those sales are almost entirely driven by young people, whose parents are old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin perform. And despite the vintage format, these kids are “without hesitation” buying more vinyl than compact discs, he said.

“Led Zeppelin has transferred generations,” said Lambert. “It’s still selling. Younger people are still buying those artists. Jack White sells well too, but classic artists are going to sell well, like Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones.”

There are still two more studio albums left before the Led Zeppelin reissue campaign wraps up. But while the tricked-out Super Deluxe Editions are likely to remain the province of well-to-do baby boomers, customers who are younger and less affluent will likely keep on buying the single-format configuration and keep this music alive for the foreseeable future.

Not sure any cd's sell in great quantity anymore I have to breakdown and give in to itunes I believe the industry will stop producing cd's in next 3 years and I think the mini vinyl resurgence wont last...hanging on for physical format as long as I can but ...our Best Buy is eliminating dvd and cd sections completely...i bought an iPod w/160 gb right b4 they stopped making them my question is what will replace that I have 400 cd's-have used it hardly at all ....it would take a whole lotta nano pods to hold what I have in the long run. r we all to surrender to "the cloud'? On Topic: the local Newbury comics got in 1 of each super deluxe They are still sitting over there untouched 1-5th albums...they sold a couple cd's and no deluxe sets in 6 months....

I highly doubt that the production of CDs will cease within three years, that's a very short time frame. We don't have Best Buy over here but I'd imagine it's a case of no longer selling in store but still selling online. In theory you can stock every cd on you online store but only a select few in your bricks and mortar shop where they up space so you have to be selective of what you stock. A case of "yes we do have Taylor Swift but I'm afraid we don't have any Amon Duul II"

As for the "mini" vinyl resurgence, well it's been gathering momentum for the last 15 years or so now and more and more artists are releasing their music in this format, sometimes even reissuing titles for the first time this way. If nobody was buying it the industry wouldn't be growing.

The first 3 releases all entered the top 10 during the first week of release. I just read that PG moved 40,000 physical copies the first week of it's release. No idea where that put it on the charts, but no one really cares anymore anyways.

• 1 month later...

Archived