Anti-Virus Question

redrum

I am looking at McAfee right now as it seems to have the best review. Any comments?

I just went through some crap with 'Avast' anti-virus (the free version) and the Windows 10 update and found that Avast had caused a 'Critical Error' window to show up and my computer was totally out of it.  I then read where one guy said he got rid of his Avast anti-virus and that solved the problem. I did it and he was right. My computer's fine now.

AVIRA AVIRA AVIRA!!!

McAfee slows your computer down; Avira does not, has a very good free version, and has the best results around. Couple it with a firewall and Malwarebytes and you're good.

p.s. I installed Win 10 on my laptop with Avira and no problems fyi.

Good luck!

I have a Mac now but I used Symantec + Malwarebytes with the Dell and ran regular scans. We also had good luck a few years back with Vipre; we picked up some really persistent malware and that was the only thing that worked.

I had Norton for years with no problems whatsoever then got an offer on McAfee with a new laptop so I installed it on my PC too, bad mistake, after months of annoyance I dumped it and bought a new Norton key and switched back. I know some may say Norton is not for them, but it has always worked well for me.

So far with Win 10 I just use Windows Defender and Mbam free for manual scanning. I use MSE in win 7 with mbam free. I've set up dozens of computers like this. Went thru the 3rd party A/V shuffle for years before. Remember using Norton Enterprise software all paranoid up on win 2k heh. Nowadays I'm more concerned with back up software. Macrium Reflect is my bestest software friend of all time :-)

• 4 months later...

Well after buying the new version of Norton and I have like 7 more pc's I can put it on, I am going to buy a Mac Pro, 13" with retina display to compliment our new Canon Rebel camera.  Have taken some great shots of birds and intend to take many of wildlife.  Now I will not need an anti virus for the Mac.  I am sick of HP.  I have heard Asus are good and also the one that starts with an L.  But if I am going to spend $900 I may as well spend $1299 and get the Mac and also will pony up for Microsoft Office subscription as the free ones like Open Office and Google's version of it are worthless because they are no compatible.  All of the correspondence I do is on Microsoft Word as business's use that.  So I am forced to spend spend spend.  It is not going to stop me from heading out West next summer I hope.  

Archived