In Praise of the Lowly 8-Track

Jahfin

Another of my friends got the Cassette version of the Craig PowerPlay.

It was an under-dash model, but he had it installed in the glove box of his Datsun B210.

One of our favorite buzz-rides.

Edit: it may have been a Jensen.

But it sure seems like it was a Craig PowerPlay.

I was born in 1982, so I don't know the 8-track era from having lived through it, but my parents did and after rifling around in our attic a couple of years ago, found some old 8-tracks of theirs. Including The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. So I hit up eBay and bought myself a Panasonic TNT 8-track player (like the kind Rorer posted a few years ago in this thread), and it's really neat. So now I have that album on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, and mp3. It's old and antiquated and not as zippy as putting the vinyl album on, or even cueing up the album on my iPod, but it still has that awesome retro feel to it that I love.

I was born in 1982, so I don't know the 8-track era from having lived through it, but my parents did and after rifling around in our attic a couple of years ago, found some old 8-tracks of theirs. Including The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

Hey Electro, THAT is supposed to be one of the Golden Eggs of 8-Tracks if I remember correctly. Pink Floyd's DSotM, Animals and Paul McCartney's Band on the Run all have extra music NOT on any other format release(vinyl, reel-to-reel, cassette, cd), so they are collectible. Make sure your 8-track player doesn't eat your tape!

Dark Side had something extra on 8 Track? Seriously?? We always just listened to the LP back in the day. What added music was on there? I've Googled but to no avail.

Faded memory makes me think either The Who or Deep Purple might have had extra stuff on their 8 Tracks but I can't remember if that's true for them. Maybe not.

The best thing about 8 track has surely got to be Snowey White's guitar solo to link together the two Pigs on the Wing tracks on the Animals release....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp-PuI19-pc

One of the best solo's ever for me up there with Gilmores best work.

That was awesome.

Don't think I've ever heard it.

Odd, having grown up on 8-tracks.

I do remember hearing Animals for the first time, though.

My friend Rick (same guy who had the Craig PowerPlay) had a pretty awesome home system, as well.

Pioneer receiver with a Dual (brand) turntable and massive Altec-Lansing speakers.

We had just scored a fat O-Z of redbud and he had just bought the album, so there was NO WAY we were going to school.

His mom left every day for work by 8:30 a.m., so by 8:45 we were packing bowls in the bong.

All I can say is hearing Animals for the first time was an almost religious experience.

It still ranks as one of my top 3 favorite albums ever.

Archived