The Evolution Of The Drum Set

Ross62

On 7/26/2018 at 5:06 AM, redrum said:

This is fun to watch.

🤣

5 hours ago, redrum said:

Got this on EBAY. Looks like a big chunk of keystone chocolate, but plays great and is quieter than other pads I've tried.

$_1.JPG

👍

6 hours ago, Ross62 said:

^ That was a great vid.CP derives such pleasure from drumming.

Did you see the camera vibrating? Either from the sound waves through the floor or coming right at the camera.

Yes. I love watching him. He's become my 'new' drumming hero. The camera shake was definitely real. A seismic shift. :drumz:

Finally got my piccolo snare after playing 'delivery tag' with Fed-Ex for a week. It's so beautiful and heavy and sounds great, but I will re-tune it. It also has locknuts for the tension rods. Carl signed it on the inside. :notworthy:

On 8/10/2018 at 5:22 PM, redrum said:

I finally got my piccolo snare after playing 'delivery tag' with Fed-Ex for a week. It's so beautiful and heavy and sounds great, but I will re-tune it. It also has locknuts for the tension rods. Carl signed it on the inside. :notworthy:

Excellent.Signed by the man and all.

I've looked at a few Piccolo's on sale sites and toyed with the idea of buying one.What made you buy one and what will guide you through the tuning process? 

15 hours ago, Ross62 said:

Excellent.Signed by the man and all.

I've looked at a few Piccolo's on sale sites and toyed with the idea of buying one.What made you buy one and what will guide you through the tuning process? 

I just like their sound and the fact this one is so beautiful. I tuned it with the normal cross pattern starting with finger tight on each lug. I had to re-adjust the strainer too as it was 'bottomed out' and the snares still had some rattle. The drum's got some pop now. :drumz:

749053eee38d34edebd1c522bc2acabd.jpg

Visiting my friend the other day I asked him if he still had a snare drum some guy found in a dumpster a few years ago. He pulls it out and it's all dirty and dusty. The strainer was broken in two. I asked him if he wouldn't mind if I took it to clean it up and I sent for the a new Gibraltar strainer ($21). It's a 5x14 'Pacific' 3 ply maple painted a nice satin black. The head has been played like you wouldn't believe and I'm going to keep that on there along with the old snare head. I like broken in heads. It oughta sound good.

I'd be buying snares and kits every other day of the week if I could afford it and if I had somewhere to keep them.And as re:broken in heads,I leave them on as long as I can.

17 hours ago, redrum said:

The head has been played like you wouldn't believe and I'm going to keep that on there along with the old snare head.

I'm not sure what you mean by "head" as you also mentioned the snare head.Did you mean the hoop?

On 8/14/2018 at 6:56 PM, Ross62 said:

I'd be buying snares and kits every other day of the week if I could afford it and if I had somewhere to keep them.And as re:broken in heads,I leave them on as long as I can.

I'm not sure what you mean by "head" as you also mentioned the snare head.Did you mean the hoop?

Me too, if I could afford it. I have a copy of Drumhead magazine's special issue (Vol. 1) on 43 top drummers and their snare drum collections. Just amazing the beautiful drums featured. 

Yes, on the Pacific snare the top batter head has had most of the coating beaten off. The new strainer works great and the drum sounds even greater. I may just ask him if he'll sell it to me. B) 

The piccolo is actually bell brass with die cast hoops. That's why it's got some weight to it. 

5 hours ago, Ross62 said:

^There's 2 things I always liked about Devo,that's their quirkiness and tightness. 

For sure. 'Whip It' is a killer beat. Their version of 'Satisfaction' is the ultimate quirky. 

h569D790E