REQUEST FOR SOME UNUSUAL INFO

FreedomDylan

:) Hey everyone!

Ok. Gotta ask another "stupid" question here...

During the first UK tour {1969} how did they handle accommodations etc???

For those of you who may not have already read my first post, I'm working on a script for an animated film about Led Zeppelin. The film itself is called "Friends" {for the song on 'Led Zeppelin III'} and takes place from the middle of January 1969 to early January 1970...

I'm asking that question mainly so that I can figure out how to go about laying out the part of the film that deals with the first UK tour...

Get back to me,

Thanks!

Dylan :) 

:) Hey Merle!

Thanks! Ya! I know that Led Zeppelin was founded in 1968. But my coauthor and I are starting during the tour. We start with the concert at the Iowa Memorial Union and the next day when the group is checked in in Detroit {a few days before the performance at the Grande Ballroom}...

Speaking of such things. I know from reading different accounts on this that there had been a shooting at the motel a few minutes before the group was checked in. According to one account the area was still being cleaned up. So now my question on this part of the topic:

What was the reaction among the musicians????

Thanks!

12 hours ago, FreedomDylan said:

:) Hey Merle!

Thanks! Ya! I know that Led Zeppelin was founded in 1968. But my coauthor and I are starting during the tour. We start with the concert at the Iowa Memorial Union and the next day when the group is checked in in Detroit {a few days before the performance at the Grande Ballroom}...

Speaking of such things. I know from reading different accounts on this that there had been a shooting at the motel a few minutes before the group was checked in. According to one account the area was still being cleaned up. So now my question on this part of the topic:

What was the reaction among the musicians????

Thanks!

You're getting their Detroit hotel check-ins mixed up. Their check-in for the 1/17/69 was uneventful. Their check-in on 5/16/69 for that night's performance is when the incident occurred at the Congress Hotel. The bellhop had shot and killed a robber in the front lobby about thirty minutes prior to their arrival. They had arrived in the pre-dawn hours after being flown in from Hawaii. Richard Cole's account of this incident is in his book. Robert has said he recalls that first US tour was a real eye-opener...the first time he ever saw a policeman with a gun, the hospitality of the California blondes, etc.

:) Hey Steve!

Thanks for that info. I'm meeting with my coauthor later on today and will let him know. At this point we're about halfway through and I've been editing constantly up to this point. I've also got an older friend who is a big fan of Led Zeppelin and I will run the problem with the dates by her too. At this point I can't change date info because I'm in the midst of the writing process. I read Cole's book a long while back and that's where I first found an account of that incident. I am also going to see if I can find an account of the incident in one of the Detroit newspapers or else contact their PD's records section...

I'm going to write a short intro disclaimer for the film too. So we are either going to move that event up the timeline or deal with the discrepancy in the disclaimer. Thanks again for your help!!

Get back to me,

Thanks again!

19 hours ago, FreedomDylan said:

I am also going to see if I can find an account of the incident in one of the Detroit newspapers or else contact their PD's records section.

I have already checked the Detroit Free Press online archives -- there's nothing. However, that could simply be because if it happened in the pre-dawn hours the newspaper wouldn't have known until after that day's paper had already gone to press. It may have been deemed not newsworthy two days after the fact, if the papers ever knew about it at all. All that said, I fail to see how this is particularly interesting. I suppose it could be, depending on how it was presented, but it's difficult to maintain authenticity for an incident that is solely based on hearsay and as such may not have happened anyway.

:) Hey Steve!

Thanks for checking. I appreciate the help. I'll explain a little more when I get further into editing. But the jist is that that event sets off part of the plot line...

I'm coming from a different perspective with the script. So I might end up asking questions that most people wouldn't and come up with topics that most people on here might not find all that interesting...

Sorry too for the request for itinerary re the Summer of '69 UK tour. Turns out that I might not need that after all. At this point we will either start the UK tour timeline with the performance in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne going to Birmingham or Birmingham going to Manchester. Scenes that take place between performances {off-hours} might end up taking place within the areas with the musicians walking around etc etc because there were {and still are} places in England where it's safe to walk around. Even at night. For the USA summer tour my coauthor and I will figure things out when we get to that point...

Thanks again!

Dylan :)

54 minutes ago, FreedomDylan said:

:) Hey everyone!!

Did the shows in Newcastle Upon Tyne and Birmingham take place during daylight hours or at night??? 

Get back to me!

Thanks!

6/69...the opening acts went on around 7:30pm. Sunset likely would have occurred towards the end of Led Zeppelin's performance, and certainly before they left the venue. Speaking of which, these were indoor shows so I fail to see how it really matters.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/birmingham

3 hours ago, FreedomDylan said:

:) Hey everyone!!

Did the shows in Newcastle Upon Tyne and Birmingham take place during daylight hours or at night??? 

Get back to me!

Thanks!

I hope you'll be giving Steve A Jones a thank you in the credits of your Cecil B DeMille production.

Get back to me!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

:) Hey everybody!

Does anyone know the times for the performance at the Toby Jug Pub?? I'm assuming that it happened in the evening. But the ad doesn't give the time slot and there isn't any other way to find out.

Get back to me on this please,

Thanks!

Archived