Trying to decide if I should buy the remastered How The West Was Won...

First off, I love this collection of live tracks.  Its an absolute gift to fans.  I read of the remastering and heard there are some differences.

I've had the original on CD for years.

Is it worth buying it on CD again?  Love to hear the case for doing so.  I do have a big, fairly 'high end' sound system so I would think differences could be discerned.  But if they are not really significant differences, then why bother?

After reading about it I was shocked to see the recording at my local Walmart, where usually they have music that appeals to younger audiences and not much else. 

Get it.  It is only like $18.  It sounds noticeably better.  The drums sound better, you can hear the bass better.  To me the biggest difference is in the acoustic set.  Just glorious !  There is a whole thread already devoted to this where you can read lots of views on it.  If you like the original CD you will like this one better.  

2 hours ago, irondirigible said:

First off, I love this collection of live tracks.  Its an absolute gift to fans.  I read of the remastering and heard there are some differences.

I've had the original on CD for years.

Is it worth buying it on CD again?  Love to hear the case for doing so.  I do have a big, fairly 'high end' sound system so I would think differences could be discerned.  But if they are not really significant differences, then why bother?

After reading about it I was shocked to see the recording at my local Walmart, where usually they have music that appeals to younger audiences and not much else. 

54 minutes ago, John M said:

Get it.  It is only like $18.  It sounds noticeably better.  The drums sound better, you can hear the bass better.  To me the biggest difference is in the acoustic set.  Just glorious !  There is a whole thread already devoted to this where you can read lots of views on it.  If you like the original CD you will like this one better.  

Seconded - it's worth it. (Read the thread above for yourself for further proof.)

Are there still 2 guitars in places, and literally notes replaced in some solos ?? I have the boots for all this stuff, and while the

film "TSRTS" concert is also a cut and paste job, nowhere are there 2 guitars. I understand that the new release is worth it,

but Jimmy having two guitars in that 72' Ocean at times, cool for the general listener, not cool for a musician like me who tries

to get the full Monty with one guitar. Still, probably going to give in, get it. Just realize Zep never actually sounded like that.

19 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Are there still 2 guitars in places, and literally notes replaced in some solos ?? I have the boots for all this stuff, and while the

film "TSRTS" concert is also a cut and paste job, nowhere are there 2 guitars. I understand that the new release is worth it,

but Jimmy having two guitars in that 72' Ocean at times, cool for the general listener, not cool for a musician like me

Which sections of the the ocean have the two guitars? I'd like to check it out

the garden tapes doesn't remark on it 

On 5/2/2018 at 4:11 AM, Mithril46 said:

but Jimmy having two guitars in that 72' Ocean at times, cool for the general listener, not cool for a musician like me who tries

to get the full Monty with one guitar. Still, probably going to give in, get it. Just realize Zep never actually sounded like that.

Sorry, what are you talking about??? Just to be sure I have listened to the HTWWW remaster, Burn Like A Candle & the Moonchild release. I didn´t hear any two guitar parts, neither any replaced or altered notes in the solo or any other part. I can hear generally no difference between the official and the bootlegs. Of course the multi tracks of HTWWW display a wider tonal range of the guitar, such as the coda-fun- part of The Ocean, you simply won`t hear some nuances or dominant tones of some chords on the bootleg versions, simply because they are bootlegs.

No, No, just the main example is in the Ocean. You can clearly hear the two guitars particularly in the end "coda" section, and the solo is not the same as any of those two

dates in the boots. There are other examples, and fixing mistakes here and there, okay,

but I grow cold with two guitars. Actually Jimmy did that in live WIAWSNB, (BBC), but only

over the solo, and the overdub is a bit sloppy, so what. If you aren't a musician, you may have to listen a bit more closely, but it's really not hard to hear. Another gross violation is the HTWWW video version of ALS at Knebworth, where Page has added in a second guitar harmonizing with the first, not heard on any boot I have, although that same harmonizer may have been used during the 77' noise solo and NFBM. No big deal for any

other band, but the band has always prided itself on not using "outside help". But sure,

cutting and pasting parts, replacing a few notes. Two guitars live I draw the line, a student asked me to figure that live "Ocean" part live, I then realized there were two guitars playing

different  parts.

Archived