2018 NHL Season

zepscoda

July 1

• Vladislav Namestnikov is staying with the New York Rangers with a two-year, $4 million extension. (Link)

• Tobias Rieder hooks up with the Oilers on a one-year, $1.3 million contract. (Link)

• Matt Cullen goes back to Pittsburgh on a one-year. $650,000 deal. (Link)

• John Moore gets a big contract from the Boston Bruins. Five years, $13.75 million. (Link)

• #TavaresWatch is over. John Tavares has signed a seven-year, $77 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs. (Link)

The Sabres and Blues basically swap backup goalies now that Chad Johnson signs for one year, $1.75 million in St. Louis. (Link)

• The Hurricanes find their backup in Petr Mrazek. One year, $1.5 million. (Link)

• Michael Grabner heads west with a three-year, $10.05 million deal with the Coyotes. (Link)

• Kyle Brodziak joins the Oilers for two years, $2.3 million. (Link)

• After two seasons in the KHL, Val Nichushkin returns to Dallas with a two-year, $5.9 million deal. (Link)

• J.T. Brown joins the Wild on a two-year, $1.375 million contract. (Link)

• Ryan McDonagh inks a seven-year, $47.25 million extension to stay with the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Link)

The Stars stay busy adding Roman Polak (one year, $1.3 million) to their blue line. (Link)

• Tomas Plekanec is member of the Montreal Canadiens again. One year, $2.25 million. (Link)

• The Chicago Blackhawks add Cam Ward ($3 million) and Chris Kunitz ($1 million) on one year deals and ink Brandon Manning to a two-year, $4.5 million contract. (Link)

• The Coyotes make Oliver Ekman-Larsson’s eight year, $66 million extension official. (Link)

• The Colorado Avalanche add to their blue line bringing in Ian Cole on a three-year, $12.75 million deal. (Link)

• Blake Comeau is signed by the Dallas Stars, three years, $7.2 million. (Link)

Tyler Bozak joins Perron in St. Louis as the Blues ink the center to a three-year, $15 million deal. (Link)

• Thomas Hickey heads back to the Islanders with a four-year, $10 million contract. (Link)

• Paul Stastny leaves Winnipeg for the Vegas Golden Knights on a three-year, $19.5 million deal. (Link)

• The Jack Johnson to the Penguins deal is real and it’s $16.25 million over five years. (Link)

• Thomas Vanek (one year, $3 million), Mike Green (two year, $10.75 million) and Jonathan Bernier (three year, $9 million) have all signed with the Detroit Red Wings.

• James van Riemsdyk heads back to Philadelphia with a five-year, $35 million contract. (Link)

So my Sabres DID pull the trigger and get Hutton?  Great news!!!  I am going to the site to check now.  We now have Dahlin and Rasmus Ristolainen.  The best two young D men in the game IMO>  WE have Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, Mistelstedt and a bunch of young talent.  I say we are going to improve light years this season and within 3 years will be the team to beat in the NHL.  Thanks for starting the thread Zeps.  We will have fun.

PS, after the World Cup is over I will go back to my Sabres logo.  But this year, being a realist, I will cheer on my second favorite team to win the Cup.  The Blues.  I picked them and the Caps  to meet in the finals.  I was wrong on the Blues but I picked the Caps to win it all when the brackets came out on Hockeyblogs.  I won.  I plan on a huge bounce back from the Blues and Sabres.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

You wont believe this. The Sabres trade Ryan O'Reilly to the St Louis Blues and get back the mother lode in return.  First, 3 players.  Among them Bergland and Svabotcka where are both damn good and also two draft picks.  Af first and second rounder!!!!!!  Yes a first round next year and second the next year.  The Sabres rebuild is moving fast.  So now we have Eichel, Bergland Svabotcka, Dahin and Ristolainen and Reinhart, that could all be used on a power play.  It could be a scary unit. And a young one.

The Blues can have Chad Johnson.  I hope they plan to send him to the AHL t spare themselves the anguish of starting him when they chose to rest Allen on back to back nights and such?  Starting Johnson means you had best score 7 if you plan to win.  He sucks.  Good riddens to bad rubbish.  And the same for Lehner.  I can't remeber who had the misfortune of getting him.

Now my boys (Sabres) have a goalie.  Hutton.  And they have Dahlin to go with Ristolainen.  On the PP can you imagine them with Eichel?  Have fun stopping that. And the Blues, my second favorite are loaded too.  I think the Sabres won the O'Reilly trade.  And they did not let him walk,   So the 3 players was good as hell, but getting a number one and number two draft pick on top!!!  Unreal.  I just hope we do not finish last again and I would bet my last dollar we wont.  I expect us to unseat a team like Florida and make it in.  Going deep? Too soon.  Too young.  Guys like Eichel, Middelstedt, Reinhart, Dahlin, Nylander, and some of the other young additions will need time.  When we arrive though, look out.  My biggest concern is Houseley and if  he is the right guy.?  I would have fired him and begged Lindy Ruff to come back.  By the way, if you read this Zepcoda, do you know if Lindy is still with the Rangers?  Is he out of work?

• 4 weeks later...

OMG!!!!!!!!! My Sabres just robbed Carolina blind.  The Sabres have acquired Jeff Skinner from Carolina for a second rounder and a 3rd rounder and a kid  named Pu who is unproven.  So they have projected Skinner to play on the first line with Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart!!!!!  Look out baby.  We now have a real goalie in Hutton, and a good backup, and we have Bergland and Sobotka from ST Louis.  We have Rasmus Dahlin and Rasmus Ristolaiinen on the blue line, and I assume they can skate together on a power play.  The first line power play of the Buffalo Sabres is formidable to put it mildly

Zeppcoda, if you happen to hit this thread soon what say ye of the Sabres recent trades?  Highway robbery I say.  Freakin Skinner for Pu and a 2nd and 3rd rounder.  Unreal.  Maybe the best damn trade since the McCoy deal by the Bills?  And we have Bergland, Svobotka and draft picks for O'Reilly.  The Blues paid way too much.  I love Bergland.  Imaginei him with Eichel and Skinner and Dahlin and Ristolainen on the PP!!!!🏒:nhl_checking:

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Zeppcoda, if you happen to hit this thread soon what say ye of the Sabres recent trades?  Highway robbery I say.  Freakin Skinner for Pu and a 2nd and 3rd rounder.  Unreal.  Maybe the best damn trade since the McCoy deal by the Bills?  And we have Bergland, Svobotka and draft picks for O'Reilly.  The Blues paid way too much.  I love Bergland.  Imaginei him with Eichel and Skinner and Dahlin and Ristolainen on the PP!!!!🏒:nhl_checking:

Wow, the Skinner era is over in Carolina! 

That's a big time pic up for Buffalo. That kid can fly. It's going to take a while to get use to him in a Sabers uniform.

Lindy is still on as an assistant in NY.  I like him, and they became a better team Lindy there, despite the record last year, too many injuries. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-coaching-staff-1.19876824

15 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

My boys are going to be far better than the Rangers pal

🤣😂😅.... OMG. I hope not...

In all seriousness,  I think it's going to be a solid season for both teams.

Did the fourm do a NHL regular season pool last year?  

2 hours ago, zepscoda said:

How sad. Even sadder is how he lost all memory of being a player on the Blackhawks and all his accomplishments. One of Chicago's Mount Rushmore of Sports. R.I.P. Stan.

Haven't been giving much thought to hockey lately. But it was 102° today so sitting in a nice cool hockey arena sounds terrific right now.

i can't figure the Kings chances...my instinct is that their recent slide back to mediocrity and fighting just to make the playoffs will continue. They are still suffering from Dean Lombardi's Ben Wilson trade fiasco a couple years ago. A disaster that led to the firing of both Lombardi and Sutter.

Does Jonathan Quick still have it in him to carry the team in the playoffs like he did in 2012 and 2014? I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I mention my Sabres now have Jeff Skinner?  Man what a lineup we can now put out there on a PP>  Freakin Jack Eichel, Jeff Skinner, Pat Bergland, Rasmus Ristolainen and Rasmus Dahlin.  And of course we could use Okposo or Reinhart or Svobotka and on D Bogosian or Skandella.  Hutton in goal.  Back on the map baby

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, are you interested by the pre-season?

Personally not really, but i love ice hockey so i watch ...

Schedule for NJD

vs NYR

at Montreal

at New York Islanders

at NYR

at Winnipeg

at Sc Bern

Edited by Remi

On 9/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, Remi said:

Schedule for NJD

vs NYR

at Montreal

at New York Islanders

at NYR

at Winnipeg

at Sc Bern

I will go look at Buffalo's schedule soon.  I have high hopes that my Sabres take a big step forward.  And I also have faith the Blues are going to be right there

On 9/12/2018 at 1:08 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I will go look at Buffalo's schedule soon.  I have high hopes that my Sabres take a big step forward.  And I also have faith the Blues are going to be right there

For their first match of preparation, versus Columbus is a good challenge!!!

Boston win their two matches with Shootout ( Calgary and Washington ) 

Arizona is still bad or Golden Knight are better? they win 6-2 for the moment

Nashville vs Florida two times  today? i need to see that

On 9/10/2018 at 1:40 PM, Remi said:

Schedule for NJD

vs NYR

at Montreal

at New York Islanders

at NYR

at Winnipeg

at Sc Bern

I dont watch much preseason,  but did notice my Rangers won in OT last night.