Soundtrack Music ~ Movies, TV, Etc.

The Rover

The Third Man.  An incredible movie.  I did not see it until about 6 years ago.  Bought the soundtrack.   The whole soundtrack is great, as they weave a series of related themes throughout.  The story goes that the director did not know what to do for music.  One night he walked past a cafe in Vienna where they were shooting, and he heard an instrument he had never heard before - the zither.  He asked the player, Anton Karas to work on the movie music.  The main theme  became an international hit single in 1950.

I was going to put the final scene here with the closing theme but that would spoil the film.  Seek out the movie.  The final scene and music are incredible, my favorite ending to a movie ever.

Here is the main intro theme played live on zither by the composer.

And here is one more piece from a critical scene in the film.

The opening sequence with the main theme.  Music starts at 0:55.  At the end of the movie we learn in the credits that the film was produced at Shepperton Studios - yes the same Shepperton Studios that Zep used for TSRTS.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:13 AM, John M said:

The Third Man.  An incredible movie.  I did not see it until about 6 years ago.  Bought the soundtrack.   The whole soundtrack is great, as they weave a series of related themes throughout.  The story goes that the director did not know what to do for music.  One night he walked past a cafe in Vienna where they were shooting, and he heard an instrument he had never heard before - the zither.  He asked the player, Anton Karas to work on the movie music.  The main theme  became an international hit single in 1950.

I was going to put the final scene here with the closing theme but that would spoil the film.  Seek out the movie.  The final scene and music are incredible, my favorite ending to a movie ever

Great story about Anton Karas, I didn't know that. I like the Third Man very much and the music fits perfectly to the atmosphere.

The ending is epic. It's possible to visit the original location in the Viennese sewer system. The last time we visited Vienna we didn't had time for the tour but I had to promise Mr. LedZed the next time we're in Vienna we are doing the Third Man tour.
https://www.drittemanntour.at/en/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 2:34 AM, John M said:

Yes a cool movie - I had forgotten how cool the soundtrack is.  Thanks for the reminder.  What a chase scene!

Thanks. I watched the Shifting Gears video a few times (because it's so cool) and YT came up with this one

On 9/3/2018 at 11:52 AM, The Rover said:

Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" (Used in Platoon)

The Leonard Bernstein version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNhFMZP4NM

Excellent choice! Bernstein's interpretation with the Los Angeles Philarmonic Orchestra is out of this world. Without the shadow of a doubt  some of the best music ever recorded.

I have a wonderful compilation album with classical music in movies. It includes Barber's Adagio and Johann Pachelbel's Canon (The English Concert, Pinnock)  from Ordinary People

• 2 weeks later...