Story Of A 60s Drummer

Cartoone

Our drummer Charlie Coffils has published his new book Story Of A 60s Drummer  which features Jimmy Page & Led Zeppelin in the book. Jimmy appeared as a Guest Guitarist on Cartoone's debut album and Cartoone also Toured the USA in 1969 with Led Zeppelin and other great bands.

Charlie's book is a journey through what it's like to be in a band in the 60s, and also his many tragedies and achievements in his life. It's a great read, please go to the link and have a read what Charlie himself has written.

https://whizbuzzbooks.com/story-of-a-60s-drummer-charlie-coffils/      ( click to go there )

Charlie gave Jimmy Page a personal signed copy of his book last month, so hopefully Jimmy is enjoying reading about himself and the Zeppelin guys on tour in 1969.

Wishing Led Zeppelin the very best of luck on their's and Cartoone's 50th anniversary of being signed to Atlantic Records.

Keep on Rockin'

Cartoone

I'm very interested in this book, thanks for this post. I have to ask...is Jimmy the guitarist on the opening of Ice Cream Dreams? The similarities to Stairway are evident and it's a curious question since your song was recorded before Jimmy toured with Zep and Spirit. If so then that would seem to dispel the likelihood that Page took the idea from Spirit. 

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I'm very interested in this book, thanks for this post. I have to ask...is Jimmy the guitarist on the opening of Ice Cream Dreams? The similarities to Stairway are evident and it's a curious question since your song was recorded before Jimmy toured with Zep and Spirit. If so then that would seem to dispel the likelihood that Page took the idea from Spirit. 

I listened to that song yesterday too & thought the same thing. The book looks really interesting.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:31 AM, Cartoone said:

Our drummer Charlie Coffils has published his new book Story Of A 60s Drummer  which features Jimmy Page & Led Zeppelin in the book. Jimmy appeared as a Guest Guitarist on Cartoone's debut album and Cartoone also Toured the USA in 1969 with Led Zeppelin and other great bands.

Charlie's book is a journey through what it's like to be in a band in the 60s, and also his many tragedies and achievements in his life. It's a great read, please go to the link and have a read what Charlie himself has written.

https://whizbuzzbooks.com/story-of-a-60s-drummer-charlie-coffils/      ( click to go there )

Charlie gave Jimmy Page a personal signed copy of his book last month, so hopefully Jimmy is enjoying reading about himself and the Zeppelin guys on tour in 1969.

Wishing Led Zeppelin the very best of luck on their's and Cartoone's 50th anniversary of being signed to Atlantic Records.

Keep on Rockin'

Cartoone

Thanks for the info on the book. 

Yes Jimmy Page was the guitarist on Ice Cream Dreams, and most of the other tracks too. Listen to his lovely Gibson acoustic guitar on Withering Wood.

If Jimmy did use the chords from Ice Cream Dreams for "Stairway" then best of luck to him, we love Jimmy, and are honoured that he may have been influenced by our music in any way, and used some of our stuff for future Led Zeppelin recordings, we think that's wonderful, and we are so proud to have been associated with Jimmy and all the other Zeppelin guys.

Buy Charlie's book Story Of A 60s Drummer on amazon , he talks about Jimmy and Led Zeppelin, and other great bands. A brilliant book in our opinion, and it's for a very worthy cause.

Cartoone

50 minutes ago, Cartoone said:

Yes Jimmy Page was the guitarist on Ice Cream Dreams, and most of the other tracks too. Listen to his lovely Gibson acoustic guitar on Withering Wood.

If Jimmy did use the chords from Ice Cream Dreams for "Stairway" then best of luck to him, we love Jimmy, and are honoured that he may have been influenced by our music in any way, and used some of our stuff for future Led Zeppelin recordings, we think that's wonderful, and we are so proud to have been associated with Jimmy and all the other Zeppelin guys.

Buy Charlie's book Story Of A 60s Drummer on amazon , he talks about Jimmy and Led Zeppelin, and other great bands. A brilliant book in our opinion, and it's for a very worthy cause.

Cartoone

Very cool, I am very interested in getting the book. Thanks is for your post and reply. I know this has been discussed in the Stairway lawsuit thread, but it's very interesting about Ice Cream Dreams since Spirit released Taurus in Jan of 68.  Page had recorded with Cartoone in fall of 68 but he hadn't toured with Spirit yet, so isn't the allegation he heard Taurus on the first Zep in early 69? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Calling ALL you Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin fans out there. I'm reaching out to you to please buy my book " Story Of A 60s Drummer " and make it a Best Seller.

All the proceeds are shared between the two Head & Neck Cancer Groups that I support, so it's for a worthy cause. For every book sold I only get a very small amount in royalties, that's why it's important that I sell loads of books, so I can give my two Charities a nice big cheque for Xmas. 

The book is a great read, featuring all the Zeppelin guys, plus it features my late great mate Dennis Sheehan, who was Robert Plant's assistant for many years, and went on to be U2 Tour Manager for the last 25 years. So there is plenty of stuff in there to get you interested and get something from my story, however big or small.

So come on all you Zeppelin fans out there, start a campaign to help me with my quest to raise funds for my two charities using my book as a vehicle.

John Bonham will always be my all time favourite drummer, and Led Zeppelin my favourite band.

You can buy it at all the usual websites :- Amazon/Waterstones/BarnesandNoble/Foyles etc etc.

May the Groove always be with you.

All the best

Charlie ( Drummer Cartoone) and author of Story Of A 60s Drummer 

Reaching out to ALL  Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin fans out there. I'm appealing to you to please buy my book " Story Of A 60s Drummer " and make it a Best Seller.

All the proceeds are shared between the two Head & Neck Cancer Groups that I support, so it's for a worthy cause. For every book sold I only get a very small amount in royalties, that's why it's important that I sell loads of books, so I can give my two Charities a nice big cheque for Xmas. 

The book is a great read, featuring all the Zeppelin guys, plus it features my late great mate Dennis Sheehan, who was Robert Plant's assistant for many years, and went on to be U2 Tour Manager for the last 25 years. So there is plenty of stuff in there to get you interested and hopefully everyone will get something from my story, however big or small.

So come on all you Zeppelin fans out there, please start a campaign to help me with my quest to raise funds for my two Head & Neck cancer charities using my book as a vehicle.

John Bonham will always be my all time favourite drummer, and Led Zeppelin my favourite band.

You can buy it at all the usual websites :- Amazon/Waterstones/BarnesandNoble/Foyles etc etc.

May the Groove always be with you.

All the best

Charlie ( Drummer Cartoone) and author of Story Of A 60s Drummer 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to ALL the Zeppelin fans who have already bought my book on Amazon. The proceeds go to two worthy charities and I'm sure they will be grateful to everyone who bought my book Story Of A 60s Drummer

May the groove always be with you.

Charlie ( Drummer Cartoone )

• 1 month later...

Today marks 50 years since Led Zeppelin and Cartoone released their very first albums on Atlantic Records. What a wonderful day it was, as Atlantic legends Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler said,

" In 1969  Led Zeppelin and Scottish band Cartoone were the two bands that Atlantic have the most faith in to do well "   How right they were as 50 years ago Zeppelin's star shone bright and soared into stratosphere to become one of the greatest rock bands EVER !, and went on to sell millions of records.

Cartoone was another story ?, which I'm sure many of the millions of Led Zeppelin fans know about. Jimmy Page  was guest artist on Cartoone's  debut album, and became the 5th member of the band for the duration of making the album. But their star didn't shine like Zeppelin's, so they weren't able to fulfil the prophecy of the two Atlantic legends way back then, and faded into obscurity sad to say. At least they lived the dream of playing with Jimmy Page, and sharing the stage with Led Zeppelin on tour of USA,  not many bands can say that.

So may I raise a glass to both bands and say  " Well Done! for 50 years since your amazing debut albums "

Happy New Year to ALL Zeppelin fans all over the world.

Charlie ( Drummer Cartoone ) 

60sDrummer.jpg

Archived