More Informations about Physical Graffiti

artur

Hello!

I'm searching for some informations about this excellent double album PHYSICAL GRAFFITY. Does anyone knows when the recording sessions have begun. how long did it take to record it?

If you have any kind of stories about this album, please share them, this album is just fantastic!!

Love

Artur

Does anyone knows when the recording sessions have begun. how long did it take to record it?

The initial recording sessions began at Headley Grange in November 1973, however they were cut short when JPJ became ill. He said the accomodations there were damp and

dreary, but Jimmy loved the place.

In February 1974 they resumed the sessions, and by Springtime had moved them to

(Mick Jagger's) Stargroves in Newbury, Berkshire, England. They were joined by Eddie Kramer and his studio hand Ron Nevison.

Final mixing of the album was completed in November 1974.

As you can see, despite Jimmy's oft-quoted comment that "1974 didn't really happen",

insofar as progress in the studio towards a new album it certainly did. :)

It should be added that not all of the songs on the album were recorded for it. Houses of the Holy, Bron-Yr-Aur, Black Country Woman, The Rover, and the bed tracks of In the Light (originally recorded as In the Morning), were recorded in sessions from 1970-1972. :beer:

It should be added that not all of the songs on the album were recorded for it. Houses of the Holy, Bron-Yr-Aur, Black Country Woman, The Rover, and the bed tracks of In the Light (originally recorded as In the Morning), were recorded in sessions from 1970-1972. :beer:

Artur, one day Evster may even tell you more about that "Black Country Woman". ;)

The initial recording sessions began at Headley Grange in November 1973, however they were cut short when JPJ became ill. He said the accomodations there were damp and

dreary, but Jimmy loved the place.

In February 1974 they resumed the sessions, and by Springtime had moved them to

(Mick Jagger's) Stargroves in Newbury, Berkshire, England. They were joined by Eddie Kramer and his studio hand Ron Nevison.

Final mixing of the album was completed in November 1974.

As you can see, despite Jimmy's oft-quoted comment that "1974 didn't really happen",

insofar as progress in the studio towards a new album it certainly did. :)

Great stuff!! I didn't know that ^^ What about Alternative Graffiti then?

More informations about those recording sessions? ^^

Artur

The cover art was interesting when it first came out on vinyl. There were card board cutouts for the windows and the sleave liners had different pictures that you could align to show through the window holes. Some of them were pretty funny. The band was in drag in some shots. It was the album that turned me into a hard core fan. Page said that by recording the album during different places and times a good variation was achieved in the moods of the songs.

The cover art was interesting when it first came out on vinyl. There were card board cutouts for the windows and the sleave liners had different pictures that you could align to show through the window holes. Some of them were pretty funny. The band was in drag in some shots. It was the album that turned me into a hard core fan. Page said that by recording the album during different places and times a good variation was achieved in the moods of the songs.

Thanks for that my friend!!

I want some more Please!!! ^^

Artur

As Zeppelin never released singles in the UK when they were together, there were pressings made of Trampled Under foot/Black Country Woman to be released but at the last moment were scrapped, but pressings were made and those are sort after items I do believe !!

Edited by leddy

I remember very well the anticipation of Led Zeppelin's next release after Houses of the Holy (around 1975 I believe). It was an 18 month wait and the ourcry and excitement and anticipation for their next album in my opinion was unpredented. I remember I couldnt wait to get my hands on it and of course I bought the 8 track (the best technology available then) and put it in the sterio in my 1966 fastbackk Mustang. When I first heard Trampled Under Foot and Kashmir I was dumbfounded. Impressed but "Dazed and Confused" so to speak as it was so differant than anything previous. I was wondering how the critics and the music world and us young rockers in the US would react. The rest is history. I do think that it took a bit of time though. It is an album that grows on you and you have to listen a few times to get hooked. And to this day it is one of my favorites.

This Album Rocks, you're right!!