Rainbow

RainbowElf

I love Rainbow, the Dio era up to Graham Bonnet and some other stuff like the Doogie White material.

To me this band is my favorite over all other bands and I think they are better than Deep Purple, Ronnie just had an air about him, whether he was in Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath and Solo.

I know a lot of people consider Rising to be the bands best album, but to me their first album Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow is my favorite over all the Rainbow/Dio albums and their best.

I have all the Rainbow albums, while there are some good songs on the Turner albums, it's my least favorite era, I also have the Ronnie Romero Rainbow material, and think it's pretty good and the guy can carry a tune.

What are your opinions on the band and which is your favorite era?

Like the Dio era as the playing and songs are spectacular... Kill The King, Light In Black, Stargazer, Gates of Babylon, Catch The Rainbow to name some. OK wit the Bonnet line-up. First came across the band during the Turner version (Cardiff 1984 radio broadcast) and worked my way back. 

On 7/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, RainbowElf said:

What are your opinions on the band and which is your favorite era?

Ritchie Blackmore and Jimmy Page are my favorite musicians and my biggest influences, so you can get an idea.

Rainbow is one of my all-time favourite bands, in all its eras, unlike Deep Purple (only 68-93). My favorite era is with Ronnie James Dio and Cozy Powell. I really have intergalactic travel when I listen to the shows.

I also enjoy the eras of Bonnet, Turner (one of my favorite singers), White and Romero.

4 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Can anyone recommend any Rainbow/Dio era shows that have Stargazer in it?

I'm new to this bootleg stuff, and am really getting into the live shows via bootlegs.

This is one of my treasures from my collection (it's imported from Japan):

R-5669092-1499739115-9981.jpeg.jpg

I highly recommend it. I don't know if you've heard.

2 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

This is one of my treasures from my collection (it's imported from Japan):

R-5669092-1499739115-9981.jpeg.jpg

I highly recommend it. I don't know if you've heard.

Thank you Rodrigo, I will check it out, I’ll see if I can find the song listing for it, much appreciated.

Great band in the Dio era with some all-time great musicians.  Still not as good as Deep Purple, however.  Blackmore is like a brilliant writer who needs a good editor, and apart from Dio early on he really didn't have that in Rainbow.

I love Rainbow. The Dio era first and Foremost. I'll never forget the first time I heard Kill The King from On Stage. Pretty much right after it was released. It knocked me out..

One of those 1st impressions when I remember exactly where I was when I heard it..What a voice..Plus Cozy, Ritchie ...the whole band. just awesome. . 

I've also been appreciating Down To Earth a lot lately.

Eyes Of The World for me  is right up there with Kill The King, Lady Of The Lake, Stargazer, Long Live Rock And Roll, Man On Then Silver Mountain etc. a perfect song. 

I've been watching some great Video Diaries on Youtube of The Graham Bonnet Band on Tour. He seems like such a cool Down To Earth guy.. plus he still sings pretty awesome too. Great band..

Killer pipes on Down To Earth. 

The Joe Lynn Turner era is very good too.. But it doesn't have the same impact for me.  For some reason JLT always annoyed me a bit... Very big mouth in interviews,.. No doubt an excellent singer.

Can't Happen Here, Street Of Dreams, Stone Cold, Spotlight Kid ...all good stuff.. 

John Osbourne, I do think Roger Glover had a bit of a hand in helping Ritchie "edit" a bit. RB was looking, obviously to get more commercial with DTE and JLT. I think Roger Glover had a big hand in that.

Can't say I know much about Doogie White, or the current lineup... but I'll catch up some day..

Edited by the chase

19 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Great band in the Dio era with some all-time great musicians.  Still not as good as Deep Purple, however.  Blackmore is like a brilliant writer who needs a good editor, and apart from Dio early on he really didn't have that in Rainbow.

12 hours ago, the chase said:

I love Rainbow. The Dio era first and Foremost. I'll never forget the first time I heard Kill The King from On Stage. Pretty much right after it was released. It knocked me out..

One of those 1st impressions when I remember exactly where I was when I heard it..What a voice..Plus Cozy, Ritchie ...the whole band. just awesome. . 

I've also been appreciating Down To Earth a lot lately.

Eyes Of The World for me  is right up there with Kill The King, Lady Of The Lake, Stargazer, Long Live Rock And Roll, Man On Then Silver Mountain etc. a perfect song. 

I've been watching some great Video Diaries on Youtube of The Graham Bonnet Band on Tour. He seems like such a cool Down To Earth guy.. plus he still sings pretty awesome too. Great band..

Killer pipes on Down To Earth. 

The Joe Lynn Turner era is very good too.. But it doesn't have the same impact for me.  For some reason JLT always annoyed me a bit... Very big mouth in interviews,.. No doubt an excellent singer.

Can't Happen Here, Street Of Dreams, Stone Cold, Spotlight Kid ...all good stuff.. 

John Osbourne, I do think Roger Glover had a bit of a hand in helping Ritchie "edit" a bit. RB was looking, obviously to get more commercial with DTE and JLT. I think Roger Glover had a big hand in that.

Can't say I know much about Doogie White, or the current lineup... but I'll catch up some day..

Great post Chase, JLT really never did nothing for me, but yes there are a few songs I like.

@John Osbourne, I tend to disagree, for me Rainbow were always the better band and the one I listen to most often, I like Purple but not as much as Rainbow.

I was just talking about Zep reuniting and putting out an album in another thread, I know there were talks about Rainbow getting back together with Ronnie before his passing, how great that would've been and imagine the album, loved Ronnie's Dungeons, Dragons and Wizard themes, they always put me in a mystical place.

Edited by RainbowElf