"Manic Nirvana"-Rehearsals

Hi! Recently I stumbled over an interesting video from Robert Plant's Rehearsals 1990 - my question: can anybody help and name where those rehearsals in spring 1990 took excactly took place? Thanks for your help !!!

On 6/13/2023 at 2:34 AM, zeppcollect said:

Yes, I'm sure - there's 16min of the rehearsals (incl. "Here Comes The Rain" by The Cult) and also an40min- interview with Robert

How interesting! I actually haven't seen this video footage before. According to my notes, in March 1990 rehearsals for the upcoming European tour were held in Salcombe as it was close to Phil Johnstone's expectant wife Frances. A rehearsal studio in Salcombe with gothic windows -- the game is afoot! Actually, Chris Blackwell used to be pretty responsive on social media to inquiries and if he is still is then he may recall precisely where this was held.

Edited by SteveAJones

I think it may have been this place:

https://www.salcombefarm.co.uk/the-recording-studio

now available on Air b’n’b!

Their FB page has some  comments  about ‘home of Led Zeppelin…’.

I clearly remember some of the footage appearing on Antoine deCaune’s “Rapido” program… I may even still have the clip on a video somewhere.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:34 PM, zeppcollect said:

Yes, I'm sure - there's 16min of the rehearsals (incl. "Here Comes The Rain" by The Cult) and also an40min- interview with Robert,
Here's the link fot the reheasal:

The "Here Comes the Rain"  is just a lyric in the Plant track SSS&Q   ...not the Cult song.    Hopefully Chris Blackwell or someone can confirm which studio this rehearsal is from.  I notice that "studio 54 exeter"    now has a "Phil Johnstone Suite". 

Edited by dave2007
spelling

4 hours ago, dave2007 said:

The "Hear Comes the Rain"  is just a lyric in the Plant track SSS&Q   ...not the Cult song.    Hopefully Chris Blackwell or someone can confirm which studio this rehearsal is from.  I notice that "studio 54 exeter"    now has a "Phil Johnstone Suite". 

Correct. Interestingly enough, Charlie Jones (Plant’s son in law) has also played with Goldfrapp, Souisxie, Page & Plant & most recently The Cult (as a touring member). He posts a good bit via Instagram. Blackwell posts most regarding his recording studio via Facebook. He’s good to respond occasionally, too like Charlie. 

R😎

On 6/15/2023 at 2:09 AM, reids said:

Correct. Interestingly enough, Charlie Jones (Plant’s son in law) has also played with Goldfrapp, Souisxie, Page & Plant & most recently The Cult (as a touring member). He posts a good bit via Instagram. 

I attended Page/Plant at the Shepherds Bush Empire in March 1998. Long prior to the doors opening, a London taxi cab pulled up out front and delivered Charlie Jones, who came bounding out towards the artist's entrance. I'm sure he traveled in luxury a fair bit during the Page/Plant era, but I was impressed in that moment by his down to earth approach to what was widely considered at the time to be a gig of massive importance -- the UK return of Page/Plant and in support of their new album! 

3 hours ago, zeppcollect said:

... and what a helluva gig that was !!!

To this day one of the best gigs I've ever attended. I recall a light fog blanketing Sheperds Bush after the sun set, shortly before the doors were opened. "The Old Devils are back!" Robert exclaimed onstage, repeating the words on the front cover of Uncut's latest issue. All of their new material from Walking into Clarksdale came across exceedingly well. It was truly a triumphant return, leading into one of the greatest summer's of my life as a global Traveling Led Head on the world tour. 25 years ago. I feel so old.

I went to the shows in Munich in November 1998 and the last night of the tour in Frankfurt 1998 - standing in front of the stage Robert Plant looked like a giant and Jimmy Page? ... Well, I've never seen him play better (and I saw hin four times with Zep among other times) - we knew, we had seen history as we drove homewards. Then they played the short spot at the Amnesty-Benefit in Paris and til this day I cannot understand Plant's decision calling it quits.
They were simply awesome and everybody seemed so happy playing together.
Even after 25 years those memories stay fresh in my mind, no matter how much time passes.

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

To this day one of the best gigs I've ever attended. I recall a light fog blanketing Sheperds Bush after the sun set, shortly before the doors were opened. "The Old Devils are back!" Robert exclaimed onstage, repeating the words on the front cover of Uncut's latest issue. All of their new material from Walking into Clarksdale came across exceedingly well. It was truly a triumphant return, leading into one of the greatest summer's of my life as a global Traveling Led Head on the world tour. 25 years ago. I feel so old.

Very cool. I saw them in May ‘98 in Charleston, SC. A friend who was a dj for local radio station invited me and my gf at the time to watch as he interviewed P&P. They invited us to soundcheck, where RP wasn’t very talkative (actually tired ) but JP talked about a few things in the works which resulted (5 years later as we know to be HTWWW 3 cd set and Led Zeppelin dvd). The Manic Nirvana album brought P&P together (Knebworth 90) which helped tremendously for the P&P partnership 95 & 98 releases / tours. Some of my favorite memories were from those times. 

R😎

20 hours ago, zeppcollect said:

I went to the shows in Munich in November 1998 and the last night of the tour in Frankfurt 1998 - standing in front of the stage Robert Plant looked like a giant and Jimmy Page? ... Well, I've never seen him play better (and I saw hin four times with Zep among other times) - we knew, we had seen history as we drove homewards. Then they played the short spot at the Amnesty-Benefit in Paris and til this day I cannot understand Plant's decision calling it quits.
They were simply awesome and everybody seemed so happy playing together.
Even after 25 years those memories stay fresh in my mind, no matter how much time passes.

I too attended Frankfurt! Front row right side. My fondest memory is tthroughout the show a young German attendee repeatedly shouted requests for Train Kept A Rollin'. Having already seen them so many times that year, I thought to myself that's one request that will never be honored. Much later in the show, towards the end if memory serves correct, they indeed launched into Train Kept a Rollin. The German went into convulsions, experiencing a total ear-gasm in the front row of Festhalle. 

I also attended Oberhousen, but I got stuck in traffic near the venue and missed nearly half the show. Fortunately, a friend I met a few months later in Koln shared with me a nearly complete video recording of the Oberhousen concert. It's a real shame it seems no one videotaped Frankfurt.

Edited by SteveAJones

15 hours ago, reids said:

Very cool. I saw them in May ‘98 in Charleston, SC. A friend who was a dj for local radio station invited me and my gf at the time to watch as he interviewed P&P. They invited us to soundcheck, where RP wasn’t very talkative (actually tired ) but JP talked about a few things in the works which resulted (5 years later as we know to be HTWWW 3 cd set and Led Zeppelin dvd). The Manic Nirvana album brought P&P together (Knebworth 90) which helped tremendously for the P&P partnership 95 & 98 releases / tours. Some of my favorite memories were from those times. 

R😎

A great experience! Is there a recording of the interview in circulation?

Yes, if my memory is right they heard that attendee and played"Train Kept A Rollin" in the "Whole Lotta Love" middle-section. And yes, I agree it's a shame that show wasn't videotaped and we have only an average audience-recording which doesn't catch the frenzy going on