R.E.M.

gperkins151

I have the impression that R.E.M took the disbandment decision long ago, it wasn't an overnight decision. They just didn't want to communicate it, or couldn't communicate it for some legal reasons. The fact is they didn't tour this year, they were rarely seen together in 2011 except for maybe the photo sessions with Anton Corbijn, each of the members were involved in their own personal projects. Prior to that September 21st announcement they had been separated for quite a while --that's the impression I have, although I could be wrong.

I believe it was Mills that said they first began to mull it over during the Accelerate tour in 2008. They have chosen not to tour behind previous records (Out of Time and Automatic for the People immediately come to mind) so that was nothing out of the ordinary. What struck me as odd was how, in interviews for Collapse Into Now, none of them seemed to know what the future held for R.E.M. beyond the release of that record. For the first time in their history, R.E.M. seemed to have no future plans. This, despite the mention of 2-3 tracks that didn't make the cut for Collapse Into Now. The lack of promotion on the part of the band members, aside from a few interviews, also seemed strange. All of these things, coupled with the prospect of their contract with Warner Brothers finally being up, which Buck addressed (albeit in a roundabout way, during an interview with The Big Takeover), earlier this year seemed to indicate the end was nigh. As for individual projects, that is something R.E.M. have done since the beginning of the band so that didn't seem out of place to me. If anything, Mills mentioning the possibility of a solo album, did.

It's a pity that most of the songs from Collapse into Now will never be played in concert. As far as I remember only Every Day is Yours to Win (and probably another song from Collapse into Now that I don't remember at the moment) were performed by Michael Stipe and a backing band early in 2011 during a Tibet concert. So most of the songs from Collapse into Now will go into that vault of songs R.E.M. never performed live, that group of songs include: Bittersweet Me and Sing for the Submarine.

They did perform "Sing For the Submarine" live at least once during the Accelerate tour (see clip below). They also performed it live (although not in front of an audience) for a segment they taped for Vincent Moon's Takeaway show.

Edited by Jahfin

They did perform "Sing For the Submarine" live at least once during the Accelerate tour (see clip below). They also performed it live (although not in front of an audience) for a segment they taped for Vincent Moon's Takeaway show.

Well thanks, I wasn't aware of that Sing for the Submarine performance, I'll watch it later at home. As for the Vincent Moon clip I had seen it already, actually it's where Stipe has that "Nosferatu" look which Bong-Man mentioned in his post. :)

Bong-Man also said:

Would have loved to see them at a small venue like a Fox or Fillmore type theatre setting.

You should have seen them at the Olympia theatre in Dublin, that was an intimate performance.

And speaking of the Vincent Moon sessions I especially enjoy the accoustic versions of Supernatural Superserious and Living Well is the Best Revenge.

This song alone, Living Well is the Best Revenge, justifies the purchase of Accelerate.

Even though I was a fan as of my first listen to "Laughing" in 1983, I never did get to see them in any clubs. My first two shows were at Cameron Indoor Stadium on the campus of Duke University in 1986 and 1987, respectively. The smallest place I ever saw them in after that was probably the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville during the Around the Sun tour in 2004. If ever they do decide to grace a stage again I would imagine it will be something along the lines of the 40 Watt in Athens. Although I'm content with them not doing a farewell tour or one final show, I will be keeping my ear to the ground for any one-off performances (preferably with Bill Berry) they may do in the future. In the meantime, I'm sure they'll be enjoying some well deserved and long overdue downtime. That is, except for Peter Buck, who's about to hit the road with the Minus Five and John Wesley Harding.

Even though I was a fan as of my first listen to "Laughing" in 1983, I never did get to see them in any clubs.

I was pretty lucky, as not only did I get to see them perform in a small club (Bowery Ballroom, NYC), but it was just after Up had come out. They played a lot from Up and IIRC, they didn't tour for that album.

I was pretty lucky, as not only did I get to see them perform in a small club (Bowery Ballroom, NYC), but it was just after Up had come out. They played a lot from Up and IIRC, they didn't tour for that album.

Actually, they did. At first, they weren't going to but after a few promo shows they decided to tour for it. They played in Raleigh, NC on August 27, 1999 with Wilco doing the opening honors.

n1409980344_391806_7521293.jpg

Wilco opening for R.E.M. at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh, NC on August 27th, 1999.

n1409980344_391848_2636984.jpg

R.E.M. performing at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh, NC on August 27th, 1999.

Setlist

Lotus

Wake-Up Bomb

Fall On Me

Suspicion

Electrolite

Everybody Hurts

Daysleeper

Camera*

The Apologist

Sweetness Follows

The Great Beyond

The One I Love

E-Bow The Letter

At My Most Beautiful

Star 69

Losing My Religion

Man On The Moon

Walk Unafraid

Encore

Hope

Why Not Smile?

What's The Frequency, Kenneth?

Tongue

Stipe's Piggly Wiggly story

Find The River

It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

*Played for the first time since 1985

"Catchy name for REM greatest hits record"

It is, but I think just about any great rock band with a deep catalogue of albums can make the same claim........if they were honest enough to that is.

If I'm not mistaken, it came from an interview Peter Buck did that's on the In View DVD compilation. Too bad they never got use Love and Squalor for an album title. Maybe they can work into the box set somehow.

Jahfin.....I get the story behind REM'S cover of "Superman"...that Mills sang lead and Stipe wasn't a big fan of it, but is there some other reason that "Superman" is not listed as being on the cd track listing or the liner notes of "Life's Rich Pageant" ? I don't understand the reason to hide the track when it was released as a single anyway. Any clues ?

Jahfin.....I get the story behind REM'S cover of "Superman"...that Mills sang lead and Stipe wasn't a big fan of it, but is there some other reason that "Superman" is not listed as being on the cd track listing or the liner notes of "Life's Rich Pageant" ? I don't understand the reason to hide the track when it was released as a single anyway. Any clues ?

I've never heard that Stipe wasn't a fan of "Superman". As for the other part of your question, this comes from the R.E.M. FAQ page:

o B7. "Why is the actual song order on Lifes Rich Pageant different from that listed on the back cover? And do some copies actually list the song 'Superman' as 'Superwoman'?"

Reportedly, the song order on LRP was changed at the last minute, too late for the cover art to be changed. While it's anybody's guess why this was not subsequently corrected for later domestic vinyl and CD pressings, it *has* been corrected for many foreign and record club versions. Bear in mind that the off-beat creativity of the mixed-up list, and the cryptic "lyrics clues," is typical of the band.

Note also that some European issues of LRP have the proper track order, but list "Superman" as "Superwoman."

On a related note, the song "When I was Young" is listed on the sleeve of Fables of the Reconstruction, but was dropped at the last minute, destined to reappear later in quite revised form on LRP as "I Believe."

To my knowledge, this electronic press kit for Out of Time has never been uploaded to YouTube but it's online now via R.E.M.'s official channel. I recall seeing bits and pieces of this on MTV and Night Flight (on the USA Network) back when Out of Time first came out but I've never seen the entire thing until now.

On the subject of "We All Go Back To Where We Belong", former No Depression magazine co-editor and co-founder Peter Blackstock shares his thoughts on in it in this entry from his That Magnificent Ghost blog.

Yesterday, Michael Stipe and Mike Mills made the rounds on the BBC doing interviews with Simon Mayo for his radio program and putting in an appearance on the television program Newsnight. To listen to the radio interview, click here. To watch the Newsnight segment, click here.