The Janis Joplin Thread

lzfan715

Since we have other band thread, I thought why not start one for her? And what a better than now, since tomorrow (January 19) is her birthday. She'd have been 64. I know I'm not her only fan on here, so now others can talk about her here.

Happy Birthday Janis!

8.jpg

Edited by lzfan715

That is probably my favorite one too. Did you ever get the youtube link for her singing that on Tom Jones's show? I like Maybe too.

I love that picture. I think she's pretty. (Does that sound weird because I'm a chick too?)

Edited by lzfan715

When I saw Love, Janis they were selling an autographed poster of her topless coverd with the beads. If I had the $$ at the time it would be mine. One thing I got to look forward to is if there is an afterlife I will finally meet her.

They sure don't make 'em like Janis anymore.

No they don't. I wish they did though.

When I saw Love, Janis they were selling an autographed poster of her topless coverd with the beads. If I had the $$ at the time it would be mine. One thing I got to look forward to is if there is an afterlife I will finally meet her.

I read Love, Janis and it talked about how proud she was of that poster. "The Haight's First Pin-up", she even left them up when her mom visited.

If I had the money I'd get a Janis signature.

Stevie Nicks has those beads she paid like $50,000 for them.

I hate being broke all the time. I'm saving up to get Box of Pearls. It's $50. I don't have that much and I have to start putting money back for a car. I might have my dad go half and half with me on it, the music not the car.

Edited by lzfan715

I knew there were others.

:D

What's your favorite Janis song?

Well, thanks for starting the thread! I too am a Janis freak, though nowhere near as much as LZ...i have so many favorite janis songs, but the real revelation to me was when a three disc box set came out in the late 90's (i believe). It is the one with that famous nude w/beads pic on the inside...anywho, excellent set...I believe the very first song on disc one is, "What good can drinkin' do". This is (according to liner notes) her very first known audio recording, supposedly in 1962. The power of her vocals on this track alone is unbelievable! Amazing, unbridled power and passion...I had never heard it up until that point...blown away and still am every time i hear it!

I highly recomend this set to anyone...it has a LOT of alternate takes, unreleased songs, etc...

The song that ties the above listed track is another one from this box set, an incredible, unreleased track (almost positive, anyway) named simply, "Misery 'n" I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And honorable mention goes to "Farewell Song"...her shoes have never been filled...

Vintage Bugs are awesome cars. We used to chase each other through the woods in them. They float and if you get a flat two pickup the car while the third changes the tire. They run for ever. We would buy them at a junkyard for fifty $$ beat the shit out of them then sell them back to the junkyard for 25. a great day of fun.

You see when I went to the U.S it was all about Janis, Hendrix, Morrison, etc on their rock radio stations. And you could just tune in to them in your car! But here? Not at all. You'd never even hear Zeppelin on our national radio stations. You'd probably have to buy a digital radio just to get rock stations that play that kind of music :(

Edited by longdistancewinner