The Janis Joplin Thread

lzfan715

I recorded the film Janis on my DVR about a month ago when it was on VH1 Classics...I must admit, I was never really a fan, or knew much about her until I watched this. She seemed like such a fun person, and so down to earth, which really impressed me...I just recently purchased the book her sister wrote, Love, Janis, and have been enjoying that...

I just never really got into the Rolling Stones. Now they're just guys that tour in hopes of reliving the old days. It will never happen.

Having seen the Stones on tour as recently as just a couple years ago I can't say I got that impression at all, especially since a fair number of tunes came from the album that were out in support of at the time, A Bigger Bang. I saw no evidence whatsoever of a band hoping to relive the old days but one firmly rooted in the present. If that was their goal, they failed miserably, especially by playing new material.

In regard to Janis, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet as I haven't read the entire thread but even if it has, it never hurts to recommend Festival Express again.

festival_express_film_poster.jpg

Since we have other band thread, I thought why not start one for her? And what a better than now, since tomorrow (January 19) is her birthday. She'd have been 64. I know I'm not her only fan on here, so now others can talk about her here.

Happy Birthday Janis!

8.jpg

Thanks for starting this Janis thread and posting all of those great photos, lzfan714! I love Janis. She and Grace are my favorite women vocalists...and are both on my list of top 10 all-time favorite vocalists. I went through stages, when I was young, where I alternately dressed like Janis, Grace, and Stevie. As depressing as it is, "Ball & Chain" is probably my favorite Janis song.

Thanks for the link, EBD! Port Arthur/Beaumont has had, in the very recent past, a festival to celebrate Janis' birthday. Johnny Winter and other blues artists have performed there. I think the festival is affiliated with an East Texas music hall of fame.

Grace is also a favorite of mine. Stevie too, just not nearly as much as Janis. And about Ball and Chain that isn't depressing.

I've never been a big Stevie fan but I did love her style. You're right about Ball and Chain - there are more depressing songs. Janis is so emotional and her voice so powerful when she sings it, though, you can feel the pain and heartbreak in her voice.

It's okay. I posted it right above yours.

I know she didn't write that song, but I think it had a really deep meaning to her because of her baby.

Janis had so much pain and sadness in her life. Did you ever watch the documentary of her life? Here is the link:

http://boards.biography.com/thread.jspa?messageID=800039288

Edited to add link.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

I think they actually went out on a date once. I guess Dick realized he was in way over his head with her...he probably got drank under the table on the first date! Dick Cavett actually is a super intelligent, gifted individual...just not in the same league w/Janis.

I don't know about that.....Dick seemed like a real square for his times, hehehehhehehe :) :)

I think most people were like him though. And that a small percentage of people were like Janis.

>I think if that staement is purely based on the look OUTSIDE, it's dead wrong....the spirit of those times you either had it INSIDE or you DIDN'T.

"Feed your mind"!! :) :)

SURFERROCKCHICKLOGO.gif

ELECTRICGUITARANDEXPLOSION.gif

FOURTHDIMENSION.gif