Can I watch your garden grow?

jimmie ray

Anyone enjoy gardening here? The only thing that gets me out of the house, this time of year, is turning over the soil on days when it isn't frozen. I only use leaves from the yard to fertilize, but seem to get the best tomatoes year after year. It's tough work, but very rewarding, and keeps me out of trouble...

yes i do enjoy it mate i dig growing all things, plants to flowers, but most of it is herbs and spices, vegetables and the lot

and of course the good ole' herb of wonder mary jane love

Damn, I thought you meant something else.....

The Mrs. and I are planning on growing some things this season.Not too much;just some herbs,spices,tomatoes,and cucumbers,things of that nature.

There's nothing like home-grown.

Damn, I thought you meant something else.....

The Mrs. and I are planning on growing some things this season.Not too much;just some herbs,spices,tomatoes,and cucumbers,things of that nature.

There's nothing like home-grown.

if that something else your talking about is pot? then you are correct i do grow that... as well as other herbs spices vegetables, and fruits

:hippy:

if that something else your talking about is pot? then you are correct i do grow that... as well as other herbs spices vegetables, and fruits

:hippy:

No;I read the thread title,and thought of the song "Houses of the Holy".

Nothing wrong with growing your own,though....as long as the wrong people don't know about it. B)

I used to have my own garden and I hope that we'll move in summer and I can get one again. Really miss growing my own veggies and herbs. All I got now are some potted specimens. :(

Never been too lucky growing those darn tomatoes though - they seem to think that they're entitled to daily watering! :rolleyes:

Anyone enjoy gardening here? The only thing that gets me out of the house, this time of year, is turning over the soil on days when it isn't frozen. I only use leaves from the yard to fertilize, but seem to get the best tomatoes year after year. It's tough work, but very rewarding, and keeps me out of trouble...

Your turning the soil over already...you must be a serious gardener then. I do that for my father every spring, and he uses leaves mulched up too. We have always put fileted fish carcusses in the garden too, great fertilizer. A couple of summers ago, there was a big peanut bunker die off because of lack of oxygen in the water, due to an algal bloom. Me and my dad, netted up like 8 six gallon buckets full and dug trenches in between the plants and buried them. Otherwise fishing has been so bad the last several years, its just been a striped bass or blue fish here and there, but its guaranteed great fertilizer.

We get the best tomatoes too...incomparable to store bought and better than folks who use miracle grow etc. Natural fertilzer and flipping the soil, shovel by shovel, like a pancake is the best way to keep the soil going.

I think the acidity of the mulched oak leaves makes the tomatoes grow so well, and the worms seem to enjoy it, too. Some plants don't like it - I gave up growing lettuce, it looked nice, but was very bitter tasting. How do you use fish without drawing flies or yellow jackets, and doesn't the smell rise out of it?

I think the acidity of the mulched oak leaves makes the tomatoes grow so well, and the worms seem to enjoy it, too. Some plants don't like it - I gave up growing lettuce, it looked nice, but was very bitter tasting. How do you use fish without drawing flies or yellow jackets, and doesn't the smell rise out of it?

Sorry, i missed this. you bury the fish in the ground, atleast over a foot, so you dont hit it when turning the ground over. but ofcourse so racoons or other animals dont dig it up either. My brother buried some blue claw crab shells once and they werent deep enough. My dog found them immediately and dug them up.

• 5 years later...

I was watering my plants this morning and discovered this flower on one of my succulents. Kinda Little Shop of Horrors looking.

I can't figure out how to F%&c%i#g load pictures anymore. It's called a orbea variegata. Google it.

Archived