Plant ends 1988 tour, but it doesn't sound like a Zeppy new year

Cat

Author: Dave Hoekstra

You can't wrap a Christmas package better than this.

Robert Plant closed out his 1988 tour on a high note Thursday at the Rosemont Horizon, steering a sometimes impressionable but fluid band that continues to develop a real sense of balance. Joan Jett opened the show with her new band, and her 45-minute set revealed that Kenny Laguna, her manager-producer, finally has found someone who can play Rambo drums against Ricky Byrd's wily guitar. As Plant showed this summer at Poplar Creek, he is drifting away from the guitar-drenched material associated with Led Zeppelin in favor of a more equalized approach that absorbs the sleazy bass lines of 25-year-old Charlie Jones and a rather regal approach to keyboards from Phil Johnstone. The lead guitar from 25-year-old Doug Boyle may not be as expressive as Jimmy Page's, but it's more adaptable, sliding between jazzy improvisations and metal phrasing. This liberating sound worked best Thursday on tunes such as "Dance on My Own," which was backed by what could best be described as an explorative Salsazepplin beat. Plant also traded in the Zeppelin covers from this summer's outdoor leg of the tour for intimate material more suitable for concert hall material. "Goin' to California" worked particularly well, with Boyle and Jones laying back acoustic guitars and Johnstone contributing on mandolin.

Jett had a tough assignment, opening in a house full of loyal Zeppelin- Plant fans, but the sincerity of her sound cannot be denied. In previous incarnations, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts was pretty much Joan Jett, guitarist Ricky Byrd and two players to be named later. With the addition of former Utopia bassist Kasim Sulton and Billy Idol drummer Thommy Price, Jett finally is working from an embodied foundation. That's the reason for the overdue commercial success of material such as "I Hate

The icing on the cake on a cold night was the heartfelt response to WXRT's fourth annual "Concert for the Kids." Concertgoers donated toys for Children's Memorial Hospital.

Dare I say the halls were decked with a whole lotta love?

Thanks so much, Cat. I'm hoping you can find the article concerning Robert's visit to Children's Memorial Hospital as well.

In hindsight, that was a terrific tour. He gigged, and gigged and gigged. Chart success too!

What a shame the Manic Nirvana album which followed was so remarkably unremarkable.

Thanks so much, Cat. I'm hoping you can find the article concerning Robert's visit to Children's Memorial Hospital as well.

In hindsight, that was a terrific tour. He gigged, and gigged and gigged. Chart success too!

What a shame the Manic Nirvana album which followed was so remarkably unremarkable.

I guess we see that one a bit different. I LIKE Now And Zen, but I thought Manic Nirvana was much better. Too much poppy stuff on the former release, whereas the latter packs quite a punch.

But I must admit, 1988 was a huge step forward in Robert's career. :)

I guess we see that one a bit different. I LIKE Now And Zen, but I thought Manic Nirvana was much better. Too much poppy stuff on the former release, whereas the latter packs quite a punch.

I prefer Manic Nirvana to Now and Zen too. Much edgier and darker :D

Yeah, I liked Manic Nirvana quite a bit. Tye Dye On The Highway is one of my favorite Plant solo songs.

Yeah, I liked Manic Nirvana quite a bit. Tye Dye On The Highway is one of my favorite Plant solo songs.

That tour was one of Robert's best - he was reintroducing his Zep songs and he was tight but loose. A highly enjoyable gig. I saw him in Detroit that year I believe. Good stuff. I agree Manic Nirvana was overall, a better album. Robert still had the sparkle back then before he went into a more serious musician mode.

That tour was one of Robert's best - he was reintroducing his Zep songs and he was tight but loose. A highly enjoyable gig. I saw him in Detroit that year I believe. Good stuff. I agree Manic Nirvana was overall, a better album. Robert still had the sparkle back then before he went into a more serious musician mode.

1988:

The outdoor show at Pine Knob in May or the indoor show at The Palace in October?

or

1990:

The outdoor show at Pine Knob in July or the indoor show at The Fox in November?

Archived