Toronto, Sept. 4, 1971

Slidin' Thru

The Canadian National Exhibition is a huge summer fair held each year running mid-August until Labour Day. Exhibition Stadium (sometimes referred to as CNE Stadium) was on the grounds of the fair and held events all summer and even deep into the fall. I saw U2 there on Oct. 3, 1987. Now that was a cold night...but also the best concert I've ever seen.

Seeing U2 at St.Louis in the fall of '87 (on crutches!) used to be "the best concert ever" for me...until Page/Plant '95 and '98, that is...sorry off topic...

Robert Plant performed at the CNE on July 17, 1985. Apparently the left-field bleachers

of Exhibition Stadium were designated as the "Grandstand" seating for the concert. If

anyone has any further details feel free to post. There's over 6,000 members of this

forum and I bet more than one lives in Toronto so show me the money!

Not so in the boot I just got. He speaks quite a bit. Maybe there were a lot more, I don't know. Would love to hear the rest of the gig, though. And the quality is quite good for an audience recording.

It sounds as though you're listening to the soundboard portion of the gig, which (as you point out) does include Plantations. The audience recording (and I've got the TDOLZ silvers) does not.

I'm trying to find out if the Leafs were scheduled to play that night at the Garden's. They made the playoffs ( ahem) :) that year. They used to start a lot earlier than they do now. The answer could be, as simple as that. Someone out there know how to find an old schedule ? I'm not having any luck

I'm trying to find out if the Leafs were scheduled to play that night at the Garden's. They made the playoffs ( ahem) :) that year. They used to start a lot earlier than they do now. The answer could be, as simple as that. Someone out there know how to find an old schedule ? I'm not having any luck

They didn't play that night. On April 2 ,1977 they tied Boston 1-1 at home (when there were still ties in the NHL).

April 1 was a Friday, adding more evidence that the gig would have been at the Gardens. The only events held there on Saturday nights during hockey season were Leaf games, so the proposed Zep schedule was probably taking that into account.

They didn't play that night. On April 2 ,1977 they tied Boston 1-1 at home (when there were still ties in the NHL).

April 1 was a Friday, adding more evidence that the gig would have been at the Gardens. The only events held there on Saturday nights during hockey season were Leaf games, so the proposed Zep schedule was probably taking that into account.

Thanks for clearing that up

Archived