Toronto, Sept. 4, 1971

Slidin' Thru

Just got a hold of the boot of some of this concert - what a killer version of Celebration Day...sounded funny to heat Plant introduce it, after hearing it for years on TSRTS seaguing in from Rock n Roll.

Also amazing to hear such an early version of Stariway, which stuck pretty close to the studio version...you could tell they were really concentrating on it and wasn't quite as loose as the later, longer versions.

I thought it was funny too that Plant was giving a bit of a lecture (probably well-deserved, mind you) about basically shutting up and being respectful to others so they can hear...funny because, this is Toronto, where the crowds are still today notoriously polite and quiet. I remember Dave Winfield having to call on the fans to make more noise when he was playing here in the early 90s for the Blue Jays.

I thought it was funny too that Plant was giving a bit of a lecture (probably well-deserved, mind you) about basically shutting up and being respectful to others so they can hear...

I wonder if that's the reason why Zep never played Toronto after that. (At least as far as I know).

I wonder if that's the reason why Zep never played Toronto after that. (At least as far as I know).

Yeah, it's possible - although he had to give the same message in a lot of other places that they went back to. They had a lot of positive concerts here from 69 to 71 (eg the Rockpile) and had one of their biggest supporters among the press in Richie York, writing for one of the dailies. Whatever the reason, it's a shame they never returned.

Yeah, it's possible - although he had to give the same message in a lot of other places that they went back to. They had a lot of positive concerts here from 69 to 71 (eg the Rockpile) and had one of their biggest supporters among the press in Richie York, writing for one of the dailies. Whatever the reason, it's a shame they never returned.

I wonder if Harold Ballard had something to do with that. He owned Maple Leaf Gardens at the time and given the track record of the guy, maybe he wouldn't lease out the venue

I wonder if Harold Ballard had something to do with that. He owned Maple Leaf Gardens at the time and given the track record of the guy, maybe he wouldn't lease out the venue
I heard it did have something to do with Ballard and Peter Grant haggling over money. Hal was notoriously cheap as well and I don't think would be bullied into paying more.In the end I believe Peter said not again.

They seldom performed in Canada at all so Toronto really shouldn't feel singled out.

Well they did up to 71. I posted the question on your Mystery thread

Well they did up to 71. I posted the question on your Mystery thread

I'll check it out. Most promoters/venue owners thought 10% of Led Zeppelin was worthwhile. I can't help but wonder if immigration concerns (and drug laws) were

a concern. They experienced hassles at the border enroute to their 1970 Montreal concert. They did of course play the Montreal Forum in February 1975. We'll see.

I'll check it out. Most promoters/venue owners thought 10% of Led Zeppelin was worthwhile. I can't help but wonder if immigration concerns (and drug laws) were

a concern. They experienced hassles at the border enroute to their 1970 Montreal concert. They did of course play the Montreal Forum in February 1975. We'll see.

Yeah Montreal 72 and 75

Vancouver 72 (Scheduled ) 73 and 75

Harold Ballard was a nasty piece of work. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just didn't allow them to play. Other cities in Canada didn't have large enough venues to house the band but Toronto certainly did.

Yeah Montreal 72 and 75

Vancouver 72 (Scheduled ) 73 and 75

Harold Ballard was a nasty piece of work. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just didn't allow them to play. Other cities in Canada didn't have large enough venues to house the band but Toronto certainly did.

I think the timeline shows a total of seven Canadien concerts were performed. It is

probably true to say Maple Leaf Gardens was Toronto's only suitable venue for a

Led Zeppelin concert after 1970. The other venues I can think of were too small.

I heard it did have something to do with Ballard and Peter Grant haggling over money. Hal was notoriously cheap as well and I don't think would be bullied into paying more.In the end I believe Peter said not again.

Ballard was a stubborn old coot who owned the Maple Leafs hockey team. At one point in the 70s he didn't want to follow the league mandate to have players' names sewn on the back of their jerseys. When he could avoid it no longer and was forced to, he agreed - but had the letters made in the same colour as the shirt, so they weren't visible! Just one example...

Ballard was a stubborn old coot who owned the Maple Leafs hockey team. At one point in the 70s he didn't want to follow the league mandate to have players' names sewn on the back of their jerseys. When he could avoid it no longer and was forced to, he agreed - but had the letters made in the same colour as the shirt, so they weren't visible! Just one example...

Yes, but he would not give a flying you know what , what band performed there. Every big name in music played there back in the day when Harold was around.

I just realized there is of course the April 1st 1977 Toronto date which was postponed in a press release on March 3rd on account of Robert Plant's tonsilitis which affected several of the dates on the first leg. The death of Karac Plant in July ruled out rescheduling. I don't

have the venue confirmed but it was almost certainly Maple Leaf Gardens. Perhaps some

substantiation can be provided by a Canadien forum member.

I just realized there is of course the April 1st 1977 Toronto date which was postponed in a press release on March 3rd on account of Robert Plant's tonsilitis which affected several of the dates on the first leg. The death of Karac Plant in July ruled out rescheduling. I don't

have the venue confirmed but it was almost certainly Maple Leaf Gardens. Perhaps some

substantiation can be provided by a Canadien forum member.

It very well could have been the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE). Eagles played there, G'N'R etc. It could hold well over 55-60,000. I think it was torn down a few years ago. Maybe not.

I vaguely remember the reason Zep didn't play at Maple Leaf Gardens after '71. I think Ballard wanted to charge them $200,000 to rent it or something ridiculous like that and also something to do with the security, not sure what though.

Edit; On a tour date site I have it says Zep played - 01/04/1977 Memorial Auditorium, Dallas, Texas

This incorrect?

I vaguely remember the reason Zep didn't play at Maple Leaf Gardens after '71. I think Ballard wanted to charge them $200,000 to rent it or something ridiculous like that and also something to do with the security, not sure what though.

This incorrect?

Yeah it was pretty much for that reason.....When his son Bill and Mike Cohl formed CPI in 1973,alot changed. Things became more friendlier for the acts that came into the MLG.

Hal was a character. When the Beatles played MLG, Ballard turned off the A/C and increased the price of softdrinks. :blink:

My question is this - what on earth happened to the rest of the soundboard tape for this show? Surely it exists somewhere, even it's been hoarded.

Of course we have the audience tape of this show, even though (if memory serves me correctly) the plantations have mostly been edited out.

I think it was torn down a few years ago. Maybe not.

On a tour date site I have it says Zep played - 01/04/1977 Memorial Auditorium, Dallas, Texas

This incorrect?

Exhibition Stadium was torn down in 1999. Lots of great memories went with it, that's for sure. Zep could've played there conceivably, although the revised plan for the 77 tour had them playing in TO on April 1. Would have been pretty cold still. Maple Leaf Gardens would've been the probable choice. In fact, six days later the Blue Jays played their first ever game at the Ex in a snowstorm.

And yes they did play Dallas on that date - the tour opener.

even though (if memory serves me correctly) the plantations have mostly been edited out.

Not so in the boot I just got. He speaks quite a bit. Maybe there were a lot more, I don't know. Would love to hear the rest of the gig, though. And the quality is quite good for an audience recording.

Exhibition Stadium was torn down in 1999. Lots of great memories went with it, that's for sure. Zep could've played there conceivably, although the revised plan for the 77 tour had them playing in TO on April 1. Would have been pretty cold still. Maple Leaf Gardens would've been the probable choice. In fact, six days later the Blue Jays played their first ever game at the Ex in a snowstorm.

And yes they did play Dallas on that date - the tour opener.

Yeah, i don't think they would have been playing the CNE in April. If they were scheduled for TO on that date it would have been the Gardens.

Yes, but he would not give a flying you know what , what band performed there. Every big name in music played there back in the day when Harold was around.

Your probably right Spats. I threw Ballard's name out there because I know he had a habbit of going out of his way at times to be controversial. He would pick his fights though. I could see him making it impossible for Zeppelin to play at the Garden's just because, he could. If everyone say's white, he had to say black

I threw Ballard's name out there because I know he had a habbit of going out of his way at times to be controversial. He would pick his fights though.

There could be something to this in regards to '72-'75, but the April 1st '77 date shows they intended to return to Toronto (and quite probably at Maple Leaf Gardens).

There could be something to this in regards to '72-'75, but the April 1st '77 date shows they intended to return to Toronto (and quite probably at Maple Leaf Gardens).

And it would have been the Garden's. No way it would have been CNE. Way too cold for an outdoor.

Brrrr

And it would have been the Garden's. No way it would have been CNE. Way too cold for an outdoor. Brrrr

I agree it would not have been the CNE, but I'm still hoping someone from Toronto can confirm it was slated for Maple Leaf Gardens.

I didn't think the CNE even opens until August, anyways.

The Canadian National Exhibition is a huge summer fair held each year running mid-August until Labour Day. Exhibition Stadium (sometimes referred to as CNE Stadium) was on the grounds of the fair and held events all summer and even deep into the fall. I saw U2 there on Oct. 3, 1987. Now that was a cold night...but also the best concert I've ever seen.

Archived