Led Zeppelin "Origin of the Species" DVD

I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw a Led Zeppelin DVD titled "Origin of the Species." I have never heard of this one before and was wondering if anyone can tell me more about it. Specifically what I want to know is if it provides anything "new." What I mean is I have all their CDs and a decent enough amount of concert footage on DVD. Therefore it wouldn't make sense to "buy more of the same."

Can anyone give me some more information on this DVD? Does it provide Zep nuggets that maybe we wouldn't have seen before? Rare interviews? Explanations of how they got ideas for certain songs? Because all of that I WOULD be interested in. But if it's just more concert footage I think I'll pass. With that in mind, can anyone recommend/argue against buying this? Thanks.

not meant sarcastically but..

what does it say on the dvd jacket? is there just a title and nothing else or does it hint at what the contents are?

i'd certainly be interested to find out more on this dvd.

not meant sarcastically but..

what does it say on the dvd jacket? is there just a title and nothing else or does it hint at what the contents are?

i'd certainly be interested to find out more on this dvd.

Well...I don't remember all the specifics but it had basically all of the cheap sales talk that EVERY item on a store shelf has: "the best...the greatest...never seen before....like no other."

I was just wondering what the consumer had to say about it.

Well...I don't remember all the specifics but it had basically all of the cheap sales talk that EVERY item on a store shelf has: "the best...the greatest...never seen before....like no other."

I was just wondering what the consumer had to say about it.

well generally these things tend to be poor and not worth investing in unless theyre really cheap price.

i have three dvds (all presents from well intended people) "reflections" "music in review" and "total rock review" and theyre all poor, though "reflections" does at least have a lengthy printed interview in its liner notes.

they tend to be a nutshell history of the band, with brief clips of the music over still photos, talking head clips from a journalist of the 70s and other people youve never heard of. most feature video clips from the australian tour in black & white and maybe a few snatches of audio from bootlegs.

if you're a newcomer to the band watching one wont hurt at all, but if you know the band's history already, its unlikely you'll learn much, though i admit to not seeing this one so it could be great, but if it were someone would have alerted us to it by now.

i'd say dont bother with it and get something you know to be good instead

:D

I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw a Led Zeppelin DVD titled "Origin of the Species." I have never heard of this one before and was wondering if anyone can tell me more about it. Specifically what I want to know is if it provides anything "new." What I mean is I have all their CDs and a decent enough amount of concert footage on DVD. Therefore it wouldn't make sense to "buy more of the same."

Can anyone give me some more information on this DVD? Does it provide Zep nuggets that maybe we wouldn't have seen before? Rare interviews? Explanations of how they got ideas for certain songs? Because all of that I WOULD be interested in. But if it's just more concert footage I think I'll pass. With that in mind, can anyone recommend/argue against buying this? Thanks.

yes i have it,it is better than most others and it states that it is a "critical review of the bands roots and branches" and thats exactly what it is ,mainly pre Zeppelin history ,includes a 'the story of the yardbirds' special feature, if your into historicals its brilliant , if your into performance its not.

The author, Alan Clayson, is a Yardies fanboy, often staunchly critical of Jimmy Page and LZ, and it does show in both his book and on the DVD. This said, that DVD is actually more useful than many other similar releases, and way better than Led Zeppelin: The Making of a Supergroup for instance. That however is not to say very much, and I don't rate this DVD highly at all. A really good history of the band in that kind of format still needs to be made. If I remember correctly though an old friend of mine, Evster2012, recommended some program made by VH1 years ago, but I don't think that one's easily available, and I haven't seen it. B)

Archived