Questions I've always wanted to ask a rock legend

There are certain legends of rock n roll. Guys who have been doing it for decades and will be listened to until the end of time. Obviously I don't exactly have Jimmy Page or Paul McCartney or Mick Jagger on my speed dial but there are certain things that I would love to ask guys like them if I had the opportunity.

1. When they hear one of their songs on the radio, how do you think they react? Do they turn it up? Turn it off? Does it depend on the song? Or are they just so numb to it by now that it doesn't even phase them?

2. Do you think they ever "forget" one of their own songs? Do you think Robert Plant ever forgets the words to a verse from a Zeppelin song from thirty years ago? Does Pete Townshend occasionally draw a blank of how to play a certain guitar riff from a Who song?

3. Probably the one I would be most curious about is what songs do these guys play on their own time? When Jimmy Page is lounging around the house by himself on a Sunday afternoon and he picks up his guitar, what do you think he plays? Old Zep songs? New stuff he's working on? When John Paul Jones sits in front of the organ in his living room, what do you think he plays?

I realize these questions all ask for speculation in their answers. I also realize that the answers may be different for each musician. But I have always been curious about these specific questions. If anyone knows (perhaps you have heard an interview where a musician has covered one of the above mentioned topics), I would love to hear. Even if someone wants to speculate, I would love to get the dialog going. Thanks.

2. Do you think they ever "forget" one of their own songs? Do you think Robert Plant ever forgets the words to a verse from a Zeppelin song from thirty years ago? Does Pete Townshend occasionally draw a blank of how to play a certain guitar riff from a Who song?

3. Probably the one I would be most curious about is what songs do these guys play on their own time? When Jimmy Page is lounging around the house by himself on a Sunday afternoon and he picks up his guitar, what do you think he plays? Old Zep songs? New stuff he's working on? When John Paul Jones sits in front of the organ in his living room, what do you think he plays?

2. We know from bootlegs that Robert had forgotten lyrics - he was forgetting them in the 70s so I bet he would have some troubles now, particularly with songs never/rarely played live. It's possible the only time he ever sang them was in the studio.

3. Good question - I wonder if there are any riffs that Page wrote that he thinks are so cool he keeps playing them after all these years?

Yeah, I've seen Robert forget words several times. The only reason I know, is that I would be singing along in my mind, then he'd miss a word.

Once, I was in the front and he saw me notice his flub, he just grinned. :D

The last tour he had the words to one song written down by the set list....can't recall the song.

But it was one on the new CD. Mighty Rearranger.

I was in front again, hey I'm short!, and I did manage to get the set list from the 'Soundtrack Of Our Lives', but the roadie quickly scooped up the set list for Robert when he saw a girl and I eye-balling it.

:lol:

Yeah, I've seen Robert forget words several times. The only reason I know, is that I would be singing along in my mind, then he'd miss a word.

Once, I was in the front and he saw me notice his flub, he just grinned. :D

The last tour he had the words to one song written down by the set list....can't recall the song.

But it was one on the new CD. Mighty Rearranger.

I was in front again, hey I'm short!, and I did manage to get the set list from the 'Soundtrack Of Our Lives', but the roadie quickly scooped up the set list for Robert when he saw a girl and I eye-balling it.

:lol:

It's no different to JPJ's sign on the mellotron - Kashmir: remember the coda.

It's not unheard of for vocalists to have an auto-cue video monitor somewhere so that if they need reminding, it's right there. I'm not saying RP should get one, but forgetting lyrics is not unusual (occasionally), same for a guitarist or anyone else who might have a momentary lapse.

In my experience, little mistakes like that can come about when you try to think too much - if you just play and get in the zone, you are fine, and as soon as you start thinking - "what's the next bit", that's when you stuff it up.

It's no different to JPJ's sign on the mellotron - Kashmir: remember the coda.

It's not unheard of for vocalists to have an auto-cue video monitor somewhere so that if they need reminding, it's right there. I'm not saying RP should get one, but forgetting lyrics is not unusual (occasionally), same for a guitarist or anyone else who might have a momentary lapse.

In my experience, little mistakes like that can come about when you try to think too much - if you just play and get in the zone, you are fine, and as soon as you start thinking - "what's the next bit", that's when you stuff it up.

True in music, true in life!

Hey Joe (no pun intended!!:)), I happen to like your thread. Cool questions you're asking....all I can say (and not speculate) is I'd love to read the Zeps' reply.

Rob

Thanks. Yes I have always been very curious about what these kind of guys play when they are all alone. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Also how they react when they hear one of their songs on the radio.

1. Yes - I would think there would still be great pride in hearing songs.

What I would be curious to know is how they react to someone else playing one of their songs

2. Yes - With as many songs as these artists have, it would be hard not to forget.

3. Probably not - These guys need to keep their ideas fresh, so I imagine them playing new stuff.

I think that if an artist is a true artist...like Zep are!!...they will never forget what took them to success from a musical point of view. They not only grow with their work, but they evolve too. That is why I have a grudge against those bands that seem to forget where they came from by changing their "style of music" just to appease a broader range of fans and often spit on their past!

LED ZEPPELIN ARE NOT LIKE THAT........fortunately! :) :)

Robert.

LEDZEPREUNIONLIVEAYO2LONDON2007.jpg

MOTHERSHIPcompalbumLedZep.jpg

Archived