Michael Lee: Drums, percussion.

When I first saw Michael Lee ;On page and plant "No Quarter" I thought heres a guy that was really enjoying himself and did an awesome job of "four sticks". wonder why you don't here much about the guy as I believe he had real potential as a drummer and felt he nailed the songs on the "No quarter" recording.

When I first saw Michael Lee ;On page and plant "No Quarter" I thought heres a guy that was really enjoying himself and did an awesome job of "four sticks". wonder why you don't here much about the guy as I believe he had real potential as a drummer and felt he nailed the songs on the "No quarter" recording.

Drugs.

When I first heard him, I thought he was ok, and I still think he is ok. He's better than me, I'll give him that. The other night I listened to a whole Page/Plant show (1996.02.15 I think), then the O2 reunion show with Jason playing. The difference was night and day, Michael Lee is an average player in my book. To make matters worse, I then put on Zeppelin show (Hamburg 1973 one of my faves) and actually felt sorry for Jason. Talk about big shoes to fill. He's a great drummer, but there is nothing better than a motivated John Bonham. Neil Peart may be the all time best percussionist, but he just doesn't have any feel or swing to his drumming. It's too technical. Guys like Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and BOnzo could hit it right and at the right time where others just can't.

There are a lot of great drummers out there, and why Plant chose Lee is beyond me, but he did not do the music any justice. If you want to compare him to someone other than a Bonham listen to a Page/Plant show and then a Jimmy/Black Crowes show. Steve Gorman is much better.

When I first heard him, I thought he was ok, and I still think he is ok. He's better than me, I'll give him that. The other night I listened to a whole Page/Plant show (1996.02.15 I think), then the O2 reunion show with Jason playing. The difference was night and day, Michael Lee is an average player in my book. To make matters worse, I then put on Zeppelin show (Hamburg 1973 one of my faves) and actually felt sorry for Jason. Talk about big shoes to fill. He's a great drummer, but there is nothing better than a motivated John Bonham. Neil Peart may be the all time best percussionist, but he just doesn't have any feel or swing to his drumming. It's too technical. Guys like Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and BOnzo could hit it right and at the right time where others just can't.

There are a lot of great drummers out there, and why Plant chose Lee is beyond me, but he did not do the music any justice. If you want to compare him to someone other than a Bonham listen to a Page/Plant show and then a Jimmy/Black Crowes show. Steve Gorman is much better.

Just curious, how can Neil Peart be the "all time best percussionist" if he lacks feel and swing? I couldn't give the "all time best" designation to any musician who lacks feel and (in the case of a drummer) swing!

I have to disagree about Lee being "mediocre". He was superb at the two shows I saw (San Jose 1995 and Mountain View 1998), and on every recording I have of the band he plays his heart out. He was an excellent drummer. Another Bonzo? Of course not. But excellent nonetheless. Plant chose wisely.

I have to disagree about Lee being "mediocre". He was superb at the two shows I saw (San Jose 1995 and Mountain View 1998), and on every recording I have of the band he plays his heart out. He was an excellent drummer. Another Bonzo? Of course not. But excellent nonetheless. Plant chose wisely.

Absolutely! He was excellent.

Hell! Look at him playing... He's so happy to be behind the kit!

I think he did a very good job! B)

Just curious, how can Neil Peart be the "all time best percussionist" if he lacks feel and swing? I couldn't give the "all time best" designation to any musician who lacks feel and (in the case of a drummer) swing!

He's the best drummer for Rush's style of music.

Well, it was late and perhaps worded wrong. My designation of him as "all time best percussionist" is due to the fact that he can AND does play all sorts of percussion instruments rather than just the drums.

Absolutely! He was excellent.

Hell! Look at him playing... He's so happy to be behind the kit!

I think he did a very good job! B)

That was the reason I started this post. when he (Michael Lee) was involved with page and plant you could see that he was really,really enjoying/living the music that he was playing .which is what jimmy page described how Jason Bonham was like because he understood what the music was about .What would have been good to see at the 02 concert was maybe "four sticks" added to the set list and see if Jason could really nail that song.I'm not saying M.LEE is better than Jason !what I'm saying is when you play a song like that ;to be able to show enjoyment when you are playing it is a really a neat/ awesome experience in itself .I bet there was a lot of drummers at the "time"of page and plant tours etc would have been very,very envious as to him playing with them .and he knowing full well that people would have been judging his performance as well.....Sorry to hear that the demon drugs took away a talented musician .

Archived