Mel Galley Dies

Knebby

As reported by hs dear friend and ex-bandmate Glenn Hughes:-

"Hi everyone, We have some extremely sad news to report this morning, in fact, we'll let Glenn tell you directly.

++ Melville

I am so very sad to report the passing of my oldest friend Mel. He drifted into his Golden sleep @ 10pm last night. He is now with his higher power...he has come home. I will cherish his memory and all the things that Mel shared with me in his full and rich life...but most of all, he showed me to live like a man. He took my hand as a boy and walked me thru my earliest chapters as a young musician....he alone is responsible 4 my career as a working musician/singer-songwriter. Let's all remember Mel with love in our hearts and he wanted you all 2 know how overcome he was with the Global outpouring of love 4 him...he said to me "I had no idea, how many people cared and loved me".....he was the man, he was my childhoodidol along with Jimi and Eric. You are the Music. I'll see you in the Garden one day and I will recognise you as my brother..... Gxo"

(From the CTC newsletter)

"Hi everyone, We have some extremely sad news to report this morning, in fact, we'll let Glenn tell you directly.

++ Melville

I am so very sad to report the passing of my oldest friend Mel. He drifted into his Golden sleep @ 10pm last night. He is now with his higher power...he has come home. I will cherish his memory and all the things that Mel shared with me in his full and rich life...but most of all, he showed me to live like a man. He took my hand as a boy and walked me thru my earliest chapters as a young musician....he alone is responsible 4 my career as a working musician/singer-songwriter. Let's all remember Mel with love in our hearts and he wanted you all 2 know how overcome he was with the Global outpouring of love 4 him...he said to me "I had no idea, how many people cared and loved me".....he was the man, he was my childhoodidol along with Jimi and Eric. You are the Music. I'll see you in the Garden one day and I will recognise you as my brother..... Gxo"

(From the CTC newsletter)

RIP Mel

Whitesnake's Slide It In is one of my favourite albums of all time.

++ Melville

I am so very sad to report the passing of my oldest friend Mel. He drifted into his Golden sleep @ 10pm last night.

[...]

Aw, what sad news. I heard, earlier this year, that he was suffering from cancer. I saw photos of him at his 60th birthday and he was ravaged by cancer. My prayers and condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

RIP Mel

Whitesnake's Slide It In is one of my favourite albums of all time.

That's a great album. I also remember Mel from his earlier band, Trapeze.

Former Whitesnake star Mel Galley has lost his battle with cancer.

The 59-year-old guitarist revealed he was seriously ill in February 2008, telling fans he didn't have long to live.

In a candid post on his MySpace.com page, he wrote, "I've had a fantastic life. I have been very lucky. I have seen some great bands, and played with many great musicians.

"I have enjoyed some tremendous experiences. I am thankful that I can say a proper goodbye to all the friends I have made, who are now rallying round me."

The star, who also performed with classic rock acts Trapeze and Phenomena, revealed his final weeks were full of fun of fun and laughter.

In a recent post, he wrote, "Friends visit me each day, I have drugs in me 24/7, and I have a plentiful supply of gin and tonic by my bedside. I even have my own ice machine! In fact, it's just like my Whitesnake days."

Born in Staffordshire, England, Galley was forced to quit Whitesnake after injuring his arm in a fairground accident in Germany.

He suffered nerve damage and pioneered a spring and wire device, known as The Claw, that was fitted to his hand to enable him to play the guitar.

During Whitesnake's recent European tour, frontman David Coverdale dedicated "Love Ain't No Stranger" to his sick pal. Galley wrote the song with the singer.

Trapeze frontman Glenn Hughes has paid tribute to his childhood friend, stating, "I'll see you in the Garden one day, and truly recognize you as my brother."

http://www.q1043.com/cc-common/news/sectio...article=3912221

RIP Mel

Even when it's not completely unexpected, something like this is still very hard to take when it happens. :(

It really is sad. I met Mel a long time ago...right after he joined Whitesnake and I found him to be a VERY lovely man who was a fantastic guitar player. Trapeze was great and it saddens me very much to hear this...

Mels solo during Mistreated in 1983....RIP Mel. You will be missed.

Jeff

Archived