he headache thread

roblindblad

I never get headaches...

well once when I was about 8 I felt a headache come on and took an Aspirin.

As soon as the Aspirin touched my tongue, even before swallowing the headache went away and I haven't had a headache or Aspirin since.

I believe the brain is like a muscle and by taking headache pills the person weakens the brains own response system to controlling headaches and by not letting the brain control it's own response to headaches the headache pills cause the brain to become dependent on headache pills and possibly causing more headaches as it feels a need for headache pills in its system.

Train your brain to pass over the headache.

I never get headaches...

well once when I was about 8 I felt a headache come on and took an Aspirin.

As soon as the Aspirin touched my tongue, even before swallowing the headache went away and I haven't had a headache or Aspirin since.

I believe the brain is like a muscle and by taking headache pills the person weakens the brains own response system to controlling headaches and by not letting the brain control it's own response to headaches the headache pills cause the brain to become dependent on headache pills and possibly causing more headaches as it feels a need for headache pills in its system.

Train your brain to pass over the headache.

most people who suffer from headache's have tried that already. try letting your brain try to pass a 5 day long migraine!....you couldn't be more wrong...... sorry but it's the truth.

it's obvious you don't suffer from headache's so what would you know. the only thing worse is a severe tooth ache! I'm talking emergency room tooth ache. I would like to see you try to pass one of those?

edited to say: I have to be fair

most people get headache's because of a condition. mine come from my white blood cells expanding. it has nothing to do with my brain craving an asprin. but I do remember times in my past especially in the summer (heat headache's are the worst) when I was taking asprin before a headache even accured. kinda silly but yeah the brain can trick you into taking asprin. I guess your post has some validness to it. but only a little :D

I don't get headache's all the time anymore but when I do I have to take something or it won't go away.

most people who suffer from headache's have tried that already. try letting your brain try to pass a 5 day long migraine!....you couldn't be more wrong...... sorry but it's the truth.

That is your truth with your body as mine is for me.

I'm just relating something I've known through experience as are you.

As for migranes I can tell you that my aunt had suffered from those for many long hard years and she finds that taking oxygen when she can feel her migrane starting stops it.

it's obvious you don't suffer from headache's so what would you know. the only thing worse is a severe tooth ache! I'm talking emergency room tooth ache. I would like to see you try to pass one of those?

like i said i've had one headache so I just thought I'd relate perhaps reasons as to how I have't hadn't had any since.

yeah the brain can trick you into taking asprin

Yah because not all brains butt many of them will get used to headache pills doing the job for them and loose their sense of ability to do it without assistance.

As for pain it is also a matter of controlling ones mind over pain. when I was about 18 I was drinking a few beer with a friend and even though we were playing around, just a little shoving back and forth however in his drunkeness at one point he took it seriously and he shoved me at full force back onto a bonefire. I tried to save my balance and in doing so landed my hand in the middle of a big bonfire. I pushed myself back out while my hand was piled into the middle of the bonfire ground.... as I got up a person yelled "Hey Rob why'd you put your hand in the bonfire?"

I immediately replied "Because it's freezing out here."

That little joke must have released my happy endorphins to my brain which released the pain.

I broke my ankle once in the morning getting off the bus going to grade 5 elementary school... I remember going though classes all day thinking I broke my ankle. When I got home and unzipped my boot my ankle was as big as the size of a half grapefruit.

In grade 7 I knew that the brain could control pain so I told my friend this and demonstrated it to him as I told him to give me a lit cigarette which I'd hold while concentrating on a little dot on the red bricked school. He gave it to me and I held it till it burnt away between my fingers without feeling the pain that one usually associates to such an event.

That's just a few of the many examples I can give you so yes I do have a high tolerance to pain

I've broken many bones. three years ago I pulled over to help a few guys change a tire but it was a set up and they tried to rob me but I fought back. and one of the guys bashed me with a tire iron my left hand was severely damaged from blocking the blows. they didn't get my money lol...and I didn't take any medicene for my arm.. (it took me 8 months before i could even use it again and three years later it still is only 80%).

see I can handle the pain from most serious injuries but not headaches! just picture your brain being to big for your head. sometimes I would think of drilling a hole in my head to release the pressure...serious! you go blind vomit and can't walk or lie down you have to sit up in a chair and breath, and sometimes it takes hours before you can get back to just a plain old migrain...you got to remember headaches are in your brain and not in your arm or leg.

that's how bad I and so many others feel when they get bad headaches..now a days all I need is two excedrin and I am fine for the most part. but sometimes I still get the worst migraines ever!

my whole family suffers from them so it's in my jeans. and I have also attended plenty of meetings and have delt with hundreds of others who suffer the same. now a days they have hospitals just dedicated to people that suffer from headaches! more people suffer from migrains then any other illness.

lol wouldn't headache pills give you a headache?...like sneezing powder makes you sneeze?

I have a couple of migraines a year, they are not fun, I know a day or two ahead of time that one is coming but there is nothing I can do to stop it, and nothing but 24 hours of hell in a dark room will get rid of it once it hits.

Oh and whoever brought up toothaches, too true. I have been dealing with 2 broken and abcessed wisdom teeth(they come out the 15th)..has been constant hell for 3 weeks now(the antibiotics have dulled it a little, and the pain killers do nothing..I stopped taking them a week ago). I get no sleep(only when I pass out from total exhaustion), eating is a horribly painful ordeal, and don't even talk to me because I am not a nice person lately. lol makes the migraine look like a pretty sweet deal actually

I just read that anise is good for migrains

Synthetically speaking, one may say about the anise that it is a medicine plant recommended for curing nervous asthenia, migraines, vertigos, rheumatism, cough, bronchial asthma, gastric pains, and slow digestion.

My migraine headache regimen:

First line of defense: Ibuprofin gel caps, anywhere from 800-1600mgs.

If that doesn't successfully prevent the headache from

escalating into a full-blown migraine, I then resort to:

Imitrex + vicodin + ice pack + dark room + quiet

+ meditative-like focused attention to breathing.

If all goes well, I'll eventually be able to fall asleep and wake up later, relieved of my headache. Sometimes though, the migraine will subside a bit.. enough that I can function in my everyday life.. but won't actually go completely away for a few days.

Migraines suck. <_<

I recently discovered Imitrex nasal spray. It's a real life saver for those times when a migraine is already to the point where its simply not possible to take medication orally (because anything going into the stomach will lead to puking).

I'm rather intrigued by your grandmother's use of oxygen as

a migraine treatment, Rob. I'm gonna ask my doc about that. ;)

The only thing that works for me is breaking a sweat. Migraines, though? Ugh. I've only had a few, and the only thing that works for me is laying down in a dark room.

Vicodin Hermit?..shit might as well deal with it rather than put myself out of commission with that lab rat shit. I hate pharm companies and only take ANY medication in dire emergencies

Vicodin Hermit?..shit might as well deal with it rather than put myself out of commission with that lab rat shit. I hate pharm companies and only take ANY medication in dire emergencies

If by "deal with it" you mean "suffer through it",.. I take it you've never had a migraine.

It's not the medication that puts me "out of commission", it's the migraine that does that.

The medication.. "that lab rat shit", if you prefer.. helps put me back in commission.

If by "dire emergency" you mean "a medical condition that would require you to go to an

emergency room to get treatment for",.. then a migraine qualifies as a "dire emergency".

;)

If by "deal with it" you mean "suffer through it",.. I take it you've never had a migraine.

It's not the medication that puts me "out of commission", it's the migraine that does that.

The medication.. "that lab rat shit", if you prefer.. helps put me back in commission.

If by "dire emergency" you mean "a medical condition that would require you to go to an

emergency room to get treatment for",.. then a migraine qualifies as a "dire emergency".

;)

I've suffered from migraines since I was a kid, not pleasant. It's just the serious aversion I have to prescription medication(actually any drug that you can't grow and make paper out of gets a thumbs down from me...alcohol being the major exception). I tend to have a couple of bad migraines a year, I can tell a day or so before that it's coming, but I usually wake up with them...and forget taking anything..I puke everything up. lol I really don't like dry heaves with that bitter medicine taste so yeah, I just suffer thru them

and by dire emergency that pretty much boils down to antibiotics for raging infections, and the tetanus shot every 10 years when I inevitabley(sp?) injure myself doing something stupid

...and forget taking anything..I puke everything up. lol I really don't like dry heaves with that bitter medicine taste so yeah, I just suffer thru them

No sense in needless suffering, friend. Imitrex nasal spray works great

for those times when taking oral "remedies" is out of the question. ;)

imitrex-ns.jpg

But hey,.. if suffering is your gig,.. then by all means suffer away! :cheer:

B)

:hippy:

Archived