The cars of zeppelin

LZFord

Rick Hobbs was certainly around before Jimmy married Patricia Ecker. Mr Hobbs seemed to be around when JPP and Charlotte lived at the Mill House, if you recall the references to him in the Hoskyns book.

I know that in later years, Jimmy had a driver called Lionel.

How long did Rick Hobbs work for Jimmy? I know he also drove for him too.

How long did Rick Hobbs work for Jimmy? I know he also drove for him too.

Jimmy Page and Rick Hobbs first became acquainted circa 1970; Mr. Hobbs passed away at 81 on January 25, 2010.

I know that in later years, Jimmy had a driver called Lionel.

Yes, Lionel was Jimmy's minder during the Page/Plant era. Knebby may recall with certainty when Lionel was first hired (may well have coincided with Mr. Hobb's retirement).

Jimmy Page and Rick Hobbs first became acquainted circa 1970; Mr. Hobbs passed away at 81 on January 25, 2010.

Yes, Lionel was Jimmy's minder during the Page/Plant era. Knebby may recall with certainty when Lionel was first hired (may well have coincided with Mr. Hobb's retirement).

I knew he died in the last few years. Thank you both.

Interesting stuff gents! More names for me to search around even if the vehicles themselves continue to prove elusive! On my travels last night I cam across a blog that mentioned Plant and Page hiring a cottage in Wales, the details of which I don't know and using a Land Rover to get around there too. My knowledge isn't up to scratch though and I couldn't tell you when and where because it wasn't mentioned.

All I know so far is there's the feather rune decaled Range Rover attributed to Plant that was seen at a soundcheck for the Led Zeppelin show on Sunday, January 21 1973, I don't know if that date's helpful to you guys... Then the Moroccan rental 4x4 that took them from Agadir to Sidi Ifni (possibly also in 1973) of which very little is known and now this mystery Scottish/Welsh Land Rover to boot.If Jimmy couldn't drive that must put someone else at the wheel of the latter though.... The plot thickens!

I take it that the cottage to which you are referring is BronYAur, where they wrote songs for LZIII

On my travels last night I cam across a blog that mentioned Plant and Page hiring a cottage in Wales, the details of which I don't know and using a Land Rover to get around there too. My knowledge isn't up to scratch though and I couldn't tell you when and where because it wasn't mentioned.

I take it that the cottage to which you are referring is BronYAur, where they wrote songs for LZIII

It could well be, it was brief mention with no real date attatched to it and I'm not up on Zeppelin enough to make leaps like that on my own, I was a Black Sabbath kid growing up so my knowledge is patchy but please, don't hold that against me ;-)

Are there any photo archives I could be looking through? I know exactly what I'm looking for and I've worked my way through about thirty pages of the pictures here but if I can widen my search at all any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I know it's not what you are looking for but, anyway, take a look at post 579 of the Random News Articles thread where I posted a newspaper article about a vehicle previously owned by Robert. "...a pink, 2 1/4 -ton, 6 1/2 -litre 1959 Chrysler Imperial Crown Convertible once owned by Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, with its heavy metal 19ft 6in long by 6ft 7in wide dimensions."

I assume that you have read the thread "Robert Plant's Range Rover 1973".

If you are looking for photo archives, try Getty Images or Rex Features.

Thanks to source close to Plant that I've been able to get in touch with through a friend in the local music scene I've since been told he spent a portion of the 90's in a battered old Land Rover but that it disappeared again shortly afterwards.

Unfortuantely with no images and no way to get any closer to the man himself I'm afraid this is where the story comes to an end :-(

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/08/2008 at 5:40 AM, LZFord said:

OK, well here are some of the,

Cars of the song remains the same

BTW: does anyone know where that white Andy Brizio panel that Bonham drov is today, same with the Red 27', and the dragster.

I have also heard during early concerts zeppelin toured in Ford LTD's.

Also I heard Bonham bought a Jaguar XK150 after the 1st contract with atlantic records.

And i wish i could find a picture of this car, but back during the late sixties/early 70's there was a 1969 Pontiac GTO that raced at Detroit Dragway which was Red with a white hood and front bumper, and it had Zep written on the rear quarter panel.

Archived