The cars of zeppelin

LZFord

Thank you very much,Steve&Knebby!

I'm very happy to see those beautiful cars.

I had read an article that Jimmy presented Charlotte custom-built Mercedes Benz on her birthday in 1976. It was also written that Jimmy had ordered it to the Benz headquarters by telephone while recording with Bonzo in Switzerland. I see the real article that is the evidence for the first time.

By the way, does anyone know her date of birth?

Yes, this is great. When I was in high school if you were dating a cool guy he had to have a great car. We used to go down on roads that were barely traveled and the guys would race each other, then they would have us girls powderpuff race...and bet on which girl could win...until the police showed up....those were the days:-)

• 3 months later...

I was watching TSRTS opening sequence with Grant and Cole and had a question about the Pierce Arrow. I've seen a couple of references to the vehicle, one says it was a 1928 and one a 1929. Does anyone know what year it actually is?

It also displayed California plates HJV907 on the front. Did Grant own that or was it borrowed for the film?

Noticed the missing hood ornament when it was driving down the road. In the beginning it was there, then gone, then back again.

I guess I'm not getting any takers to answer my questions. I searched out some answers myself but if I am wrong please feel free to chime in and correct me.

I found more references to the car being 1928. The 1929 reference must have been in error.

One tid bit I did find on a web site that had a page from the book on Peter Grant (don't remember the author's name) said that the car over heated easily and some the the shots they had it moving on a trailer.

My husband came up with a plausable reason for the missing hood ornament. In some of the shots the camara was looking down the front of the hood through the windsheild and if they didn't want that big ornament in the way of the shot it would have to be removed. Someone wasn't paying attention to the continuity by making sure it was put back on for other shots. Made sense to me.

Haven't been able to figure out why the CA plates yet.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some pics of a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow 1972 (light brown with beige vynil (everflex) roof) which belonged to the boys and that Robert used to drive in England. Maybe someone have some pics or some informations about that. Thanks in advance for your help.

Your Welcome for the link, and thanks for that info Steve. I also read online that bonham owned a 54' ford with a 427 big block in it. And This is kind of unrelated but here is my car. A 1970 Ford Maverick Pro Street. Its only a rolling chassis now. But when its finished I want it dark Metalflake red and to have Starship II to be written on the door.

009go3.jpg

AMAZING :):):)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Led Zeppelin Drummer John Bonham’s 1915 Model T Up For Sale

[ 03 August 2011]

jb20110803_01.jpg

Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham’s vintage 1915 Model T automobile, reportedly the one featured in the band’s concert film The Song Remains the Same, is looking for a new home, but before you start checking your bank balances, there are some conditions

For 11 years, London area resident Bruce Screen has been the proud owner of the classic car once owned by the late Zeppelin drumming giant. He got his hands on the awesome piece of automotive rock and roll memorabilia in a deal in which he swapped an unnamed car for the Zep-related prize.

The cash value of the vehicle has been a frequently debated topic, to which Screen says: “there is no way of knowing because it’s so unique.” We’ll go out on a limb and guess that the former owner probably got the short end of the stick on this incredible deal, no matter what kind of car he got in return for the Model T.

When you own such a cool piece of rock and roll history, it’s understandable that you might be nervous about actually using it. And that’s been the case for Mr. Screen, who says he’s “too frightened to drive it on the roads.”

As a result, the car has been kept in a garage during most of the time that he’s owned it, and now he’s looking to find an appropriate museum (we can think of at least one idea) where people can enjoy it. “It needs to be seen and looked after. I’d be interested to hear from people with ideas about where it could go.”

• 4 months later...

This news report from March 2011...

GREECE’S first Vehicle Museum scheduled to open by March will include exhibits that cover almost a century, from a 1895 fire engine from Hungary to a 1980 Mercedes 450SL.

The museum, a highly-coveted private collection numbering 292 vehicles, is a childhood dream of Theodoros Charagionis, founder of Charagionis Group that currently focuses on real-estate development.

Charagionis started building his collection and restoring old cars as soon as he withdrew from car racing in the late 1970s. His dream was to document the history of the most cherished object the industrial revolution has produced along with contributing to the field of road safety via educational screenings and lectures.

Highlights in the collection include Paul Newman’s Mercedes 300SL Gullwing, Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant’s 1959 Chrysler Imperial, Formula 1 driver Lorenzo Bandini’s personal 1953 Lancia Aurelia and the 1979 Cadillac Seville Gucci with its Gucci-designed interior.

Some of the cars belong to historical figures of the arts and politics and were acquired through international auctions over the last three decades.

An alternative display will initially feature 111 vehicles to be replaced by 100-120 vehicles next year and by the remaining vehicles the year after that.

The museum also plans to host parallel theme exhibitions such as racing cars, tributes to the countries of origin of the vehicles in the collection and showcases of car manufacturers, including Ferrari.

Road safety simulation programmes for children and teenagers will give future drivers a sense of what it feels to drive under rough weather conditions like rain, snow and ice while the more adventurous ones will have the opportunity to try their hand on a Formula 1 simulator.

A wide range of collector-item memorabilia, including old prints and miniature models, will be available at the museum store.

The Vehicle Museum occupies the top level of the recently inaugurated multi-purpose building Athenian Capitol, a Charagionis Group investment which cost 45 million euros.

The 30,000m2, three-storey building is situated at the corner of Tritis Septemvriou and Ioulianou sts and was designed as a cultural, commercial and recreational facility.

Once complete, Athenian Capitol will also feature a conference centre, a 3D cinema, shops, restaurants, cafes and an eight-storey underground garage.

• 6 months later...

A car formerly owned by Peter Grant is being auctioned this November 24th.

1929 Pierce Arrow Model B Doctors Coupé

1929_piece_arrow_model_b_1.jpg

This 1929 Model B Doctor's Coupé was purchased in the 1960's by the legendary manager of Led Zeppelin, Peter Grant, while on tour in the USA and shipped to the United Kingdom with the returning Led Zeppelin tour equipment. The car is on offer today on behalf of the subsequent owner, a close friend of Peter Grant, who has looked after and treasured the car for the last forty years, including the time during Mr Grant's ownership. This very well maintained Pierce-Arrow has been serviced and MoT'd every year by NP Veteran Engineering; recent work carried out includes a new 'honey comb' radiator core, a modified cooling fan and overhauled brakes; work carried out to make sure the car was completely reliable as the current owner would transport it down to his house in the South of France every Summer. Whilst there it was used several times a week, stopping traffic when it passed and last year, even causing a Gendarme to stand to attention at the roadside and salute! This Model B is supplied with a V5C registration document, an MoT test certificate which expires in March 2013, old MoT's and tax discs and UK service history. The car is about to appear in a new book on 'Rockstars and their Cars' and the owner has more than a few interesting stories to impart to the new custodian. This is an opportunity to purchase an eminently usable and attractive motor car from one of America's finest manufacturers and with important rock music history.

http://www.historics...tors-coupé.aspx

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, I hate to drag up an old thread and introduce myself by asking for help at the same time but I've been researching an under documented side of Zeps car history over the past few days and having been brought to this rather interesting thread via Google, I'm wondering if perhaps you can't lend a hand and forgive my multiple faux pas...

I've been looking into the Land Rovers that Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are reported to have owned/rented. It started when I remembered reading about Robert arriving to some rehearsal or other in a Range Rover complete with feather rune on the bodywork, then digging around a little more I found out a Range Rover was also apparently a regular resident at Plumpton Place during Page's time there. The most interesting snippet came when I found a quote from Robert about the inspiration for Kashmir occuring behind the wheel of what's described by the author as a Ninety during a road trip in Morocco. Land Rover Nineties didn't exist back in the late seventies but Land Rovers like mine did...

I've found a few more loose connections as well but what I'd love is to track down any information at all on these vehicles if anyone has any at all! :-)

Hi guys, I hate to drag up an old thread and introduce myself by asking for help at the same time but I've been researching an under documented side of Zeps car history over the past few days and having been brought to this rather interesting thread via Google, I'm wondering if perhaps you can't lend a hand and forgive my multiple faux pas...

I've been looking into the Land Rovers that Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are reported to have owned/rented. It started when I remembered reading about Robert arriving to some rehearsal or other in a Range Rover complete with feather rune on the bodywork, then digging around a little more I found out a Range Rover was also apparently a regular resident at Plumpton Place during Page's time there. The most interesting snippet came when I found a quote from Robert about the inspiration for Kashmir occuring behind the wheel of what's described by the author as a Ninety during a road trip in Morocco. Land Rover Nineties didn't exist back in the late seventies but Land Rovers like mine did...

I've found a few more loose connections as well but what I'd love is to track down any information at all on these vehicles if anyone has any at all! :-)

Only last week, I saw on Ebay a 1980 Range Rover once owned by Peter Grant, It was Red, Automatic, and getting a few bids....

Cheers, that's pretty interesting. Well to Land Rover nerd and Zep fan it's pretty interesting, especially being a modded Range! It's not old enough to be Plants, his would have been very early seventies, possibly even a two door - making it a pretty rare beast in its own right - but it feels like I'm on the right track. There's definitely Land Rover DNA woven through Zeps early days. Late last night I even found an article about how Page used to tool around the towns near the Crowley haunted haunted loch house in an old Landy, decorated in deer antlers to boot!

Maybe it was a Rover P4 90. It would be fun to drive. I'm restoring one now....but I bought it over 30 years ago because of "the rover" and Zeppelin.

Maybe it was a Rover P4 90. It would be fun to drive. I'm restoring one now....but I bought it over 30 years ago because of "the rover" and Zeppelin.

I did wonder that, but how one would find its way to a rental desk in desert country was a little beyond me, then this quote on Robert Plants inspiration for his lyrics cleared things up a little -

The whole inspiration for the song came from the fact that the road was a single track cutting across the desert. It was like driving through a channel. I thought, this is great but one day, I'll see Kashmir." How ironic that the most popular make out song of the 1970s, a virtual ritual for seduce artists of the back seat was created in a most unsexy four wheel drive military vehicle in an arid desert!

Doesn't really sound like a P4, but it does mean that somewhere out there, there's a truck very similar to my own that inspired the lyrics to one of the greatest driving/backseat make out songs ever recorded and nobody seems to know anything about it which is a real shame!

Late last night I even found an article about how Page used to tool around the towns near the Crowley haunted haunted loch house in an old Landy, decorated in deer antlers to boot!

Please post that article here if you have any inclination to do so.

Yes, please post the article here - it should be straightforward for you to do so. Jimmy did not have a UK driving licence, so the only way he would be able to do what you are saying is in the article, is if someone else was driving. For JPP to drive without a licence would be a strict liability statutory offence in Scotland.

Let's see the article. Thanking you in anticipation.

. Late last night I even found an article about how Page used to tool around the towns near the Crowley haunted haunted loch house in an old Landy, decorated in deer antlers to boot!

http://www.newdawnmagazine.com/articles/rocks-sympathy-for-the-devil

Jimmy Page purchased as many artefacts and first edition books belonging to Crowley that he could find. In 1969, Kenneth Anger rented Crowley’s old (seriously haunted) house Boleskine on the shores of Loch Ness where he lived in the 1900s for a few months. When it came on the market for sale, Anger suggested to Page he should buy it. This he did and hired an occult artist called Charles Pace to paint suitable atmospheric magical murals in each room. The Led Zeppelin guitarist could be seen driving around the area like a Scottish laird in a Land Rover with a stack of stag’s antlers on the bonnet. Page also visited Sicily and contemplated buying the old villa where Crowley established his ‘Abbey of Thelema’ in the 1920s.

While it's not exactly the most credible source for Zep history and I'll be honest, I'm not clued up on who was licensed to drive amongst the band members at that time, it seems an odd detail to fabricate!

Thanks. If he were being driven around by someone, it wouldn't have been other band members up at Boleskine. Jimmy to this day cannot drive, so if he were indeed seen around the Inverness area in a Land Rover, it would have been someone else driving.

A couple of months back, I printed some comments by the photographer who did the iconic shot of Jimmy outside Boleskine, and he said that he had to drive Jimmy there in Jimmy's Bentley. (he then had to cook Jimmy baked beans on toast, but that's another story!!!).

I recall the Factor at Boleskine, Malcolm Dent, saying that Jimmy was hardly ever at the property during his period of ownership.

While it's not exactly the most credible source for Zep history and I'll be honest, I'm not clued up on who was licensed to drive amongst the band members at that time, it seems an odd detail to fabricate!

I don't want to take this thread off topic so suffice to say everything in the excerpt from the article is essentially correct. However, as kenog pointed Jimmy's transportation would have been the responsibility of someone other than himself as he didn't drive.

Archived