The cars of zeppelin

LZFord

Sadly I made a scrapbook back then and in my youthful naivety didn't date most of the clippings, or record where they came from- they look typical Melody Maker items tho.

It would be nice if someone could date them.

(edit - I just thought too of the "Rod of the week" reference - that was a Melody Maker feature.)

Sadly I made a scrapbook back then and in my youthful naivety didn't date most of the clippings, or record where they came from- they look typical Melody Maker items tho.

(edit - I just tought too of the "Rod of the week" reference - that was a Melody Maker feature.)

Melody Maker. I'll see what I can find out. It would seem the second article ran in

Sept/Oct '76 (with Presence having been their new release) but no exact date yet.

Author Howard Mylett also maintained an extensive collection of scrapbooks, but

they were unfortunately never returned to him after having lent them. The death

of Peter Grant made a return arrangement seemingly impossible, according to him.

I have a NME Originals 1960's special which includes an article on Zeppelin from Melody Maker, 20 December 1969 (p.33, if you have it).

It mentions 'his [Jimmy's] chauffer-driven car, hastening to town via M4 got into a "skid and a bump".

Chris Welch, who wrote the article, also mentions: 'Our conversation was interrupted by the necessity for Jimmy to leave the Savoy and drive to Mayfair to buy a Rolls Royce before the shops shut'.

So, I guess around that time he bought himself a Rolls.

Producing Led Zeppelin's motion picture The Song Remains The Same:

Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant meeting with film director Peter Clifton

Horselunges Manor in Hellingly, Sussex, England Autumn 1974

Photos (from the original negatives) courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

1974_PeterGrant1.jpg

1974_PeterGrant2.jpg

1974_PeterGrant3.jpg

pk300.jpg

pk301.jpg

Knebby and Steve, thanks for scanning and posting those interesting photos and articles!

Two short comments:

When I was younger, as fascinated as I was by Grant and his interactions with the Zep guys, I thought that he a person to be feared and avoided (I imagine that, if you were an illegal taper, that was true). As I got older, I realized what an incredibly important role he played in the life of the band and I've gotten to the point where I love to see those old photos of Grant involved with Zep.

The photo of the beautiful car and flowers that Jimmy gave to Charlotte is lovely. When I was young, I thought that they were an incredibly gorgeous and sophisticated couple.

SteveA Jones

This "SteveAJones Archive" stuff? Did you, like, take those photos yourself? Dude? :)

Were you, like THERE, dude? :o

That disclaimer makes it clear from whence they came, not necessarily who took them

(Pennie Smith of New Musical Express in Autumn 1974). I have been there myself. :)

(edit - I just thought too of the "Rod of the week" reference - that was a Melody Maker feature.)

Tell me about it. Not only did I not date and record the source of my clippings, I was so youthfully naive that I have some pages in my scrapbook where I cut the Zep guys photos out of articles, made them into paper dolls, and pasted them around the page as decorations! headwall.gif

He's driving a pretty nice Audi, not that old. Still has his old truck. B)

pk302.jpg

Cool! Hells yeah I'd let that man pick me up!!!! :D

I had a '66 Ford Custom Cab I miss so much. I love trucks!

I love trucks! When our oldest kids were little and we lived overseas, we had a '57 Chevy.

Spitzkoppe.jpg

Tell me about it. Not only did I not date and record the source of my clippings, I was so youthfully naive that I have some pages in my scrapbook where I cut the Zep guys photos out of articles, made them into paper dolls, and pasted them around the page as decorations! headwall.gif

I love trucks! When our oldest kids were little and we lived overseas, we had a '57 Chevy.

Spitzkoppe.jpg

Ahahahah!! MAD, that should go into the "Ya know yer a Zep Freak when..." thread. Paper dolls, brilliant!!! :)

lol, My dad had a 55' ford truck, and currently my mom has a 72' f-100.

I saw that jeep before but it needs more horsepower, if only i could have my car autographed....

Im trying to think of a cool name for my car, "Starship II" and "Hammer of the Gods" are all i can think of any other suggestions? Also though "Airway to Revvin'" should be on the hoodscoop.

Last I heard the Andy Brizio panel was owned by a private collector in England.

Richard Cole (and numerous concert attendees) have confirmed they travelled in a

panelled station wagon during their first North American tour.

Yep. It still appears regularly at custom car shows in the UK.

pk301.jpg

Thank you very much,Steve&Knebby!

I'm very happy to see those beautiful cars.

I had read an article that Jimmy presented Charlotte custom-built Mercedes Benz on her birthday in 1976. It was also written that Jimmy had ordered it to the Benz headquarters by telephone while recording with Bonzo in Switzerland. I see the real article that is the evidence for the first time.

By the way, does anyone know her date of birth?

• 1 month later...

Well, I found a few other cars.

Page bought a dark blue 1937 Cord Sportsman 812 at the same time Bonzo bought a 1928 Duesnburg model A and Grant bought a Black and Blue Pierce Silver Arrow.

It turn's out page had an affection for cars too, as he owned a Bentley, an Austin Champ Army Jeep, and a Mercedes with running boards, yet he never got a Driver's license. He said "I just never bothered to get one".

Wish i knew more....

• 9 months later...

Sorry to be bumping this thread, but does anyone know wether Pagey owned an Austin Military Jeep, or a Range Rover, or more than likely both? Richard Cole has stated that he was a car buff even though he never got a liscence.

I remember seeing an interview with Jones where he was talking about the day before a show in LA, Bonzo went out and bought a new Charger with a high out put hemi. He was foolishly flying down Sunset at a high rate of speed, two LA cop's pulled him over jumping out of there patrol car gun's drawn! Bonzo popped out of the car, opened up the hood and the three of them ended up swapping shop about that brand new car he got.

Archived