Fitba

ally

WTF is really going on at St James's ?

DEFINITELY no takers on that one.

The game is fucked up and has been heading that way since Roy "I hate overpaid footballers" Keane got the first £50, 000 -per-week wage. It can't be saved.

DEFINITELY no takers on that one.

The game is fucked up and has been heading that way since Roy "I hate overpaid footballers" Keane got the first £50, 000 -per-week wage. It can't be saved.

Sadly ( Because I love the game ), I've got to agree on that one. Too many great clubs being pushed aside by foreign investment. History seems to mean nothing.

I've said for years that spending on wages should be capped, spending per-transfer-window should be capped - both to ONE level throughout the whole FA - and teams should be forced to field a minimum of 5 home-grown players - and I mean home-grown from their own city through their own youth teams. Its too late now though. The week Man City were bought by Arabs, Curbs left, and Keegan left has changed football forever for me, very sad to say.

I've said for years that spending on wages should be capped, spending per-transfer-window should be capped - both to ONE level throughout the whole FA - and teams should be forced to field a minimum of 5 home-grown players - and I mean home-grown from their own city through their own youth teams. Its too late now though. The week Man City were bought by Arabs, Curbs left, and Keegan left has changed football forever for me, very sad to say.

Couldn't agree more Knebby. The home grown talent is and has alway's been there. I'd go as far as getting rid of the January transfer window period. If you can't get your shit togrther during the summer opening then it's about time you started playing some of your youth players instead of putting them out on loan

Couldn't agree more Knebby. The home grown talent is and has alway's been there. I'd go as far as getting rid of the January transfer window period. If you can't get your shit togrther during the summer opening then it's about time you started playing some of your youth players instead of putting them out on loan

I was about to disagree re the January window as I always think of it as a security net for unexpected injuries, but then I read your last sentence and yeah, you're right.

Can't really agree over the 'home grown players' bit - football has never consisted of teams of local players - when Liverpool were formed in 1892, the bulk of the team were Scottish. When we won the FA Cup in 1986, there were no English players in the starting line up. Forcing teams to play someone simply because of their place of birth can only weaken football. If local players are good enough, they will come through. If not, other players will take their place.

Can't really agree over the 'home grown players' bit - football has never consisted of teams of local players - when Liverpool were formed in 1892, the bulk of the team were Scottish. When we won the FA Cup in 1986, there were no English players in the starting line up. Forcing teams to play someone simply because of their place of birth can only weaken football. If local players are good enough, they will come through. If not, other players will take their place.

Well yeah it has - that's how it started - the formation of Liverpool wasn't the start of football no matter how much you love them!

But we're not all going to agree, I know that. I guess you share our feelings about the game being all about money now though?

Well, yeah - too much money is ruining the game, but it's unfortunately an irreversible process, short of a catastrophic collapse of half of the premier league! Obviously, football didn't begin with Liverpool's foundation, although I think 1892 is long enough ago for us to say that teams of non-locals are here to stay, have been common for most of football's history, and are not the cause of the game's current malaise.

The wages some of these footballer's get are shocking. And some of them are as thick as pigshit. They wouldn't be paid that much if they weren't playing football, so what makes their wages so justifiable? They kick a ball about for 90 minutes. How about the people who slog their gut's out saving lives, trying to reduce crime, maintaining a decent education for kids, etc? They love the game that much, they'd be content to earn a smidgen of that.

We need youth academies. Forest have one, and it does quite well. My brother worked for them for a time, going around all the schools in Nottingham, teaching the basics of football. It's these youngsters that start the ball rolling. The more dedicated they become, the better chance they have of playing for the team itself, thus reducing the amount of foreign players.

But Forest are a Championship side and if you aren't in the top four, it don't really matter, does it? To the average fan it's not about money, it's about football. And, unfortunately, everyone seems to be bucking this trend for foreign takeovers and million pound players. Robinho may have a £33m price to his name, but does he play with his heart? Does he give a shit about the average Man City fan?

I was referring to clubs developing they're own player's. It doesn't matter where they come from but clubs should be doing a better job of this. If they wish to sell a player on, then that's they're buisness but to ignore the need for strong academies simply makes for a weak foundation.

Some great points made already on this, a subject which inflames people's passions like very few if any other subject can - after all, you can change your friends ...... you can change your religion ... you can change your politics, you can change your nationality - but you cannot change your football team.

And I'll definitely row in with the opinion that it's the unimaginably vast sums of money which has a lot to do with the bad side of the game. And just as the big financial institutions around the world have been crumbling lately, it is surely only a question of time before the same fate befalls many of the worlds top clubs - these billionaire owners won't be here forever. they will eventually get tired of chucking fortunes down the drain, and will find themselves a new and less expensive toy to play with.

Some great points made already on this, a subject which inflames people's passions like very few if any other subject can - after all, you can change your friends ...... you can change your religion ... you can change your politics, you can change your nationality - but you cannot change your football team.

And I'll definitely row in with the opinion that it's the unimaginably vast sums of money which has a lot to do with the bad side of the game. And just as the big financial institutions around the world have been crumbling lately, it is surely only a question of time before the same fate befalls many of the worlds top clubs - these billionaire owners won't be here forever. they will eventually get tired of chucking fortunes down the drain, and will find themselves a new and less expensive toy to play with.

The money is killing the game domestically. So many clubs and so few with the cash to actually challenge for the league. I will say though that I admire the supporters of the have not's for putting they're hard earned money into they're clubs. It just seems a shame because that piece of silveware is never going to be in the cards for them. You have to wonder how long it's going to be before those supporters decide to call it a day.

Mind you, with the size of these TV deals, the Premeirship is probably not all that concerned :(

The concept of the game is just fine, and I played for both schools, but I have to agree with the above comments that refer to the money aspects of the game. What saw it off for me was the shambolic performance of the England team at the last World Cup, and I've not watched any football since. Nowadays, my sentiments are the same as Bonzo's at Earls Court (see below).

RB

Archived