Townshend

dfunk

You can send questions to Pete on the Who website. This was the queston followed by Pete's answer.

Tonne99: What was your reaction to hearing Jimmy Page was trying to steal members of your band? Did your feelings change over time? P.S. Have you heard Alejandro Escovedo's Sensitive Boys?

I'm not sure that was what happened. Roger and Keith locked horns and they both left the band briefly. We were all children. We were full of really silly ideas and we came to our senses quickly. Do you know what Keith and John wanted to call their new band? It's so daft. "Led Zeppelin". You have to laugh.

PS I just Googled Alehandro etc and so now I've heard it.

I'm not sure that was what happened. Roger and Keith locked horns and they both left the band briefly. We were all children. We were full of really silly ideas and we came to our senses quickly. Do you know what Keith and John wanted to call their new band? It's so daft. "Led Zeppelin". You have to laugh.

PS I just Googled Alehandro etc and so now I've heard it.

Wow, he just blamed Roger. The story has always been there were problems between Keith, John and Roger against Pete Townshend and manager Kit Lambert.

Wait a minute.. first he says he says "Rodger and Keith locked horns".., then he says "Keith and John" regarding the band name...

That seems odd. Its like he crossed his story...

They were probably un-related incidents brought together by Led Zeppelin commonality, but I thought it was interesting that these events were likely really close to each-other on the overall timeline of things...

It does fit with what Meg said above though... its like he didn't want to admit that all 3 bandmates were on the fringe and thinking Jimmy Page...

Disclaimer: by no means am I trying to start a conspiracy... just putting it out there for discussion.

"Locked horns" means argued/fought.

So: Keith & Rog fought, & both left the band briefly. Keith & John (with whom he had not fought) were going to form a band & call it Led Zeppelin.

No crossed wires at all in that.

Archived