Les Paul Tribute Nov. 15

Virginia

Hi again Stargroves Tangie!

I don't know if the CD is availabe at other outlets but they had plenty of them at the RRHF. I would guess that you could go on their web site as they do sell thier items there.

I think that there will be a new CD from the artists from the Nov. 15th tribute concert as Slash and Richie Sambora both referred to songs that they wrote and performed for Les and "the Hall of Famers" at the show. And Slash said that he had never played his song live before, which I think was titled "Vocalise".

The RRHF also had a book that I bought about the life of Les Paul. It is filled with pictures of all the models of the Gibson Les Paul's as well as very complete details of the features of each model. It has pictures of all the Rock Stars playing the various models. There are several pictures of Jimmy in it. It is called "The Early Years of Les Paul Legacy 1915-1963". About 200 pages of the book are about each guitar model from year to year, and about 50 pages about Les Paul. I am going to read it over Thanksgiving to get an education on these guitars so maybe I will be able to spot one somewhere and know if it is a custom or a standard and what year it was from. I would highly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in these guitars. You can probably buy it on the RRHF web site also.

Here is an interesting snipet from the book I mentioned about the legacy of Les Paul and about the Gibson Les Paul guitar.

It is an interview with Albert Lee, a British country player. The interviewer is Robb Lawrence, the author of the book.

"Robb: Tell us the story of how you influenced Jimmy Page to play Les Paul guitars.

Albert: We used to play together around the West End of London. There was a little coffee bar called the Two Eyes where we played four or five nights a week. We each were paid a pound a night. On the weekends, we'd go out and do club gigs. So I was working as a professional musician at 17, playing at the Two Eyes.

Jimmy Page played a Gretsch at the time. I had the Les Paul, and he loved it. I also had a Supro with a 15-inch Jensen, which he loved. Jimmy went out and bought a Les Paul, and a Supro as well. He didn't buy the big one. I heard he used that Supro on a lot of the Zeppelin tracks. It's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He bought that amp because he liked mine. So that's how that came about, but I don't know how long he had it. I guess he had it a couple of years, and then everyone was after the Les Paul Standards. So he probably traded it in for a regular Les Paul Sunburst. Everyone wanted them. So that's the story of Jimmy Page."

I love the name of the coffee bar: "Two Eyes" :lol:

Also, the Supro amp was no where to be seen at the RRHF when I was there. They do change the exhibits periodically, and it may have been in storage or Jimmy may have taken it back, who knows.

Hi Stargroves Tangie!

Steve Miller happened to be in Columbus, Ohio on November 15th for a concert of his own so he couldn't make it to the tribute. So close to Les but yet so far away. Steve did write a note about Les and it was printed on the last page of the concert program. Here is what he said:

"It's a pleasure to see Les Paul being honored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

It is especially good to see the dust and fog of time removed from his legacy if for only one week. Be sure to listen to 10 or 20 of his top ten hits, check out the exhibits, listen to the early nightclub recordings, watch the film and attend the concert of adoring super guitarists being given in his honor and discover for your self what it means to be a GIANT.

If you built a pyriamid of all the electric guitar players in the world, including T-Bone Walker, B.B. King, Tal Farlow, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Freddy King, Albert King, Eric Johnson, Jimmy and Stevie Ray Vaughn and anyone else who has touched your soul with an electric guitar, the complete base of the pyramid would be Les Paul. Every electric guitar player that has ever existed is standing on Les Paul's very creative, very strong and very B-R-O-A-D shoulders. You can find out why in this American Music Masters celebration.

The best thing is you can see him play live every Monday night at the Iridium in Manhattan and find out where the word 'chops' was invented. I know that's where I'll be. See ya in a minute.

Cheers Les!

Steve Miller"

Oh, thanks so much for that, and for your excellent report! Steve Miller was one of my favorites in high school, and I too had no idea he had such a connection to Les Paul. Explains a bit, doesn't it?

Like Mad, I thought that was simply a type of guitar for the longest time, as well. :D But he's a fantastic person.

Sounds like an awesome weekend.

Whats kinda interesting is that on the same night, November 15th, I was at the house of blues in Cleveland seeing Zoso, a Led Zeppelin tribute band that was absolutely amazing...

I thought it was kind of a cool coincidence anyway... :D

Zoso was in Columbus on Friday November 14 at the Newport. I thought about going to see them but went to the Bond movie instead. How were they?

I also walked by the House of Blues after the Les Paul Tribute and there was a big crowd outside. And that place next door was busting at the seams with people.

Another cool coincidence. :D

Zoso was in Columbus on Friday November 14 at the Newport. I thought about going to see them but went to the Bond movie instead. How were they?

I also walked by the House of Blues after the Les Paul Tribute and there was a big crowd outside. And that place next door was busting at the seams with people.

Another cool coincidence. :D

I've seen Zoso a few times here and once in FL, and they're fun.SimiJimmy is pretty good as well as the others.Check them out if they come around again.You won't be disappointed.

Edited to add: Your review was awesome and much appreciated.Thanks.(I'm an ex Clevelander) :)

• 1 month later...

Archived