Is Zep a Super Group

McSeven

Yes another question. Is Zeppelin a Super Group and what is a Super Group? To me some band are not Super Groups. AcDc is not a Super Group. Neither are the Stones. The Who are. Judas Priest are.

I define a Super Group as each member of the band does more than keep the beat. Thier personalities are so dynamic that they influnce others groups as well.

For example. Ginger Baker-Cream/KMoon- The Who/ LZ-Bonzo are more or less on the same level. People always reference thier drumming style. They are not on the same level as RStones-CWatts and the Beatles-Ringo Starr.

The Beatles are great song writers, but live they can't touch the magic of Zep. The Who/Hendrix/Cream/Sabbath are the only ones that could rival them live.

Mc7

Well like caroselambra said that is what a supergruop is. Jimmy was already a famous guitarist for his session work and later as guitarist for The Yardbirds, John Paul was a somewhat well known session musician but he wasn't famous, Robert had been in a few bands and had even cut a few solo tracks from 66-68 but he was still unheard of, and lastly Bonzo had been in The Band Of Joy with Robert but the band broke up and he went on to work with a famous musician (I can't recall his name) but he only did for a short before he joined The New Yardbirds (Led Zeppelin). So no they are not a supergroup, but by your definition McSeven they are :D.

Edited by pinky

Yes another question. Is Zeppelin a Super Group and what is a Super Group? To me some band are not Super Groups. AcDc is not a Super Group. Neither are the Stones. The Who are. Judas Priest are.

I define a Super Group as each member of the band does more than keep the beat. Thier personalities are so dynamic that they influnce others groups as well.

For example. Ginger Baker-Cream/KMoon- The Who/ LZ-Bonzo are more or less on the same level. People always reference thier drumming style. They are not on the same level as RStones-CWatts and the Beatles-Ringo Starr.

The Beatles are great song writers, but live they can't touch the magic of Zep. The Who/Hendrix/Cream/Sabbath are the only ones that could rival them live.

Mc7

Supergroup seems attached to the commercial success of a band,a term from the 70s. I would say that Zeppelin were in the 70s the supergroup of supergroups(though Pink Floyd gave them a good run for their money-they may have even sold more albums than Zeppelin to date).

Edited by euro

As previously mentioned the term supergroup orignally meant that the members that make up the band were previously famous from their work in other bands before coming together, and as I far as I know it still means that. A lot of books point to Cream as the first supergroup and while that may have been true in the UK I don't think many people outside of the UK knew who Bruce and Baker were. The first band I remember being called a supergroup was Blind Faith, pretty much every rock history book points to them as the first.

Here's the wiki entry for supergroup.

wiki supergroup

Supergroup seems attached to the commercial success of a band,a term from the 70s. I would say that Zeppelin were in the 70s the supergroup of supergroups(though Pink Floyd gave them a good run for their money-they may have even sold more albums than Zeppelin to date).

The term "supergroup" has nothing to do with sucess of the band or the talent of its members, it is simply when musicians previously famous form a band. And Pink Floyd has not sold more than Led Zeppelin.

• 10 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2008 at 8:39 PM, McSeven said:

Mc7

Judas Preist a Supergroup:'(, they're not even super, imho of course, many may disagree. (Nick, if your here)