Stolen song?

Clari

Hello everybody! I'm Clara, writing from Argentina. I've just become a memeber because last night I was driving in my car with some friends and listening D'Yer Mak'er and when the song started a friend told me "That's Sean Kingston's song" I told her she was completly wrong and then completly for got it, but today as I was watching TV I saw the song and remembered, so I kept on watching and when I heard the chorus I was mad as hell! I couldn't believe it!

Did he o ir did he not steal the song?

Thank you for reading me, and I'm sorry if I'm writing something that isn't true or if I offend anyone.

Best wishes.

Clara

Hi Clara,

Sean Kingston did not "steal" the song. If you look at the writing credits for "Me Love", you'll see that it's credited to Page/Plant/Bonham/Jones/Kingston/Rotem. Kingston is paying royalties just like anyone else who records a Led Zeppelin song.

I don't really understand how rolaties work, did he have to get permission from the boys to use these songs? He also used 2 other songs. I think he used a Phil Collins song, don't know the name. It does go I can feel it coming in the air tonight... And he also used Stand By Me, don't know if it was the Lennon of King version but that is besides the point.

I don't really understand how rolaties work, did he have to get permission from the boys to use these songs? He also used 2 other songs. I think he used a Phil Collins song, don't know the name. It does go I can feel it coming in the air tonight... And he also used Stand By Me, don't know if it was the Lennon of King version but that is besides the point.

If you record another artists' song, the royalties come from any sale of the album, the original artist gets a certain portion of the profits. Controversy has ensued when artists do this but pass the song off as their own, rather than crediting the original songwriter.

But did Jimmy actually give permission to him to use the song? I've heard this rapper's song and I don't think Jimmy would give permission for it to be used.

Page also worked with Puff Daddy so you never know. Then again, I'm not sure the original artist has to actually be contacted for permission, the songwriters just have to be credited so they can receive royalties.

As long as the original songwriter's name appears as a writing credit, they are not legally bound to sue.

Edited to Add: This is why Page/Plant got in so much hot water with Willie Dixon and why other artists have publically lashed out at other artists' having ripped them off.

Page also worked with Puff Daddy so you never know. Then again, I'm not sure the original artist has to actually be contacted for permission, the songwriters just have to be credited so they can receive royalties.

I wouldn't think so either as long as they're credited. It's possible I suppose that some artists may have stipulations about certain songs being recorded by other artists but I've not heard of any offhand.

Hello everybody! I'm Clara, writing from Argentina. I've just become a memeber because last night I was driving in my car with some friends and listening D'Yer Mak'er and when the song started a friend told me "That's Sean Kingston's song" I told her she was completly wrong and then completly for got it, but today as I was watching TV I saw the song and remembered, so I kept on watching and when I heard the chorus I was mad as hell! I couldn't believe it!

Did he o ir did he not steal the song?

Thank you for reading me, and I'm sorry if I'm writing something that isn't true or if I offend anyone.

Best wishes.

Clara

and boy what an ug rendition. no one gets suicidal with his copycat remix that's for sure.

edit: P.S. and hello to you clara. bienvenidos!

its called a sample.. he paid royalties for it.. his record company has to.. and zepps was based on rosie and the originals trying to do doowop and its an original song but it was based on that band in the 1950s but the chorus was plants lyrics and he legally (kingston) sampled it .. its a terrible song but he didnt do it illegally is what im saying

I don't really understand how rolaties work, did he have to get permission from the boys to use these songs?

If you do a straight cover of a song, you do NOT have to get permission. But if you decide to re-write a song or combine 2 songs (like Kingston did), then you DO need to get permission. Otherwise, Jimmy could have sued for 100% of the royalties.

If you do a straight cover of a song, you do NOT have to get permission. But if you decide to re-write a song or combine 2 songs (like Kingston did), then you DO need to get permission. Otherwise, Jimmy could have sued for 100% of the royalties.

exactly but kingston legally did it..so no issue

exactly but kingston legally did it..so no issue

The fact that Zep is credited as co-writers is an indication that 1 of 2 things must have happened:

1. he got permission.

or

2. he got sued.

You can't create a medley of 2 songs without getting permission of ALL the songwriters involved.

The fact that Zep is credited as co-writers is an indication that 1 of 2 things must have happened:

1. he got permission.

or

2. he got sued.

You can't create a medley of 2 songs without getting permission of ALL the songwriters involved.

it would have been a huge lawsuit and would have been all over the news..all rappers hip hop fags do it.. sample rock n roll esp zeppelin and bonzo's beats.. i would almost guarantee kingston did the right thing cuz u dont mess with pagey

Archived